Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I test the first char of each line in an array Post 302722123 by Marc G on Friday 26th of October 2012 11:25:57 AM
Old 10-26-2012
How do I test the first char of each line in an array

Hi folks,

I am self-learning as I can

I have a script that has read a file into an array.
I can read out each line in the array with the code:
Code:
for INDEX in {0..$LENGTH}   ## $LENGTH was determined at the read in
do
  echo "${data[$INDEX]}"
done

What I need to do is test the first char of each line so I can branch out for processing.
In essence, the psudo-code looks like this:
Code:
for INDEX in {0..$LENGTH}   ## $LENGTH was determined at the read in
do
  If the first char of "${data[$INDEX]}" = " " then skip
   or
  If the first char of "${data[$INDEX]}" = "!" then skip
   else
    Capture the current line into a second array to be referenced later in
       the script
done

But I've searching not seen anything I can understand
Thanks for any help

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

char array problem

hello i have a program in C (Unix - SOlaris5.7), and i have the next question: i have a lot of char variable, and i want store their values in a char array. The problem is what i donīt know how to put the char variable's value into the array, and i don`t know how to define the array please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
4 Replies

2. Programming

char array

hi, I have variable like, char keyword = "TRANSPARENCY "; while passing this variable to some function, first character of variable becomes null, but rest of characters still exist. Why this happens or something wrong with declaration. Their is no error while compiling & running... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avadhani
2 Replies

3. Programming

Passing by value a char array

Hi I am passing or want to pass value of a char array, so that even thoug the called routine is changing the values the calling function should not see the values changed, meaning only copy should be passed Here is the program #include<iostream.h> #include<string.h> void f(char a); int... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkraj
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

test the string is char or integer

How will test the string contains numeric character or alphabet, is there any script to test ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh08
10 Replies

5. Programming

Array of char

I'm doing some coding in C++ Want to have a long empty string like below const char ModMisfit :: DelStr = "\r \r"; However due to the long blank the line is very long. Is there any way to avoid this and keep the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how first char in odd line and second char in even line

Hi I m having ifconfig -a o/p like sbanlab1:ksh# ifconfig -a | egrep "flags|inet" | awk -F' ' '{print $1,$2}' lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> inet 127.0.0.1 lo0:1: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> inet 127.0.0.1 bge0:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
1 Replies

7. Programming

help with char pointer array in C

i have an array like #define NUM 8 .... new_socket_fd = accept(socket_fd, (struct sockaddr *) &cli_addr, &client_length); char *items = {"one", "two", "three", "four", "five", "six", "seven", "eight"}; char *item_name_length = {"3", "3", "5", "4", "4", "3", "5", "5"}; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

8. Programming

char array

cat int.c int main() { unsigned char wwn; wwn=50; wwn=00; wwn=53; wwn=30; wwn=08; wwn=09; wwn=82; wwn=17; printf("WWN: %02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x:%02x\n ", wwn, wwn, wwn, wwn, wwn,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: powyama
8 Replies

9. Programming

Returning char array

I want to return a char array to the main() function, but its returning garbage value. #include<stdio.h> //#include<conio.h> #include<string.h> char* strtrmm(); int main() { char str1,c1; printf("\n Enter the string:"); gets(str1); //strtrmm(str1); printf("%s",strtrmm(str1));... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zinat
2 Replies
INDEX(7) SQL Commands ALTER INDEX(7) NAME
ALTER INDEX - change the definition of an index SYNOPSIS
ALTER INDEX name RENAME TO new_name ALTER INDEX name SET TABLESPACE tablespace_name ALTER INDEX name SET ( storage_parameter = value [, ... ] ) ALTER INDEX name RESET ( storage_parameter [, ... ] ) DESCRIPTION
ALTER INDEX changes the definition of an existing index. There are several subforms: RENAME The RENAME form changes the name of the index. There is no effect on the stored data. SET TABLESPACE This form changes the index's tablespace to the specified tablespace and moves the data file(s) associated with the index to the new tablespace. See also CREATE TABLESPACE [create_tablespace(7)]. SET ( storage_parameter = value [, ... ] ) This form changes one or more index-method-specific storage parameters for the index. See CREATE INDEX [create_index(7)] for details on the available parameters. Note that the index contents will not be modified immediately by this command; depending on the parame- ter you might need to rebuild the index with REINDEX [reindex(7)] to get the desired effects. RESET ( storage_parameter [, ... ] ) This form resets one or more index-method-specific storage parameters to their defaults. As with SET, a REINDEX might be needed to update the index entirely. PARAMETERS
name The name (possibly schema-qualified) of an existing index to alter. new_name The new name for the index. tablespace_name The tablespace to which the index will be moved. storage_parameter The name of an index-method-specific storage parameter. value The new value for an index-method-specific storage parameter. This might be a number or a word depending on the parameter. NOTES
These operations are also possible using ALTER TABLE [alter_table(7)]. ALTER INDEX is in fact just an alias for the forms of ALTER TABLE that apply to indexes. There was formerly an ALTER INDEX OWNER variant, but this is now ignored (with a warning). An index cannot have an owner different from its table's owner. Changing the table's owner automatically changes the index as well. Changing any part of a system catalog index is not permitted. EXAMPLES
To rename an existing index: ALTER INDEX distributors RENAME TO suppliers; To move an index to a different tablespace: ALTER INDEX distributors SET TABLESPACE fasttablespace; To change an index's fill factor (assuming that the index method supports it): ALTER INDEX distributors SET (fillfactor = 75); REINDEX INDEX distributors; COMPATIBILITY
ALTER INDEX is a PostgreSQL extension. SEE ALSO
CREATE INDEX [create_index(7)], REINDEX [reindex(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 ALTER INDEX(7)