Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Echoing command results
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Echoing command results Post 302721631 by rdrtx1 on Thursday 25th of October 2012 03:24:48 PM
Old 10-25-2012
try:
Code:
echo `history 2 | grep -v history | awk '{print $3}'`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting the Results of a Command to a Variable

Hi, Hi, I run the command: hostname to get the host back from the server: db201 Now, I need to take that result and set it to a variable. Can anyone help me with this?? I need to be able to use the same script on multiple servers so I do not want to hardcode the hostname result into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stky13
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining command results, and substitution

Hello community I'd like to join to command results and put it to the same line in one file, how can I do that? file: a.txt so when I put Date '+%H:%M' and echo date '+%D' in the file appears 14:44 01/05/08 not 14:44 01/05/08 I like to know how can I make a substituion of a whole... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncatdesigner
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting results after using ps command

Hi, I want to use the following ps coomand: ps -ef | grep test Result of this command is: Test 161220 1 0 Oct 04 - 1:11 /test/test Just mentioning the description of each value in the result: UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD Test 161220... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yale_work
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

df and du command showing different results

I recently encountered this on the AIX system df command showed usage is 100% i.e 1.5 GB while du command showed usage is only 500MB Why are the 2 commands showing different output This command shows usage is 1.5 GB nlxdsm29:deqadm 24> df -k . /usr/sap/DEQ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameya_joshi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH with and without command gives different results

works as expected $ ssh 172.24.40.100 Last login: Mon Jan 1 06:07:24 2001 from 172.24.41.78 # /path/script.sh gives me error consistent with env setup $ ssh 172.24.40.100 /path/script.sh Which implies the latter is running the script.sh on host a, when I want to 'launch' in from a, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IanVaughan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Acting on results from a grep command

Hi, I am currently reading a tar file and searching for a particular word using grep e.g. Plane. At the moment, if a sentence is found with the word "Plane" the sentence itself is piped to another file. Here is the code i am using; for jar in 'cat jar_file.tar'; do tar -tvf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchie
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

echoing date command into file

I want to echo into file1 echo & date commands, which in turn will be echoed into file2 string and the current date. So when I'll run file1 it will echo into file2 the commands 'echo' & 'date' My problem is that the date command turns into the actual date value. Example:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liav
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

echoing complex awk command into file fails

Using hp-ux's shell, I'm trying to echo a complex awk command into a script file for later use. But it fails on a newline character and splits the rest of the command onto the next line. echo ' printf("%s: TOTAL = %18.0lf\n", FILENAME, TOTAL) >> "TOTAL.TXT";' >>awk.script Looks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get results from grep command

Hi, i have a file hello.log which as several line that look like the below 2015-12-07 09:46:56 0:339 120.111.12.12 POST /helloWorld 2015-12-07 09:46:57 0:439 122.111.12.12 POST /helloWorld .... when i grep expecting to see results like the below. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find with rm command gives strange results

I want to remove any files that are older than 2 days from a directory. It deletes those files. Then it comes back with a message it is a directory. What am I doing wrong here? + find /mydir -mtime +2 -exec rm -f '{}' ';' rm: /mydir is a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)