Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rexec not working properly
Operating Systems Linux rexec not working properly Post 302721231 by bakunin on Thursday 25th of October 2012 09:13:44 AM
Old 10-25-2012
I can't say for Fedora but on AIX you also need the portmapper service enabled. Might that be the case here too?

Further, according to this there might be proper name resolution necessary. Is that the case?

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Keyboard not working properly...

Hello Again, Those that have noticed my earlier posts will know that I have succesfully installed Solaris 8 onto my pc. I haven't been able to get x-server working (i think it doesn't like my video card) though I've been able to log into root (with a bit of help from unix forums :o ) and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timresh
2 Replies

2. Programming

y is this not working properly?

#include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <unistd.h> struct stat s; main() { char c; if (fork()==0) { system("clear"); do { printf("myAI\\>§ "); scanf("%s",c); if(stat(c,&s)>-1) {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|[anti-trust]
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet is not working properly

telnet at my system is behaving stange. Some times I am able to telnet to other machines but sometimes it stop doing that. Then i have to reboot the machine and most of the time (not 100%) it works. SImilar is the case with SSH. Sometime it works , some time it don't. i am new to Unix and I do not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepak_pathania
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Cron - Not working properly

Hi, I do have three scripts. Whcih inserts records into a table using sqlldr, creating some reprot files etc. The first script will call the second and then the second will call the third. When I run my first script from the shell prompt, all my operation are completed successfully. If I do... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
23 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n not working properly

Hi all, I'm trying to generate a series of txt files starting from a plain csv file part of my code: #!/bin/ksh INSTALLDIR=/Users/ME/Installdir CSV=CSV.csv TMP=/tmp/$(basename $0).txt tr -s "\r" "\n" < /$INSTALLDIR/$CSV > $TMP function Makefiles { printf '%24s:%30s\n' "sometext"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jive Spector
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail is not working properly

Hi All, Can any one help me to solve the issue. The Issue is, i have started the sendmail service on my RHEL 4 update 6 box, I am able to send the mail from my box to almost all of the Email Id's except few. Exampe, test mail. . Output is :the message is sent. now if I send the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhtar.bhat
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

sudo is not working properly

This is the first time for using sudo for me. # visudo ## Allows people in group admin to run all commands %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL # groupadd admin # useradd temp # usermod -a -G admin temp # id temp uid=506(temp) gid=506(temp) groups=506(temp),507(admin) # #sudo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

~c is not working properly with -r option

Hi There, --------- file1 ------- ~c asd@ac.com -------------- Now i am using below command cat file1|mailx -s " testing" -r " My Name" abc@tech.com (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapan Sharma
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why is sort not working properly here ?

Platform: RHEL 5.4 In the below text file I have strings like following. $ cat /tmp/mytextfile.txt DISK1 DISK10 DISK101 DISK102 DISK103 DISK104 DISK105 DISK106 DISK107 DISK108 DISK109 DISK110 DISK111 DISK112 DISK113 DISK114 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join not working properly

I want to join two files , with file 1 col 3 and file 2 col 1 as key. The join command is erratic for some reason. File 2 is a master file having all the names, and file 1 has some values. I want to add the names from fil2 in file 1. If I use the original master file, some output is missing. ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
16 Replies
REXEC(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  REXEC(3)

NAME
rexec -- return stream to a remote command LIBRARY
Compatibility Library (libcompat, -lcompat) SYNOPSIS
int rexec(char **ahost, int inport, char *user, char *passwd, char *cmd, int *fd2p); DESCRIPTION
This interface is obsoleted by rcmd(3). The rexec() function looks up the host *ahost using gethostbyname(3), returning -1 if the host does not exist. Otherwise *ahost is set to the standard name of the host. If a username and password are both specified, then these are used to authenticate to the foreign host; oth- erwise the environment and then the user's .netrc file in his home directory are searched for appropriate information. If all this fails, the user is prompted for the information. The port inport specifies which well-known DARPA Internet port to use for the connection; the call getservbyname("exec", "tcp") (see getservent(3)) will return a pointer to a structure, which contains the necessary port. The protocol for connection is described in detail in rexecd(8). If the connection succeeds, a socket in the Internet domain of type SOCK_STREAM is returned to the caller, and given to the remote command as stdin and stdout. If fd2p is non-zero, then an auxiliary channel to a control process will be setup, and a descriptor for it will be placed in *fd2p. The control process will return diagnostic output from the command (unit 2) on this channel, and will also accept bytes on this channel as being UNIX signal numbers, to be forwarded to the process group of the command. The diagnostic information returned does not include remote authorization failure, as the secondary connection is set up after authorization has been verified. If fd2p is 0, then the stderr (unit 2 of the remote command) will be made the same as the stdout and no provision is made for sending arbitrary signals to the remote process, although you may be able to get its attention by using out-of-band data. SEE ALSO
rcmd(3), rexecd(8) HISTORY
The rexec() function appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The rexec() function sends the unencrypted password across the network. The underlying service is considered a big security hole and therefore not enabled on many sites, see rexecd(8) for explanations. BSD
June 4, 1993 BSD