Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: How to check if there is something being piped in Post 302721207 by zaxxon on Thursday 25th of October 2012 08:56:14 AM
Old 10-25-2012
Hey,

my problem is to catch the issue, that there is nothing being piped in. Example:
Code:
$ cat mach.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl

while( defined($line = <STDIN>) ) {
        chomp($line);
        print $line . "\n";
}

exit(0);

Yes, feeding it works:
Code:
$ echo yo | ./mach.pl
yo

This hangs and waits for input, like a grep in a shell waiting for input. Can only break it with Ctrl+c:
Code:
$ ./mach.pl

I am looking for a way to notice, that there is nothing to be read from STDIN so I can end the script with some error message.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check URL using PERL

I am trying to create a perl script that will make sure a web page can be accessed going through an Apache httpd. The actual content of the web page does not matter. Most likely the web page will just have "You have successfully reached this port." This script will eventually be running... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehoboth
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if perl is installed?

Hi, i'm designing a unix script and i want to know if there is a shell command or a way to see if perl is installed in the system. thanks in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfad
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl... how to tell if a piped command is still running?

I'm using the fabulous perl. I need a way to tell when a piped call to "open" has completed. Can I do this with a command like <ShellPipe> ?? Reason behind this: I'm trying to write a backup script in perl! This script will download a certain file from my web server, to my computer. Now,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: boytheo
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

number check in perl

Hi,, this is returning true in all cases..( other than 10 dig number also) what could be wrong?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellwell
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please check perl script

#!/usr/local/bin/perl #$path = perl; #use File::stat; use Time::localtime; sub ExampleFiles{ $today = time; $today -= $today % 86400; $return_value = 0; $mtime = (stat("$_")) || die "cannot stat file $!"; $size = (stat("$_")); # size in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ellechim
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl- check the port used

hi everybody; my code is cheking if a port is an actif or not with the cmd netstat -ln,I want first to enter the number of the port which I want to check it but I think that the value of $con in the second "if" is always "0" so the code give me always that the port is not used!!! ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bassma
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble executing piped shell commands in perl code

I am trying to execute a piped combination of shell commands inside a perl program. However, it is not working as desired. This is my program, i am trying to print only filenames from the output of ls -l $ cat list_test #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; my $count=0; my @list=`ls -l|awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to check date and check files in particular dir

Hi Experts, I am checking how to get day in Perl. If it is “Monday” I need to process…below is the pseudo code. Can you please prove the code for below condition. if (today=="Monday" ) { while (current_time LESS THAN 9:01 AM) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't Output Piped Perl In-line command to a File

Hello, I'm pretty stumped, and I don't know why I am not able to redirect the output to the 'graphme' file with the command below in Fedora 18. tcpdump -l -n -t "tcp == 18" | perl -ane '($s,$j)=split(/,/,$F,2); print "$s\n";' > graphme In case you're wondering, I was following the example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ConcealedKnight
2 Replies

10. Programming

Perl: restrict perl from automaticaly creating a hash branches on check

My issue is that the perl script (as I have done it so far) created empty branches when I try to check some branches on existence. I am using multydimentional hashes: found it as the best way for information that I need to handle. Saing multidimentional I means hash of hashes ... So, I have ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies
ELFEDIT(1)						       GNU Development Tools							ELFEDIT(1)

NAME
elfedit - Update the ELF header of ELF files. SYNOPSIS
elfedit [--input-mach=machine] [--input-type=type] [--input-osabi=osbi] --output-mach=machine --output-type=type --output-osabi=osbi [-v|--version] [-h|--help] elffile... DESCRIPTION
elfedit updates the ELF header of ELF files which have the matching ELF machine and file types. The options control how and which fields in the ELF header should be updated. elffile... are the ELF files to be updated. 32-bit and 64-bit ELF files are supported, as are archives containing ELF files. OPTIONS
The long and short forms of options, shown here as alternatives, are equivalent. At least one of the --output-mach, --output-type and --output-osabi options must be given. --input-mach=machine Set the matching input ELF machine type to machine. If --input-mach isn't specified, it will match any ELF machine types. The supported ELF machine types are, L1OM and x86-64. --output-mach=machine Change the ELF machine type in the ELF header to machine. The supported ELF machine types are the same as --input-mach. --input-type=type Set the matching input ELF file type to type. If --input-type isn't specified, it will match any ELF file types. The supported ELF file types are, rel, exec and dyn. --output-type=type Change the ELF file type in the ELF header to type. The supported ELF types are the same as --input-type. --input-osabi=osabi Set the matching input ELF file OSABI to osbi. If --input-osabi isn't specified, it will match any ELF OSABIs. The supported ELF OSABIs are, none, HPUX, NetBSD, Linux, Hurd, Solaris, AIX, Irix, FreeBSD, TRU64, Modesto, OpenBSD, OpenVMS, NSK, AROS and FenixOS. --output-osabi=osabi Change the ELF OSABI in the ELF header to type. The supported ELF OSABI are the same as --input-osabi. -v --version Display the version number of elfedit. -h --help Display the command line options understood by elfedit. @file Read command-line options from file. The options read are inserted in place of the original @file option. If file does not exist, or cannot be read, then the option will be treated literally, and not removed. Options in file are separated by whitespace. A whitespace character may be included in an option by surrounding the entire option in either single or double quotes. Any character (including a backslash) may be included by prefixing the character to be included with a backslash. The file may itself contain additional @file options; any such options will be processed recursively. SEE ALSO
readelf(1), and the Info entries for binutils. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, with no Front-Cover Texts, and with no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License". binutils-2.21.1 2011-09-24 ELFEDIT(1)