Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: How to check if there is something being piped in Post 302721207 by zaxxon on Thursday 25th of October 2012 08:56:14 AM
Old 10-25-2012
Hey,

my problem is to catch the issue, that there is nothing being piped in. Example:
Code:
$ cat mach.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl

while( defined($line = <STDIN>) ) {
        chomp($line);
        print $line . "\n";
}

exit(0);

Yes, feeding it works:
Code:
$ echo yo | ./mach.pl
yo

This hangs and waits for input, like a grep in a shell waiting for input. Can only break it with Ctrl+c:
Code:
$ ./mach.pl

I am looking for a way to notice, that there is nothing to be read from STDIN so I can end the script with some error message.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check URL using PERL

I am trying to create a perl script that will make sure a web page can be accessed going through an Apache httpd. The actual content of the web page does not matter. Most likely the web page will just have "You have successfully reached this port." This script will eventually be running... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehoboth
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if perl is installed?

Hi, i'm designing a unix script and i want to know if there is a shell command or a way to see if perl is installed in the system. thanks in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfad
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl... how to tell if a piped command is still running?

I'm using the fabulous perl. I need a way to tell when a piped call to "open" has completed. Can I do this with a command like <ShellPipe> ?? Reason behind this: I'm trying to write a backup script in perl! This script will download a certain file from my web server, to my computer. Now,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: boytheo
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

number check in perl

Hi,, this is returning true in all cases..( other than 10 dig number also) what could be wrong?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellwell
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please check perl script

#!/usr/local/bin/perl #$path = perl; #use File::stat; use Time::localtime; sub ExampleFiles{ $today = time; $today -= $today % 86400; $return_value = 0; $mtime = (stat("$_")) || die "cannot stat file $!"; $size = (stat("$_")); # size in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ellechim
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl- check the port used

hi everybody; my code is cheking if a port is an actif or not with the cmd netstat -ln,I want first to enter the number of the port which I want to check it but I think that the value of $con in the second "if" is always "0" so the code give me always that the port is not used!!! ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bassma
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble executing piped shell commands in perl code

I am trying to execute a piped combination of shell commands inside a perl program. However, it is not working as desired. This is my program, i am trying to print only filenames from the output of ls -l $ cat list_test #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; my $count=0; my @list=`ls -l|awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to check date and check files in particular dir

Hi Experts, I am checking how to get day in Perl. If it is “Monday” I need to process…below is the pseudo code. Can you please prove the code for below condition. if (today=="Monday" ) { while (current_time LESS THAN 9:01 AM) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't Output Piped Perl In-line command to a File

Hello, I'm pretty stumped, and I don't know why I am not able to redirect the output to the 'graphme' file with the command below in Fedora 18. tcpdump -l -n -t "tcp == 18" | perl -ane '($s,$j)=split(/,/,$F,2); print "$s\n";' > graphme In case you're wondering, I was following the example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ConcealedKnight
2 Replies

10. Programming

Perl: restrict perl from automaticaly creating a hash branches on check

My issue is that the perl script (as I have done it so far) created empty branches when I try to check some branches on existence. I am using multydimentional hashes: found it as the best way for information that I need to handle. Saing multidimentional I means hash of hashes ... So, I have ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies
catch(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  catch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
catch - Evaluate script and trap exceptional returns SYNOPSIS
catch script ?resultVarName? ?optionsVarName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The catch command may be used to prevent errors from aborting command interpretation. The catch command calls the Tcl interpreter recur- sively to execute script, and always returns without raising an error, regardless of any errors that might occur while executing script. If script raises an error, catch will return a non-zero integer value corresponding to the exceptional return code returned by evaluation of script. Tcl defines the normal return code from script evaluation to be zero (0), or TCL_OK. Tcl also defines four exceptional return codes: 1 (TCL_ERROR), 2 (TCL_RETURN), 3 (TCL_BREAK), and 4 (TCL_CONTINUE). Errors during evaluation of a script are indicated by a return code of TCL_ERROR. The other exceptional return codes are returned by the return, break, and continue commands and in other special situa- tions as documented. Tcl packages can define new commands that return other integer values as return codes as well, and scripts that make use of the return -code command can also have return codes other than the five defined by Tcl. If the resultVarName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to the result of the script evaluation. When the return code from the script is 1 (TCL_ERROR), the value stored in resultVarName is an error message. When the return code from the script is 0 (TCL_OK), the value stored in resultVarName is the value returned from script. If the optionsVarName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to a dictionary of return options returned by evaluation of | script. Tcl specifies two entries that are always defined in the dictionary: -code and -level. When the return code from evaluation of | script is not TCL_RETURN, the value of the -level entry will be 0, and the value of the -code entry will be the same as the return code. | Only when the return code is TCL_RETURN will the values of the -level and -code entries be something else, as further described in the doc- | umentation for the return command. | When the return code from evaluation of script is TCL_ERROR, three additional entries are defined in the dictionary of return options | stored in optionsVarName: -errorinfo, -errorcode, and -errorline. The value of the -errorinfo entry is a formatted stack trace containing | more information about the context in which the error happened. The formatted stack trace is meant to be read by a person. The value of | the -errorcode entry is additional information about the error stored as a list. The -errorcode value is meant to be further processed by | programs, and may not be particularly readable by people. The value of the -errorline entry is an integer indicating which line of script | was being evaluated when the error occurred. The values of the -errorinfo and -errorcode entries of the most recent error are also avail- | able as values of the global variables ::errorInfo and ::errorCode respectively. | Tcl packages may provide commands that set other entries in the dictionary of return options, and the return command may be used by scripts | to set return options in addition to those defined above. EXAMPLES
The catch command may be used in an if to branch based on the success of a script. if { [catch {open $someFile w} fid] } { puts stderr "Could not open $someFile for writing $fid" exit 1 } There are more complex examples of catch usage in the documentation for the return command. SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), dict(n), error(n), return(n), tclvars(n) KEYWORDS
catch, error Tcl 8.5 catch(n)