Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [solved]removing characters from a mass of file names Post 302721183 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 25th of October 2012 08:21:46 AM
Old 10-25-2012
Thanks for posting your solution.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in all file names in a particular directory

Hi, I have searched the forum on how to mass replace the file names. We are doing the migration and I am trying to accomplish a task where I have to replace all UNIX scripts in a particular directory that start with bdw to fdm... For example: bdw0110137.sh should be fdm0110137.sh Keep the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird Ascii characters in file names

Hi. I have files in my OS that has weird file names with not-conventional ascii characters. I would like to run them but I can't refer them. I know the ascii # of the problematic characters. I can't change their name since it belongs to a 3rd party program... but I want to run it. is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing first 7 characters of directory names

Hi, I'm relatively new to unix, and would like to change the following files in a particular directory. The files have names like: M10_90_Phcn402_3F.ab1 M10_94_Sput402_3F.ab1 M11_92_Abrg402_3R.ab1 M10_91_Cdel402_3F.ab1 M11_90_Phcn402_3R.ab1 M12_84_Sput402_3R.ab1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: euspilapteryx
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing files with same text but different file names

Hi All, I have some 50,000 HTML files in a directory. The problem is; some HTML files are duplicate versions that is wget crawled them two times and gave them file names by appending 1, 2, 3 etc after each crawl. For example, if the file index.html has been crawled several times, it has been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Changing file names

I have written a csh script that changes the name of file from src to dst. I am getting the error below: TESTAmvfiles DONE TESTAmvfiles set: Variable name must begin with a letter. The csh script is: #!/bin/csh #... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing path name from list of file names

I have this piece of code printf '%s\n' $pth*.msf | tr ' ' '\n' | sort -t '-' -k7 -k6r \ | awk -F- '{c=($6$7!=p&&FNR!=1)?ORS:"";p=$6$7}{printf("%c%s\n",c,$0)}' When I run it I get /home/chrisd/tatsh/branches/terr0.50/darwin/n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.002-8x6drw-csq.msf... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing unknow chars from file names.

I'm trying to move a large folder to an external drive but some files have these weird chars that the external drive won't accept. Does anyone know any command of any bash script that will look through a given folder and remove any weird chars? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joktaa
4 Replies

8. Tips and Tutorials

How to manage file names with special characters

One of the common questions asked are: how do i remove/move/rename files with special (non-printable) characters in their name? "Special" doesn't always mean the same. As there are more and less special characters, some solutions are presented, ranging from simple to very complicated. Usually a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Removing control-m characters from shell script

Hi All, I need to remove control m character from a file. Steps which i am doing in shell script are: 1) We are comparing the header of the file to the database table header Here the file header has control-m characters. How do i remove it. Please help. Below are the steps i am using,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove first few characters from multiple file names without do loop?

Hi Fellows, I was wondering how I can remove first few characters from multiple file names without do loop in unix? e.g. water123.xyz water456.xyz to 123.xyz 456.xyz Thanks Paul Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
3 Replies
scsa1394(7D)							      Devices							      scsa1394(7D)

NAME
scsa1394 - SCSI to 1394 bridge driver SYNOPSIS
unit@GUID DESCRIPTION
The scsa1394 driver is a 1394 target and an SCSA HBA driver that supports 1394 mass storage devices compliant with the Serial Bus Protocol 2 (SBP-2) specification. It supports both bus-powered and self-powered 1394 mass storage devices. The scsa1394 nexus driver maps SCSA target driver requests to SBP-2 Operation Request Blocks (ORB's). The scsa1394 driver creates a child device info node for each logical unit (LUN) on the mass storage device. The standard Solaris SCSI disk driver is attached to those nodes. Refer to sd(7D). This driver supports multiple LUN devices and creates a separate child device info node for each LUN. All child LUN nodes attach to sd(7D). All 1394 mass storage devices are treated as removable media devices. A 1394 mass storage device can be managed by rmformat(1). With or without Volume Manager, you can mount, eject, hot remove and hot insert a 1394 mass storage device, as the following sections explain. Using Volume Management Mass storage devices are managed by Volume Manager. vold(1M) creates a device nickname which can be listed with eject(1). The device is mounted using volrmmount(1) under /rmdisk/label. See volrmmount(1) to unmount the device and eject(1) to eject the media. If the device is ejected while it is mounted, vold(1M) unmounts the device before ejecting it. It also kills any active applications that are accessing the device. Hot removing a mass storage device with vold(1M) active fails with a console warning. To hot remove or insert a 1394 storage device, first stop vold(1M) by issuing the command /etc/init.d/volmgt stop. After the device has been removed or inserted, restart vold(1M) by issuing the command /etc/init.d/volmgt start. You can also permanently disable vold for removable devices by commenting out the rmscsi line in vold.conf. See the System Administration Guide, Volume I and Solaris Common Desktop Environment: User's Guide for details on how to manage a removable device with CDE and Removable Media Manager. See dtfile.1X under CDE for information on how to use Removable Media Manager. USING
mount(1M) AND umount(1M) Use mount(1M) to mount the device and umount(1M) to unmount the device. Use eject(1) to eject the media. Because vold(1M) is disabled, no vold nicknames can be used. Removing the storage device while it is being accessed or mounted fails with a console warning. To hot remove the storage device from the system, unmount the file system, then kill all applications accessing the device. Next, hot remove the device. A storage device can be hot inserted at any time. For a comprehensive listing of (non-bootable) 1394 mass-storage devices that are compatible with this driver, see www.sun.com/io. DEVICE SPECIAL FILES
Block special file names are located in /dev/dsk. Raw file names are located in /dev/rdsk. Input/output requests to the devices must follow the same restrictions as those for SCSI disks. Refer to sd(7D). IOCTLS
Refer to cdio(7I) and dkio(7I). ERRORS
Refer to sd(7D). FILES
The device special files for the 1394 mass storage device are created like those for a SCSI disk. Refer to sd(7D). /dev/dsk/cntndnsn Block files /dev/rdsk/cntndnsn Raw files /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0 Symbolic link to the character device for the media in removable drive 0. This is a generic removable media device. /kernel/drv/scsa1394 32-bit x86 ELF kernel module /kernel/drv/amd64/scsa1394 64-bit x86 ELF kernel module /kernel/drv/sparcv9/scsa1394 64-bit SPARC ELF kernel module ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------+-------------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE +-----------------------+-------------------------------+ |Architecture | SPARC, x86, PCI-based systems | +-----------------------+-------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWscsa1394 | +-----------------------+-------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cdrw(1), eject(1), rmformat(1), volrmmount(1), cfgadm_scsi(1M), fdisk(1M), mount(1M), umount(1M), vold(1M), dtfile.1X, scsi(4), attributes(5), hci1394(7D), sd(7D), pcfs(7FS), cdio(7I), dkio(7I) IEEE Std 1394-1995 Standard for a High Performance Serial Bus ANSI NCITS 325-1998 - Serial Bus Protocol 2 (SBP-2) System Administration Guide: Devices and File Systems Solaris Common Desktop Environment: User's Guide http://www.sun.com/io SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 scsa1394(7D)