Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escaping problem in a shell script Post 302720877 by franko007 on Thursday 25th of October 2012 09:17:31 AM
Old 10-25-2012
thank you i will try this tomorrow when i have access to my workstation again.
but to make this clear, i need the single quotes in the gnuplot command because the flag -e expects a list of "commands" seperated by ";" within quotes (' ')
but i think the double quotes could work too.
btw: the example in the first quote block i posted above works fine

---------- Post updated 10-25-12 at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous update was 10-24-12 at 05:11 PM ----------

hi again, i just tested your suggestion and it works great, thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

escaping * in korn Shell under Sun Solaris

When trying to escape special character * - it doesn't seem to work. In korn shell trying to store a local variable as follows sample=test* echo $sample - gets all the file names starting with test* , instead i want to literally store the value test* into a variable. I tried escaping with \, with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prekida
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping * in korn shell

When trying to escape special character * - it doesn't seem to work. In korn shell trying to store a local variable as follows sample=test* echo $sample - gets all the file names starting with test* , instead i want to literally store the value test* into a variable. I tried escaping with \, with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prekida
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script help: escaping the '*'

hi there. i have a simple bash script that reads a word from a text file one at a time, and if a '*' character is encountered, it prints a message. however it doesn't work as i expected. :o what am i doing wrong here? thanks very much for the help :) for word in `cat $DOC` do if... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_nsx
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping apostrophe using shell script

Hi, I am using the KSH shell. I am facing a problem of escaping apostrophe('), that is occuring in a variable. I used the following command, but in vain item=`echo $item|sed 's/'/\'/g'` this code replaces the occurance of ' in an xml file to apostrophe(') symbol. The output of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mradul_kaushik
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem escaping newline in ksh

Hi, I did the below. $ print "\\n" $ I am curious, why does \\n give two new lines? I would have thought that the first \ would escape the second \, and so we'd get \n printed. But we didn't. Any ideas? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping double-quotes inside the script?

I'm having a strange problem with escaping double-quotes. I have a script that looks like this: #!/bin/bash for HOST in `cat $INFILE | grep -v ^#` do for VFILER in `some_command` do echo " " echo -e '\E The problem with ssh command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

call shell script from perl cgi script problem

hi,, i have perl scipt with line : system('./try.sh $t $d $m'); in shell scipt try.sh i have the line: echo $1 its not printing value of $t that i hav passed..y is it so..i am running it from apache web server (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line with match and previous line quoting/escaping problem

Hi folks, I've list of LDAP records in this format: cat cmmac.export.tmp2 dn: deviceId=0a92746a54tbmd34b05758900131136a506,ou=devices,ou=customer,ou=nl,o=upc cmmac: 00:13:11:36:a5:06 dn: deviceId=0a92746a62pbms4662299650015961cfa23,ou=devices,ou=customer,ou=nl,o=upc cmmac:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomas.polak
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping metacharacters in paths for a shell command

I have a file which contains a list of paths separated by a new line character. e.g /some/path/to/a/file.png /some/path to/another/file.jpeg /some path/to yet/another/file Notice that these paths may contain metacharacters, the spaces for example are also not escaped. If I wanted... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script newbie, what is problem with my script?

Hello, Ubuntu server 11.10 can anybody help what is problem with my shell script? #!/bin/bash #script to find out currently logged on user is root or not. if ] then echo "You are super" else echo "You are awesome!" fi When I run script, I get following output ./uid: line 3: I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)