Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need to make change in a file Post 302720011 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 23rd of October 2012 11:35:48 AM
Old 10-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by itkamaraj
Code:
$ echo '00510010            0000000471           000000000482.90 000000005855.49' | awk '{$3=$3+0;$4=$4+0}1' OFS=','

you may loose precision (if it's important for the OP).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the same change in multiple shell scripts?

I would like to make the same change in multiple shell script files and would like to know if anyone can be of some help? I would appreciate it. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdakhan
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make ulimit change permanent

ulimit -a gives the following output:$ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) 2097152 data(kbytes) 131072 stack(kbytes) 16384 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 32768 nofiles(descriptors) 400 vmemory(kbytes) 147456 Abot output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
3 Replies

3. Programming

makeutility: how to get the make-file name inside of the make-file?

How I can get the current make-file name in a make-file So, if I run make with specified file:make -f target.mak is it possible to have the 'target' inside of the that 'target.mak' from the file name? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to change the destination directory of a make install

Hi there, I'm installing the sleuthkit from sources (because the debian package is crap). So I go threw the process of wget + tar + configure + make + make install. At the end, all the executables and libraries are in /usr/local/bin/, /usr/local/lib/, /usr/local/share/... How can I do to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

5. Programming

using dbx: I can't make it watch a variable change?! Help, please!

(I have mentioned about this situation and arisen problems in another thread: Is there a limit for a code line length in C?, but those questions are OffTop for that subject; so I open a new topic, here.) The main problem is that I have some situation in my program where memory has been changed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot make sudoers change work

I logged in as root and visudo'd /etc/sudoers. I found several users with the username ALL=(ALL) ALL entries and added an account after the last one. Saved the file. When the user logs in and does "sudo su -" they are prompted for their password and then told they are not in the sudoers file.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpm_on_lnx
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Will authconfig make permanent change or lost after reboot?

Hi, I made following configuration to create user directory: # authconfig --enablemkhomedir --update But the directory is created as permission 755, I'd like to modify the script to change directory access permission to 700, where is the script which copies /etc/skel to /home... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add character to specific columns using sed or awk and make it a permanent change

Hi, I am writing a shell script where I want that # should be added in all those lines as the first character where the pattern matches. file has lot of functions defined a.sh #!/bin/bash fn a { beautiful evening sunny day } fn b { } fn c { hello world .its a beautiful day ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make change to variable value inside of awk script

Hello, I have text data that looks like this, Mrv16a3102061815532D 6 6 0 0 0 0 999 V2000 -0.4018 1.9634 0.0000 C 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -1.1163 1.5509 0.0000 C 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -1.1163 0.7259 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)