Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: Pattern to remove words with less than 2 characters. Post 302719583 by D2K on Monday 22nd of October 2012 04:23:42 PM
Old 10-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrtx1
Code:
$string =~ s/\b[^ \t]\b//g;

Works perfectly!
Thanks rdrtx1.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: How do I remove leading non alpha characters

Hi, Sorry for silly question, but I'm trying to write a perl script to operate a log file that is in following format: (4)ab=1234/(10)bc=abcdef9876/cd=0.... The number in the brackets is the lenghts of the field, "/" is the field separator. Brackets are not leading every field. What I'm... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I am trying to find pattern between two words but unable to get that pattern..

HI.... It's fallow up file .. #./show.sh click enter button.. i am gettng the fallowup file. its keep on running every time why because there are lots of users working on it. In that file i want to search pattern between two words for ex: SELECT DISTINCT... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksr.test
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from text using PERL

Hi, I am stuck with a problem here. Suppose i have a variable which is assigned some string containing special charatcers. for eg: $a="abcdef^bbwk#kdbcd@"; I have to remove the special characters using Perl. The text is assigned to the variable implicitly. How to do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agarwal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to remove few characters from each line till a pattern is matched

Hi All, I want to remove first few characthers from starting of the line till ',' Comma... which needs to be done for all the lines in the file Eg: File content 1,"1234",emp1,1234 2,"2345",emp2,2345 Expected output is ,"1234",emp1,1234 ,"2345",emp2,2345 How can parse... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranlalka
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove junk characters using Perl

Guys, can you help me in removing the junk character "^S" from the below line using perl Reference Data Not Recognised ^S Where a value is provided by the consuming system, which is not reco Thanks, M.Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vim help - delete words in a file or characters after pattern

I have a file with words that begin with character #. Whenver that character is found that word should be deleted throughout the file. How do I do that in VIM. e.g: afkajfa ladfa ljafa #222222 kjafad ljl afajkj kjlj uouu #44444 jlkj lkjl Output should be afkajfa ladfa ljafa kjafad... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osbourneric
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to remove words between patterns

Hi, I am using following code to remove words between start and end points. $mystring = "The start text always precedes the end of the end text."; if($mystring =~ s/start(.*)end/\0/) { print $1; print "\n"; print $mystring; } But this is writing special chars in place of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove last 4 characters with non-unique pattern.

Hi, I'm writing a ksh script and trying to use an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove the last 4 characters of a line in a file if it begins with a period. Here is the contents of the file... the column in which I want to remove the last 4 characters is the last column. ($6 in awk). I've... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regular expression to remove the special characters

I had a string in perl script as below. Tue Augáá7 03:54:12 2012 Now I need to replace the special character with space. After removing the special chaacters Tue Aug 7 03:54:12 2012 Could anyone please help me here for writing the regular expression? Thanks in advance.. Regards, GS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match Pattern after certain pattern and Print words next to Pattern

Hi experts , im new to Unix,AWK ,and im just not able to get this right. I need to match for some patterns if it matches I need to print the next few words to it.. I have only three such conditions to match… But I need to print only those words that comes after satisfying the first condition..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies
STR_WORD_COUNT(3)							 1							 STR_WORD_COUNT(3)

str_word_count - Return information about words used in a string

SYNOPSIS
mixed str_word_count (string $string, [int $format], [string $charlist]) DESCRIPTION
Counts the number of words inside $string. If the optional $format is not specified, then the return value will be an integer representing the number of words found. In the event the $format is specified, the return value will be an array, content of which is dependent on the $format. The possible value for the $format and the resultant outputs are listed below. For the purpose of this function, 'word' is defined as a locale dependent string containing alphabetic characters, which also may contain, but not start with "'" and "-" characters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The string o $format - Specify the return value of this function. The current supported values are: o 0 - returns the number of words found o 1 - returns an array containing all the words found inside the $string o 2 - returns an associative array, where the key is the numeric position of the word inside the $string and the value is the actual word itself o $charlist - A list of additional characters which will be considered as 'word' RETURN VALUES
Returns an array or an integer, depending on the $format chosen. CHANGELOG
+--------+--------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+--------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Added the $charlist parameter | | | | +--------+--------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A str_word_count(3) example <?php $str = "Hello fri3nd, you're looking good today!"; print_r(str_word_count($str, 1)); print_r(str_word_count($str, 2)); print_r(str_word_count($str, 1, 'aaac3')); echo str_word_count($str); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => Hello [1] => fri [2] => nd [3] => you're [4] => looking [5] => good [6] => today ) Array ( [0] => Hello [6] => fri [10] => nd [14] => you're [29] => looking [46] => good [51] => today ) Array ( [0] => Hello [1] => fri3nd [2] => you're [3] => looking [4] => good [5] => today ) 7 SEE ALSO
explode(3), preg_split(3), split(3), count_chars(3), substr_count(3). PHP Documentation Group STR_WORD_COUNT(3)