Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Diff on 1gb files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Diff on 1gb files Post 302719507 by abhisheksunkari on Monday 22nd of October 2012 02:48:03 PM
Old 10-22-2012
Diff on 1gb files

Hey Guys,
I have a scenario to compare two different files which are of size 1gb each. I need to get the uncommon lines. I planned to use sdiff command, which generally works perfect for me. But in this case am facing a error saying

"diff: memory exhausted"
Can anyone please explain this.

Also, can anyone suggest a unix command to compare huge files, to get the common and the uncommon lines between the two files.

Thanks,
Abhishek S.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ZIP file with 1GB or more

Hi, I have to do a search on a zip files whose sizes vary from 1GB to 1.5GB. I dont want to unzip it since if it goes beyond 2GB....... also will unzip -p filename | grep create any problems, will it unzip the whole file or will it unzip it piece by piece?? I appreciate your inputs... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baanprog
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicates from multuple files with 2 diff types of files

I need to compare 2 diff type of files and find out the duplicate after comparing each types of files: Type 1 file name is like: file1.abc (the extension abc could any 3 characters but I can narrow it down or hardcode for 10/15 combinations). The other file is file1.bcd01abc (the extension... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky007
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff b/w 2 files

Hi Masters, I have two files named file1 and file2. Both the files contains the same contents with some difference in comments,space.But no content change. I tried to find the diff between the two files to make sure that contents are same. For that i tried diff -ibw file1 file2 But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ecearund
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

1Gb+ memory problem

Hi, I have a Linux distribution ( Oralce Enterprise Linux 5.3 i.e. Redhat ) that I have installed. It works fine when I used 2*512Mb dimms or replace them with a single 1Gb dimm. However when I try to go above 1 Gb the bootup and general performance deteriorates badly. The BIOS picks up the memory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff of files

Hi, I have 2 files.I want to check if file1 is contained in file2. A.txt: ----- AAA BBB B.txt: ------ CCC AAA BBB DDD I want to check if A.txt is contained in B.txt. Can it be done using SED ? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff bw two files

Hi All, I have two files which look as below File1 serial="1" name="abc" type="employee" field="IT" serial="2" name="cde" type="intern" field="Marketing" serial="3" name="pqr" type="contractor" field="IT" serial="4" name="xyz" type="employee" field="Sales" File2 serial="1"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

.procmailrc and uudeview (put attachments from diff senders to diff folders)

Moderator, please, delete this topic (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optik77
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I find files which are older than 30 days and greater than 1GB

Hi All, I know the separate commands for finding files greater than 30 days and finding files greater than 1GB. How do I combine these two commands? Meaning how do I find files which are > 1GB and older than 30 days? ;) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff 3 files, but diff only their 2nd column

Guys i have 3 files, but i want to compare and diff only the 2nd column path=`/home/whois/doms` for i in `cat domain.tx` do whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Registrant ID:/,/Registrant Email:/p' > $path/$i.registrant whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Admin ID:/,/Admin Email:/p' > $path/$i.admin... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies
SDIFF(1)							   User Commands							  SDIFF(1)

NAME
sdiff - side-by-side merge of file differences SYNOPSIS
sdiff [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2 DESCRIPTION
Side-by-side merge of file differences. -o FILE --output=FILE Operate interactively, sending output to FILE. -i --ignore-case Consider upper- and lower-case to be the same. -E --ignore-tab-expansion Ignore changes due to tab expansion. -b --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in the amount of white space. -W --ignore-all-space Ignore all white space. -B --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes whose lines are all blank. -I RE --ignore-matching-lines=RE Ignore changes whose lines all match RE. --strip-trailing-cr Strip trailing carriage return on input. -a --text Treat all files as text. -w NUM --width=NUM Output at most NUM (default 130) columns per line. -l --left-column Output only the left column of common lines. -s --suppress-common-lines Do not output common lines. -t --expand-tabs Expand tabs to spaces in output. -d --minimal Try hard to find a smaller set of changes. -H --speed-large-files Assume large files and many scattered small changes. --diff-program=PROGRAM Use PROGRAM to compare files. -v --version Output version info. --help Output this help. If a FILE is `-', read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by Thomas Lord. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may redistribute copies of this program under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for sdiff is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and sdiff programs are properly installed at your site, the command info diff should give you access to the complete manual. diffutils 2.8.1 April 2002 SDIFF(1)