Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to generate random number as as the first column of a txt file Post 302719461 by forevertl on Monday 22nd of October 2012 01:34:34 PM
Old 10-22-2012
how to generate random number as as the first column of a txt file

Dear all,

I have a question. I have a txt file say 4000 rows X 1800 Column. I 'd like to creat a new column as the first column which is a column of random numbers (n=4000)

thanks a lot!

Lin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to generate a random number?

How to generate a random integer with specific range(for example, from 1 to 1000)? Also, how to convert a floating point number into a integer? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MacMonster
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate random number in korn shell

I want to be able to generate a random number within a korn shell script.. Preferably i would like to be able to state how many digits should be in this random number... ie 4 digits or 5 digits etc Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate random number in perl

Could any one tell how can I generate random number from (0, 100..200) in perl? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zx1106
2 Replies

4. Programming

Generate random number

I saw this formula to generate random number between two specified values in shell script.the following. $(((RANDOM%(max-min+divisibleBy))/divisibleBy*divisibleBy+min)) Give a example in book. Generate random number between 6 and 30.like this. $(((RANDOM%30/3+1)*3)) But I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luoluo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix random number generate in given range

Hi All, I have extracted some report from database for few activities done. Now I have a requirement to add some random time(In range of 10-35) in front of each activity. Can be generated random numbers in any bash/sh shell within a given number range, let's say in between 10-30. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 2nd column for each line in a csv file with fixed string+random number

Hi experts, My csv file looks like this U;cake;michael;temp;;;; U;bread;john;temp;;;; U;cocktails;sarah;temp;;;; I'd like to change the value fo 2nd column to cf+random number , which will look maybe something like this U;cf20187;michael;temp;;;; U;cf8926;john;temp;;;;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace column by random number addition

Here is my problem:- I have a file with pipe separated values. CR|20121021|079|ABC|N|DLS|00038|DLS|04750|1330597704|634234|634|0 CR|20121021|079|ABC|N|DLS|00038|DLS|05118|2071690102|354|351|3 CR|20121021|079|ABC|N|DLS|00038|DLS|05140|960051505|1088|1088|0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoda
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with generate a pair of random number

Hi, Is anybody experience generate a pair of random number by using awk command? I wanna to generate a pair of random number (range from 1 to 4124) and repeats it 416 times. Desired output 2 326 123 1256 341 14 3245 645 . . . I did write the below command: awk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Generate a random number in a fully POSIX compliant shell, 'dash'...

Hi all... Apologies for any typos, etc... This took a while but it didn't beat me... Although there are many methods of generating random numbers in a POSIX shell this uses integer maths and a simple C source to create an executable to get epoch to microseconds accuracy if it is needed. I take... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
8 Replies
PG_FETCH_ALL_COLUMNS(3) 												   PG_FETCH_ALL_COLUMNS(3)

pg_fetch_all_columns - Fetches all rows in a particular result column as an array

SYNOPSIS
array pg_fetch_all_columns (resource $result, [int $column]) DESCRIPTION
pg_fetch_all_columns(3) returns an array that contains all rows (records) in a particular column of the result resource. Note This function sets NULL fields to the PHP NULL value. PARAMETERS
o $result - PostgreSQL query result resource, returned by pg_query(3), pg_query_params(3) or pg_execute(3) (among others). o $column - Column number, zero-based, to be retrieved from the result resource. Defaults to the first column if not specified. RETURN VALUES
An array with all values in the result column. FALSE is returned if $column is larger than the number of columns in the result, or on any other error. EXAMPLES
Example #1 pg_fetch_all_columns(3) example <?php $conn = pg_pconnect("dbname=publisher"); if (!$conn) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } $result = pg_query($conn, "SELECT title, name, address FROM authors"); if (!$result) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } // Get an array of all author names $arr = pg_fetch_all_columns($result, 1); var_dump($arr); ?> SEE ALSO
pg_fetch_all(3). PHP Documentation Group PG_FETCH_ALL_COLUMNS(3)