Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Recursively cat files in a directory with filename printed first. Post 302719085 by Scrutinizer on Monday 22nd of October 2012 05:08:39 AM
Old 10-22-2012
Note: In standard form, find in combination with pipe and xargs will not work with filenames with spaces...
A loop will, but then a while read loop should be used instead of a for loop and the file references should have double quotes around them, for example..

Code:
find /etc -type f |
while read file
do
  [..]
  echo "$file"
  cat "$file"
  [..]
done

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 10-22-2012 at 06:43 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively copy only specific files from a directory tree

Hi I am a shell-script newbie and am looking to synchronize certain files in two directory structures. Both these directory-trees are in CVS and so I dont want the CVS directory to be copied over. I want only .sh and .pl files in each subdirectory under these directory trees to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharpsharkrocks
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files recursively in the specified directory

I have to write a shell script which can delete all the files and directories recursively inside the specified directory but should not delete the specified directory. Please some body help me in writing the script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat files from subdirectories output using same filename

Hi, I need to concatenate data files with a .mp extension that are stored in directories by year. I want to keep the same filename as an output for example: for the file name p030.mp, which resides in the following subdirectories: /2000/p030.mp /2001/p030.mp /2002/p030.mp I want to:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmshreve
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with script generating files in directory recursively

I have a script which generates recursively some files in folders for a given root folder. I have checks for permissions and it works for all folders except one(i have 777 permission on it). When i try calling the script in problematic folder(problematic folder being root folder), script works as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb2
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory

Display the number of files in a directory and recursively in each subdirectory To look something like below, for example /var 35 /var/tmp 56 /var/adm 46Any ideas how can we do this? Got a sun cluser global mount point which takes ages to mount everytime, need to understand... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakerock
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files listed in text file and redirect to new directory with same filename

I have a directory that is restricted and I cannot just copy the files need, but I can cat them and redirect them to a new directory. The files all have the date listed in them. If I perform a long listing and grep for the date (150620) I can redirect that output to a text file. Now I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigger467
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all files containing string not following symlinks CAT (modified) output content to /filename

This should recursively walk through all dirictories and search for a specified string in all present files, if found output manicured content (eg some regex) with CAT into a specified directory (eg /tmp/) one by one, keeping the original names This is what I have so far, which seems to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recursively copy directory only for recent files?

I love the -newerct flag for the Cygwin find command on windows. Can I use "/usr/bin/find . -newerct '3 hours ago'" to conditionally copy a directory tree so that only the files in the directory tree that are younger than 3 hours are copied to my destination directory such that the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Large Files Recursively From Specific Directory

Hi. I found many scripts in the web of achieving this. But I like to use this one find /EDWH-DMT03 -xdev -size +10000 -exec ls -la {} \;|sort -n -k 5 > LARGE.rst But the problem is, why it still list out files with 89 bytes as the output? Is there anything wrong with the command? My... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files recursively to one single directory

I need to copy a complete directory structure into a new location. But I want to have all files copied into one directory and leave out the directory structure. So all files must be placed in one directory. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ReneVL
4 Replies
IO::Async::Handle(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    IO::Async::Handle(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::Handle" - event callbacks for a non-blocking file descriptor SYNOPSIS
This class is likely not to be used directly, because subclasses of it exist to handle more specific cases. Here is an example of how it would be used to watch a listening socket for new connections. In real code, it is likely that the "Loop->listen" method would be used instead. use IO::Socket::INET; use IO::Async::Handle; use IO::Async::Loop; my $loop = IO::Async::Loop->new; my $socket = IO::Socket::INET->new( LocalPort => 1234, Listen => 1 ); my $handle = IO::Async::Handle->new( handle => $socket, on_read_ready => sub { my $new_client = $socket->accept; ... }, ); $loop->add( $handle ); For most other uses with sockets, pipes or other filehandles that carry a byte stream, the IO::Async::Stream class is likely to be more suitable. For non-stream sockets, see IO::Async::Socket. DESCRIPTION
This subclass of IO::Async::Notifier allows non-blocking IO on filehandles. It provides event handlers for when the filehandle is read- or write-ready. EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_read_ready Invoked when the read handle becomes ready for reading. on_write_ready Invoked when the write handle becomes ready for writing. on_closed Optional. Invoked when the handle becomes closed. This handler is invoked before the filehandles are closed and the Handle removed from its containing Loop. The "loop" will still return the containing Loop object. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": read_handle => IO write_handle => IO The reading and writing IO handles. Each must implement the "fileno" method. Primarily used for passing "STDIN" / "STDOUT"; see the SYNOPSIS section of "IO::Async::Stream" for an example. handle => IO The IO handle for both reading and writing; instead of passing each separately as above. Must implement "fileno" method in way that "IO::Handle" does. on_read_ready => CODE on_write_ready => CODE on_closed => CODE CODE references for event handlers. want_readready => BOOL want_writeready => BOOL If present, enable or disable read- or write-ready notification as per the "want_readready" and "want_writeready" methods. It is required that a matching "on_read_ready" or "on_write_ready" are available for any handle that is provided; either passed as a callback CODE reference or as an overridden the method. I.e. if only a "read_handle" is given, then "on_write_ready" can be absent. If "handle" is used as a shortcut, then both read and write-ready callbacks or methods are required. If no IO handles are provided at construction time, the object is still created but will not yet be fully-functional as a Handle. IO handles can be assigned later using the "set_handle" or "set_handles" methods, or by "configure". This may be useful when constructing an object to represent a network connection, before the connect(2) has actually been performed yet. METHODS
$handle->set_handles( %params ) Sets new reading or writing filehandles. Equivalent to calling the "configure" method with the same parameters. $handle->set_handle( $fh ) Shortcut for $handle->configure( handle => $fh ) $handle->close This method calls "close" on the underlying IO handles. This method will then remove the handle from its containing loop. $handle->close_read $handle->close_write Closes the underlying read or write handle, and deconfigures it from the object. Neither of these methods will invoke the "on_closed" event, nor remove the object from the Loop if there is still one open handle in the object. Only when both handles are closed, will "on_closed" be fired, and the object removed. $handle = $handle->read_handle $handle = $handle->write_handle These accessors return the underlying IO handles. $fileno = $handle->read_fileno $fileno = $handle->write_fileno These accessors return the file descriptor numbers of the underlying IO handles. $value = $handle->want_readready $oldvalue = $handle->want_readready( $newvalue ) $value = $handle->want_writeready $oldvalue = $handle->want_writeready( $newvalue ) These are the accessor for the "want_readready" and "want_writeready" properties, which define whether the object is interested in knowing about read- or write-readiness on the underlying file handle. SEE ALSO
o IO::Handle - Supply object methods for I/O handles AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::Handle(3pm)