Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using paste command every nth number of file Post 302718749 by ida1215 on Saturday 20th of October 2012 06:04:06 PM
Old 10-20-2012
Thanks much msabhi. I tried the xargs and used split to divide the lines to individual files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

paste command

I wonder if any body can help me with a command i am struggling with. I have a file with around 400 lines in, in a program i have it pulls out each line at a time so that data from the line can be cross referenced with another file. If it finds a match it pulls out a ocde from the second file, this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grepping nth line number

How do you grep every nth line number from a file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabs1985
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read file column and paste it in command

Hi Unix gurus I have a file containing 2 coloumns. I would like to do a script which reads the lines and executes a command like this: command <field1> parameters <field2> some more parameters Please let me know how you would do this without AWK, SED or any other mini language (for special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BearCheese
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paste command

input1 15 150 input2 x 10 100 input3 y 20 200 z 34 44 cmd paste -d "\t" input1 input2 input3 >>output output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: repinementer
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting number of lines of nth occurrency

Hi all, I would like to extract the line number of the n-th occurrency of a given string in a file. e.g. xxx yyy xxx zzz xxx the second occurrency of xxx is at line 3. What is the fastest way to do it in bash? Thank you, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK to find top Nth values in Nth column

I have an awk script to find the maximum value of the 2nd column of a 2 column datafile, but I need to find the top 5 maximum values of the 2nd column. Here is the script that works for the maximum value. awk 'BEGIN { subjectmax=$1 ; max=0} $2 >= max {subjectmax=$1 ; max=$2} END {print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of the PASTE command in a script file

Hi, When I use the paste command in the terminal window it works fine, but when i try to use it in a bash script file i get errors. I'm not sure how to use the paste command in a bash script file. my paste command looks like this paste <( code1 ) <(code2) thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eboye
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste many files with different row number in one file

Hi everybody I am trying to merge many files in one files using paste or pr command but I am not able to resolve this issue. The file are tab delimited like these: 1 4721519 4723118 1 5022468 5024918 1 7093519 7098118 2 19736573 19741172 2 21907973 21910572... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuliangiuseppe
4 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m]] [-l line_count] [-p pattern] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a suffix_length Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b byte_count[k|m] Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If ``k'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If ``m'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l line_count Create smaller files n lines in length. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with the prefix ``x'' and with suffixes as above. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE environment variables affect the execution of split as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The split utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
August 21, 2005 BSD