Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alternative network messaging? Post 302718667 by 123_abc on Saturday 20th of October 2012 12:16:48 PM
Old 10-20-2012
I think I am going to simulate a network with VirtualBox, because here I have arbitrary amount of independent OSs.

The shell script should work like this:
1. The user logs in. Depending on his privileges, he can send messages to one user or to a group of users.
2. The receiver gets the message. If he is not online, the sender gets an error message.
The whole script shouldn't be based on P2P.

I am still unsure on which core commands this script should be build.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Instant Messaging App Help

I was hoping someone could assist me on a text-based instant messaging client(using UDP) I am working on. I have the network communication basics already in place but, specifically, needed some further help on the "messaging other users" and "getting a user list" functions. The server code that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AusTex
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

DT messaging could not be started

this id the message i get with a suggestions to check those files: /etc/src.sh /etc/hosts /usr/adm/inetd.sec i have little knowledge of hoe to edit those files/ i went to the etc library and didn't found src.sh file. what should i do? also didn't find the inetd.sec file In the host... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirp
3 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

how do i enable messaging

hi guyz i work as a system administrator for some organization(am a newbie). one of the solaris machines is loaded with the messenger server...all configured by a former administrator. my task was to create user accounts for the mail and calendar services and as i checked its not working .....i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: henokia4j
0 Replies

4. Programming

problems while using messaging queues....

hi I am using posix functions such as mq_open, mq_close and including the mqueue.h. but its giving a linking error,"undefined reference to mq_open and mq_close". it it that we have to link some library or so while compiling... plzzz help Thanxs Mohit (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit3884
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The DT messaging system could not be started

Hello All, I am getting " The DT messaging system could not be started" message when wants to login as root on a box running on tru64 5.1A. /etc/hosts is ok. when i see in .dt/errorlog it shows message server could not be started. Thanks for help. Awadhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awadhesh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The DT messaging system could not be started.

Good Morning, Users can no longer log into SunBlade 2500 Solaris 9 system (though root still can). Here's what I'm getting and what I've done. I'm most suspicious of the full drive since that pops up twice and I did see one looks full. What's a good way to reduce what's on it?- or.. what else... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
2 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)