Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Create a simple bash backup script of a file Post 302718655 by Yoda on Saturday 20th of October 2012 11:05:19 AM
Old 10-20-2012
If you just want to make a copy of file: /home/field1 , here is the syntax:-

Code:
cp /home/field1  /home/field1.bak

Last edited by Yoda; 10-20-2012 at 12:34 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff. Backup Script Using TAR. Should be simple.

I'm specifically trying to find help or insight on using the --incremental ('-G') option for creating a tar. Please resist the urge to tell me to use --listed-incremental ('-g') option. That's fairly well documented in the GNU tar manual. GNU tar 1.19 This is what the manual does say in section... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: protienplant
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Simple backup (cp) script but incremental

Hi all, I would need a rather simple bash backup script that loops throught the (local) users and for each users backs up (cp!) its /home/username folder. About the functionalities: The script has to run every 2 hours (that's cron, so don't mind about that) and the files should be copied to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: laurens
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script to create folders

Hi I want to write a small script that will create folders named from `AAAA' all the way to `ZZZZ'. That is: `AAAA' `AAAB' `AAAC' ... `AABA' `AABB' `AABC' ... `ABAA' `ABAB' `ABAC' ... `ABBA' ... `ZZZZ' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

4. AIX

backup script failed with error '0403-005 Cannot create the specified file'

In AIX 5.1, a daily run script that backing up oracle data failed yesterday with following errors: The Tivoli backup of DBPROD failed. What could be the issue, OS, backup or Oracle? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalite19
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a simple shell script to backup

Hello - I am in process of deleting many files which are older than 4 weeks. For example I am inside: /subsystem/prod/ Files are with various extentions, but anything older than 4 weeks should be deleted. What would be the most simplest script to acheive this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a simple copy script?

Guys I want to do this: copy: /var/router/system1/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system2/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system3/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system4/config/backup/install.put into: /var/router/system1/config/install.dat... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
22 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

A simple Backup script

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: All I have to do is write a script that will take two arguments. The first argument is a list which will contain... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Waffles
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create simple script

Dear all, I have a directory named A and some subdirectories named B, C, D with .xml files. I want to use the following command to strip the file. sed -re ':start s/<*>//g; /</ {N; b start}' file.xml > file.xml At the same time, I want to remove the blank lines using sed '/^$/d' How can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: corfuitl
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create excel file using bash script

i have written one script which generates text file which gives output like. 001.config: CR1.1 COMPILE_PASSED TEST_PASSED 002.config: CR1.1 COMPILE_FAILED TEST_FAILED . . .so on this text file will get filled one by one as its for loop for n number. i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RamMore123
7 Replies
createhomedir(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  createhomedir(1)

NAME
createhomedir -- create and populate home directories on the local computer. SYNOPSIS
createhomedir [-scbalh] [-n directoryDomainName] [-u username] DESCRIPTION
createhomedir provides several options for creating and populating home directories. OPTIONS
-s creates home directories for server home paths only (default). -c creates home directories for local home paths only. -b creates home directories for both server and local home paths. -a creates home directories for users defined in all directory domains of the server's search path. -l creates home directories for users defined in the local directory domain. -n directoryDomainName creates home directories for users defined in a specific directory domain in the server's search path. -u username creates a home directory for a specific user defined in the domain(s) identified in the -a, -l, or -n parameter. If you omit the -a, -l, and -n parameters when you use the -u parameter, -a is assumed. -i reads username list from standard input and creates specified home directories. Each username should be on its own line. -h usage help. FILES
/usr/sbin/createhomedir location of tool CAVEATS
When using the -a option, search limits of various directory servers (such as Open Directory or Active Directory) can prevent all possible home directories from being created. In this case, you may need to specify the usernames explicitly. Mac OS X June 1, 2019 Mac OS X