Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to identify a network device before trying to connect to it? Post 302718537 by freddie50 on Friday 19th of October 2012 05:21:39 PM
Old 10-19-2012
Many thanks for your reply!

Indeed I thought about ssh on to the NAS with a private key installed but there is no ssh server on this old NAS...
For the Address Resolution Protocol (arp -ev 192.168.10) works great to give me the MAC address of my device.
Therefore it seems I have the right tools to arp!!
Good!! But could you please be a bit more specific on the kind of tool I have to ARP on my network in order to check the MAC address associated with the ip?
On other network how to check if I have such a tool?
I guess I just try the command arp..? But How to get this arp tool if I do not have it?
Please any links to more resource about this is more than appreciated.

Thanks again for your help, that is great advice!
freddie50

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Network device driver

HI, I am writing a network device driver for RTL8139c card on 2.6.18 kernel ... I am facing few queries listed below 1. Can i able to at all write a driver for RTL8139C or Realtek had designed new chip for 2.6 series kernel? 2. If no then which driver file 2.6.18 uses .. Is it 8139too.c or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niketan
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to identify which device from ssd29?

Platform: Sun Solaris ver 9. Get alert notification from Oracle and the device stated: Disk utilization for ssd29 reached 98%. How can we map this ssd device with something like c1t2d0s0? Pls help. Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
10 Replies

3. IP Networking

Can AnyOne Help Me (connect two network)

Hi.. I have problem about connecting two network. First let me tell about my project. I use Quagga to build up IPv6 Island Network. At first, i build one (1) PC Router or one (1) network, i call it as Network A. All PC's or Laptop's (node's) that connect to Network A can communicated to each other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lieyza
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

how to identify network activity?

Hi there, I have a computer that is not a server. I mean it should have no network activity as it is meant to display videos and not to provide any ftp, web or whatever service. The probleme is that the computer actualy reports a constant network activity. How can I identify the processes that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
1 Replies

5. AIX

entstat: 0909-003 Unable to connect to device

Hello All, at our client VIOS Server there is shared ethernet adapter ent6, when I run lsattr -El ent6 the output shows real adapter ent1 lsattr -El ent6 accounting disabled Enable per-client accounting of network statistics True ctl_chan ent5 Control Channel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

What is a fake network device?

Thanks in advance! Ben (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
1 Replies

7. Hardware

identify wireless network card

hi Howto identify wireless network card using Live CD? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB device not recognised after re-connect

Hi all unixware 7.1.3 I'm afraid ! I connected a usb tape drive and it was automatically recognised in the device list (sdiconfig -l) and created devices in /dev/rmt (ctape1 etc.). I could successfully read and write to the device. Then unplugged the usb cable and plugged it back in again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deel
0 Replies
RLM_IPPOOL_TOOL(8)					      System Manager's Manual						RLM_IPPOOL_TOOL(8)

NAME
rlm_ippool_tool - dump the contents of the FreeRadius ippool database files SYNOPSIS
If an ipaddress is specified then that address is used to limit the actions or output. rlm_ippool_tool [-a] [-c] [-o] [-v] session-db index-db [ipaddress] Mark the entry nasIP/nasPort as having ipaddress rlm_ippool_tool -n session-db index-db ipaddress nasIP nasPort Update old format database to new. rlm_ippool_tool -u session-db new-session-db DESCRIPTION
rlm_ippool_tool dumps the contents of the FreeRADIUS ippool databases for analyses or for removal of active (stuck?) entries. Or with the -n argument adds a usage entry to the FreeRADIUS ippool databases. OPTIONS
-a Print all active entries. -c Report number of active entries. -r Remove active entries. -v Verbose report of all entries. -o Assume old database format (nas/port pair, not md5 output). -n Mark the entry nasIP/nasPort as having ipaddress. -u Update old format database to new. EXAMPLES
Given the syntax in the FreeRadius radiusd.conf: ippool myippool { range-start = 192.0.2.0 range-stop = 192.0.2.255 [...] session-db = ${raddbdir}/ip-pool.db ip-index = ${raddbdir}/ip-index.db } To see the number of active entries in this pool, use: $ rlm_ippool_tool -c ip-pool.db ip-index.db 13 To see all active entries in this pool, use: $ rlm_ippool_tool -a ip-pool.db ip-index.db 192.0.2.5 192.0.2.82 192.0.2.244 192.0.2.57 192.0.2.120 192.0.2.27 [...] To see all information about the active entries in the use, use: $ rlm_ippool_tool -av ip-pool.db ip-index.db NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x2e8 - ipaddr:192.0.2.5 active:1 cli:0 num:1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x17c - ipaddr:192.0.2.82 active:1 cli:0 num:1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x106 - ipaddr:192.0.2.244 active:1 cli:0 num:1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x157 - ipaddr:192.0.2.57 active:1 cli:0 num:1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x2d8 - ipaddr:192.0.2.120 active:1 cli:0 num:1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x162 - ipaddr:192.0.2.27 active:1 cli:0 num:1 [...] To see only information of one entry, use: $ rlm_ippool_tool -v ip-pool.db ip-index.db 192.0.2.1 NAS:172.16.1.1 port:0x90 - ipaddr:192.0.2.1 active:0 cli:0 num:0 To add an IP address usage entry, use: $ rlm_ippool_tool -n ip-pool.db ip-index.db 192.0.0.1 172.16.1.1 0x90 rlm_ippool_tool: Allocating ip to nas/port: 172.16.1.1/144 rlm_ippool_tool: num: 1 rlm_ippool_tool: Allocated ip 192.0.2.1 to client on nas 172.16.1.1,port 144 SEE ALSO
radiusd(8) AUTHORS
Currently part of the FreeRADIUS Project (http://www.freeradius.org) Originally by Edwin Groothuis, edwin@mavetju.org (http://www.mavetju.org) Mailing list details are at http://www.freeradius.org/ RLM_IPPOOL_TOOL(8)