Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking variable with specific string and stripping number from it. Post 302717061 by jayeshpatel on Wednesday 17th of October 2012 01:12:47 PM
Old 10-17-2012
Suggestion did not work.

Can you provide me small script, with following info.

if $test value is empty or $test value is 12s( any numeric ) or $tet value is 32h ( any numeric instead of 32 ) , ignore.
If $test value is 15m ( any numeric ) I should do echo $(test%m).

your help would be highly appreciated. thx.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of specific char in a string.

I wish to compute the number of dot chars in a string. Example: VAR="aaaa.bbbbb.cccc" I try the shortest command to solve this test. Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Giovanni (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check whether variable number or string

I am passing an argument to a file and i wanna check whether the argument is a number or string ? how can i do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping a portion of string from behind!!!

Hi, How to strip a portion of a file name from behind...Say for Eg..i have a file name like aaaaa.bbbbb.Mar-17-2007 i want to remove .Mar-17-2007...is there a one line command which can give this output... Thanks Kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping the spaces in a string variable

Hi , i have to strip the spaces in the string which has the following value ABC DEF i want this to appear like this ABC DEF is there any spilt method? please help.... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[csh] checking for specific character ranges in a variable

I want to check if a zip code is valid, using a variable that stores the zipcode. I am not sure how I would do this in a script. I know that simply checking for the numerical range of the number will not work, because '1' would be '00001' in zip code format. I know when I am in shell, I can use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract variable number from a String

hi,I am new to shell script,I have String,like this: Number of rows exported: 5321 the numbe at end could changing,how can I extract this number and assign it to a variable,then use it later in script. thanks. (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: vitesse
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping a variable down

I have a variable that has an absolute path for a file on my computer. This dynamically changes. Is there a way I can assign two new variables from that one? variable: /Users/keith/Desktop/test/file.mov 1) filename - no path or extention ....so just....file 2) path no filename or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegate
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping characters from a variable

I'm using a shell script to get user input with this command: read UserInput I would then like to take the "UserInput" variable and strip out all of the following characters, regardless of where they appear in the variable or how many occurrences there are: \/":|<>+=;,?*@ I'm not sure... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrogers64
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding variable number of space in between two string

Hi, I am looking for the way to add variable number of spaces between two string. e.g input line is a ,bb abc ,bcb pqr ,bfg My output should be something like this a ,bb abc ,bcb pqr ,bfg This text... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
9 Replies
sa2(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    sa2(8)

NAME
sa2 -- Generate a system activity daily report file. SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sa2 [-dgpu] [-n mode] [-e time] [-f filename] [-i seconds] [-s time] DESCRIPTION
The sa2 command is a shell script used to invoke the system activity reporter sar for purposes of generating the standard default daily report file. The report file generated is, /var/log/sa/sardd where the dd represents the current day of the month. The sa2 options are the same as those documented in sar(1). When sa2 runs, it will also remove data and report files, found in /var/log/sa, that are more than one week old. The sa2 command is intended to be started by cron. EXAMPLE CRON ENTRY
# Starting at 8am collect system activity records # every 20 minutes for 12 hours # 20 minutes = 1200 seconds # 12 hours with 3 samples each hour = 36 loops 0 8 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 1200 36 # After the 12 hour period, # collect a system activity report 30 20 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -A FILES
/var/log/sa/sardd Default daily report file. /var/log/sa/sadd Default daily data file. dd are digits that represent the day of the month. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), fs_usage(1), netstat(1), sar(1), sc_usage(1), top(1), vm_stat(1), crontab(5), iostat(8), sa1(8), sadc(8) Mac OS X Jul 25 2003 Mac OS X