Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read from a file in unix(Continue from previous thread) Post 302716517 by pamu on Tuesday 16th of October 2012 01:34:21 PM
Old 10-16-2012
Assuming you need to check spaces present only in which you are passing argument.
Is this what you want..?

Code:
file_name="$1"
var="$2"

if [[ $(awk -v VM="$var" 'VM && NF > 1' $file_name) ]]
then
echo "Fail"
else
echo "Running"
fi

OR

Code:
file_name="$1"
var="$2"

if [[ $(grep $var $file_name | grep " " -c) -gt 1 ]]
then
echo "Fail"
else
echo "Running"
fi

Last edited by pamu; 10-16-2012 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: corrected..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to implement read/write thread

How to implement read/write thread. This has to implemented at server side ar at client side? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilpi_gup
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to skip any warning messages and continue job execution

Hello All, Good day! This is my first UNIX post. :D Anyways, I would like to seek help from you guys if you know of any UNIX command that will skip a warning message once it is encountered but continue to run the execution. Ok here's the situation in general: An encypted file is sent to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennah_rekka
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How can I output all previous Unix commands in Solaris to a file??

Hello friends: I login to solaris with a username/Password and I can see quite a lot of previous I use dbefore, it accumulates a lot, I hope to output them into a Command.txt file as reference, not copy/paste 1 by 1, is there any way I can collect all commands in batch then put into a file, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysunnysunny
3 Replies

4. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Gud to read u r Thread

Hi Neo , I was searching for Unix Certifications on Google and got u r thread: "unix-certification-most-needed-these-days.html" It was a gr8 read. Nice to know ur thoughts.. I m also a newbie to this Unix world and had a gr8 interst in it. I m learning shell scripting and other basics. Would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paras.oriental
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read column values from previous and next line using awk

Hi, I have a csv file which contains data that looks something like this: Key1 Key2 Key3 New_Key1 New_Key2 New_Key3 102 30 0 - - - 102 40 1 30 40 50 102 50 2 40 50 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nishi_Licious
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX UNIX - script on how to extract from log file with previous date

Hello, I am new to this forum so any assistance would help. I am currently trying to develop a script that extract all data from a log file with has the previous day's date. $ <root@aixtest3> /var/log > more sudo.log May 13 10:52:10 aixtest3 local2:notice sudo: tbrath : TTY=unknown ; ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kslew82
14 Replies

8. Solaris

Rebooting Windows machine leads to continue sync reset on UNIX

Hello, We have Windows 10 machine connected to Sparc T5440 server via serial cable. We access the server from the Windows 10 machine using putty via serial connection. This allows us to access ILOM and Unix. We have recently noticed that whenever we reboot the windows machine (Windows 10),... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasonu
11 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)