Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk based script to ignore all columns from a file which contains character strings Post 302716149 by ks_reddy on Tuesday 16th of October 2012 03:57:46 AM
Old 10-16-2012
awk based script to ignore all columns from a file which contains character strings

Hello All,

I have a .CSV file where I expect all numeric data in all the columns other than column headers.
But sometimes I get the files (result of statistics computation by other persons) like below( sample data)

Code:
SNO,Data1,Data2,Data3
2,3,4,SOME STRING
3,4,Inf,5

I want to remove the columns where ever character strings( I cannot provide the complete list as it is unknown) appear in any row of a column.
So the output will be like this
Code:
SNo,Data1

I have 10000 columns in my file, so manually deleting all these columns taking lot of time.

Thanks
Sidda

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Linux script to remove a character in a file based on position.

Greetings, We have a requirement where we need to loop in a fixed width file in linux and remove a character based on a position for every record. It would highly appreciate if someone can help to automate this. Appreciate your time and help! Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk based script to find the median of all individual columns in a data file

Hi All, I have some data like below. Step1,Param1,Param2,Param3 1,2,3,4 2,3,4,5 2,4,5,6 3,0,1,2 3,0,0,0 3,2,1,3 ........ so on Where I need to find the median(arithmetic) of each column from Param1...to..Param3 for each set of Step1 values. (Sort each specific column, if the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk based script to find the average of all the columns in a data file

Hi All, I need the modification for the below mentioned code (found in one more post https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/27161-script-generate-average-values.html) to find the average values for all the columns(but for a specific rows) and print the averages side by side. I have... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk replacing identical columns based on another file

Hello, I am using Awk in UBUNTU 12.04. I have a file like following with three fields and 44706 rows. F1 A A F2 G G F3 A T I have another file like this: AL_1 F1 A A AL_2 F1 A T AL_3 F1 A A AL_1 F2 G G AL_2 F2 G A AL_3 F2 G G BO_1 F1 A A BO_2 F1 A T... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to split file into multiple files based on many columns

So I have a space delimited file that I'd like to split into multiple files based on multiple column values. This is what my data looks like 1bc9A02 1 10 1000 FTDLNLVQALRQFLWSFRLPGEAQKIDRMMEAFAQRYCQCNNGVFQSTDTCYVLSFAIIMLNTSLHNPNVKDKPTVERFIAMNRGINDGGDLPEELLRNLYESIKNEPFKIPELEHHHHHH 1ku1A02 1 10... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: viored
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk error - validating strings in columns

can someone please help me fix this command: somecommand.sh | awk -F"---" 'BEGIN{count=0} /P/ && /ERROR/ {if (($3 ~ /^P$/) && ($6 ~ /ERROR/)) {print; count++ }END { print count } ;}' basically, what i'm attempting to do here is print all the matching lines, then, at the end, print the total... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove certain character strings with awk?

Hi all, I need to remove DBPATH= and /db from the string below using awk (or sed, as it also exists on the machine). Input: DBPATH=/some/path/database/db Desired output: /some/path/database Thank you! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimit file based on character length using awk

Hi, I need help with one problem, I came across recently. I have one input file which I need to delimit based on character length. $ cat Input.txt 12345sda231453 asd760kjol62569 sdasw4g76gdf57 And, There is one comma separated file which mentions "start of the field" and "length... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to ignore multiple rows based on a condition

All, I have a text file(Inputfile.csv) with millions of rows and 100 columns. Check the sample for 2 columns below. Key,Check A,1 A,2 A, A,4 B,0 B,1 B,2 B,3 B,4 .... million rows. My requirement is to delete all the rows corresponding to all the keys which ever has at least one... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to ignore mutiple strings when using shell script?

Hi All, I am trying to use below syntax to find ignore multiple locations while searching for a file. find / -name "$serviceitem" ! -size 0 2>&1 |egrep -v "tmp|docker|WinSxS|Permission|HISTORY|alternatives|bearer11ssl|manifest" I tried to assign all the ignore strings to one variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani25
2 Replies
PSC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PSC(1)

NAME
psc - prepare sc files SYNOPSIS
psc [-fLkrSPv] [-s cell] [-R n] [-C n] [-n n] [-d c] DESCRIPTION
Psc is used to prepare data for input to the spreadsheet calculator sc(1). It accepts normal ascii data on standard input. Standard out- put is a sc file. With no options, psc starts the spreadsheet in cell A0. Strings are right justified. All data on a line is entered on the same row; new input lines cause the output row number to increment by one. The default delimiters are tab and space. The column for- mats are set to one larger than the number of columns required to hold the largest value in the column. OPTIONS
-f Omit column width calculations. This option is for preparing data to be merged with an existing spreadsheet. If the option is not specified, the column widths calculated for the data read by psc will override those already set in the existing spreadsheet. -L Left justify strings. -k Keep all delimiters. This option causes the output cell to change on each new delimiter encountered in the input stream. The default action is to condense multiple delimiters to one, so that the cell only changes once per input data item. -r Output the data by row first then column. For input consisting of a single column, this option will result in output of one row with multiple columns instead of a single column spreadsheet. -s cell Start the top left corner of the spreadsheet in cell. For example, -s B33 will arrange the output data so that the spreadsheet starts in column B, row 33. -R n Increment by n on each new output row. -C n Increment by n on each new output column. -n n Output n rows before advancing to the next column. This option is used when the input is arranged in a single column and the spreadsheet is to have multiple columns, each of which is to be length n. -d c Use the single character c as the delimiter between input fields. -P Plain numbers only. A field is a number only when there is no imbedded [-+eE]. -S All numbers are strings. -v Print the version of psc SEE ALSO
sc(1) AUTHOR
Robert Bond PSC 7.16 19 September 2002 PSC(1)