Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed replace using same pattern repeating multiple times in a line Post 302715965 by Don Cragun on Monday 15th of October 2012 08:33:58 PM
Old 10-15-2012
I don't see the pattern you're trying to match nor the desired change you want from your example. You seem to say that you want to change
Code:
/*<tagz>*/hello.

to:
Code:
/*<tagz>*/${tagz}.

which I can easily make happen, but then you want the same substitution command to change
Code:
/*<tag2>*/bye.

to:
Code:
/*<tag1>*/<tag>.

which seems entirely different.

Please describe in words the pattern you are trying to match and describe the replacement that you want to make for that pattern.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Replace Line which contains the Pattern match with a new line

I need to replace the line containing "STAGE_DB" with the line "STAGE_DB $DB # database that contains the table being loaded ($workingDB)" Here $DB is passed during the runtime. How can I do this? Thanks, Kousikan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kousikan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Replace a repeating character

I have a text file and every line ends in |^ |^^ |^^^ |^^^^ I need to use sed to make all lines end it |^ regardless of the amount of carrots. The code i was using is: cat FILE | sed 's/\^\^\^/\^/g' But then they threw that curveball at me. Also is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Replace repeating pattern

Hi, I have an sqlplus output file using the character ';' as a delimiter and I would like to replace the fields without datas (i.e delimited by ';;') by ';0;' Example: my sqlplus output: 11;22;33;44;;;77;; What I would like to have: 11;22;33;44;0;0;77;0; Thanks in advance for your... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popesk
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace everything but pattern in a line using sed

I have a file with multiple lines like this: <junk><PATTERN><junk><PATTERN><junk> <junk><PATTERN><junk><PATTERN><junk><PATTERN><junk> Note that 1. There might be variable number occurrences of PATTERN in a line. 2. <> are just placeholders, they do not form part of the pattern. I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flatley
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to know how to replace a line after a pattern match with an empty line using SED

Hi How Are you? I am doing fine! I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Basically I need to replace the entire line containing "doing" with a blank line: I need to the following output: Hi How Are you? I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk/perl command to replace pattern in multiple lines

Hi I know sed and awk has options to give range of line numbers, but I need to replace pattern in specific lines Something like sed -e '1s,14s,26s/pattern/new pattern/' file name Can somebody help me in this.... I am fine with see/awk/perl Thank you in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani777
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Indexing each repeating pattern of rows in a column using awk/sed

Hello All, I have data like this in a column. 0 1 2 3 0 3 4 5 6 0 1 2 3 etc. where 0 identifies the start of a pattern in my data. So I need the output like below using either awk/sed. 0 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace one value which occurs multiple times

Hi, My Input File : "MN.1.2.1.2.14.1.1" := "MN_13_TM_4" ( 000000110110100100110001111110110110101110101001100111110100011010110111001 ) "MOS.1.2.1.2.13.6.2" := "MOS_13_TM_4" ( 000000110110100100110001111110110110101110101001100111110100011010110111001 ) Like above template,I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti Chandra
4 Replies
MB_EREG_REPLACE(3)							 1							MB_EREG_REPLACE(3)

mb_ereg_replace - Replace regular expression with multibyte support

SYNOPSIS
string mb_ereg_replace (string $pattern, string $replacement, string $string, [string $option = "msr"]) DESCRIPTION
Scans $string for matches to $pattern, then replaces the matched text with $replacement PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The regular expression pattern. Multibyte characters may be used in $pattern. o $replacement - The replacement text. o $string - The string being checked. o $option - Matching condition can be set by $option parameter. If i is specified for this parameter, the case will be ignored. If x is specified, white space will be ignored. If m is specified, match will be executed in multiline mode and line break will be included in '.'. If p is specified, match will be executed in POSIX mode, line break will be considered as normal character. If e is specified, $replacement string will be evaluated as PHP expression. RETURN VALUES
The resultant string on success, or FALSE on error. NOTES
Note The internal encoding or the character encoding specified by mb_regex_encoding(3) will be used as the character encoding for this function. Warning Never use the e modifier when working on untrusted input. No automatic escaping will happen (as known from preg_replace(3)). Not taking care of this will most likely create remote code execution vulnerabilities in your application. SEE ALSO
mb_regex_encoding(3), mb_eregi_replace(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_EREG_REPLACE(3)