Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed replace using same pattern repeating multiple times in a line Post 302715963 by agama on Monday 15th of October 2012 08:15:14 PM
Old 10-15-2012
You're falling victim to the greedy match. Have a go with this:

Code:
echo "/*<tagz>*/${tagz}.unix some random text and /*<tag1>*/${tag}.unix" | sed -E 's!\*<([^>]*)>[^.]*\.!*<\1>*/${\1}.!g'

Only tried it on your sample and one other contrived example, so it might not be perfect. I also prefer using -E to avoid escaping parens which just make it messy. If you are using a BSD based sed it'll be a different (-r or -R, I cannot remember and my BSD box isn't up right now).

Last edited by agama; 10-15-2012 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: small tweek to ensure *< and not just <tag

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Replace Line which contains the Pattern match with a new line

I need to replace the line containing "STAGE_DB" with the line "STAGE_DB $DB # database that contains the table being loaded ($workingDB)" Here $DB is passed during the runtime. How can I do this? Thanks, Kousikan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kousikan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Replace a repeating character

I have a text file and every line ends in |^ |^^ |^^^ |^^^^ I need to use sed to make all lines end it |^ regardless of the amount of carrots. The code i was using is: cat FILE | sed 's/\^\^\^/\^/g' But then they threw that curveball at me. Also is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insania
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Replace repeating pattern

Hi, I have an sqlplus output file using the character ';' as a delimiter and I would like to replace the fields without datas (i.e delimited by ';;') by ';0;' Example: my sqlplus output: 11;22;33;44;;;77;; What I would like to have: 11;22;33;44;0;0;77;0; Thanks in advance for your... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popesk
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace everything but pattern in a line using sed

I have a file with multiple lines like this: <junk><PATTERN><junk><PATTERN><junk> <junk><PATTERN><junk><PATTERN><junk><PATTERN><junk> Note that 1. There might be variable number occurrences of PATTERN in a line. 2. <> are just placeholders, they do not form part of the pattern. I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flatley
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to know how to replace a line after a pattern match with an empty line using SED

Hi How Are you? I am doing fine! I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Basically I need to replace the entire line containing "doing" with a blank line: I need to the following output: Hi How Are you? I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk/perl command to replace pattern in multiple lines

Hi I know sed and awk has options to give range of line numbers, but I need to replace pattern in specific lines Something like sed -e '1s,14s,26s/pattern/new pattern/' file name Can somebody help me in this.... I am fine with see/awk/perl Thank you in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani777
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Indexing each repeating pattern of rows in a column using awk/sed

Hello All, I have data like this in a column. 0 1 2 3 0 3 4 5 6 0 1 2 3 etc. where 0 identifies the start of a pattern in my data. So I need the output like below using either awk/sed. 0 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace one value which occurs multiple times

Hi, My Input File : "MN.1.2.1.2.14.1.1" := "MN_13_TM_4" ( 000000110110100100110001111110110110101110101001100111110100011010110111001 ) "MOS.1.2.1.2.13.6.2" := "MOS_13_TM_4" ( 000000110110100100110001111110110110101110101001100111110100011010110111001 ) Like above template,I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti Chandra
4 Replies
md5crypt(n)						   MD5-based password encryption					       md5crypt(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
md5crypt - MD5-based password encryption SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require md5 2.0 package require md5crypt ?1.1.0? ::md5crypt::md5crypt password salt ::md5crypt::aprcrypt password salt ::md5crypt::salt ?length? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides an implementation of the MD5-crypt password encryption algorithm as pioneered by FreeBSD and currently in use as a replacement for the unix crypt(3) function in many modern systems. An implementation of the closely related Apache MD5-crypt is also avail- able. The output of these commands are compatible with the BSD and OpenSSL implementation of md5crypt and the Apache 2 htpasswd program. COMMANDS
::md5crypt::md5crypt password salt Generate a BSD compatible md5-encoded password hash from the plaintext password and a random salt (see SALT). ::md5crypt::aprcrypt password salt Generate an Apache compatible md5-encoded password hash from the plaintext password and a random salt (see SALT). ::md5crypt::salt ?length? Generate a random salt string suitable for use with the md5crypt and aprcrypt commands. SALT
The salt passed to either of the encryption schemes implemented here is checked to see if it begins with the encryption scheme magic string (either "$1$" for MD5-crypt or "$apr1$" for Apache crypt). If so, this is removed. The remaining characters up to the next $ and up to a maximum of 8 characters are then used as the salt. The salt text should probably be restricted the set of ASCII alphanumeric characters plus "./" (dot and forward-slash) - this is to preserve maximum compatability with the unix password file format. If a password is being generated rather than checked from a password file then the salt command may be used to generate a random salt. EXAMPLES
% md5crypt::md5crypt password 01234567 $1$01234567$b5lh2mHyD2PdJjFfALlEz1 % md5crypt::aprcrypt password 01234567 $apr1$01234567$IXBaQywhAhc0d75ZbaSDp/ % md5crypt::md5crypt password [md5crypt::salt] $1$dFmvyRmO$T.V3OmzqeEf3hqJp2WFcb. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category md5crypt of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
md5 KEYWORDS
hashing, md5, md5crypt, message-digest, security CATEGORY
Hashes, checksums, and encryption COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2003, Pat Thoyts <patthoyts@users.sourceforge.net> md5crypt 1.1.0 md5crypt(n)