Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Environment Variables
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Environment Variables Post 302715485 by bakunin on Monday 15th of October 2012 03:31:45 AM
Old 10-15-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahinkhan22
by the way Under which major topic this might be listed?
There are no "major topics" in man, it is a database. you enter "man command" and it tells you about the command. Try it with some of the commands you know. You can even enter "man man" to get help about "man".

There is also a keyword search, "man -k keyword" (or "apropos keyword", which is the same), which will bring up a list of articles in which "keyword" is used.

The only major grouping is that the man database is grouped in "sections".
I suggest you start with "man man", the sections and their contents are laid out there. Unix expertise is not so much about knowing everything, but to know where to find everything. We all use "man" frequently, many times a day, to look up certain information. So you can't start early enough to develop the same habit.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the use of Environment variables

what is the actual use of environment variables. I know only PS1, LOGNAME, PS2 variables what are the other variables & what is there use (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianguru
2 Replies

2. Programming

environment variables

Hi! How-to get the environment variables in GNU. getenv() only fetches the ones that you can find under export (not the ones under declare)... best regars .David (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

environment variables

Hi Folks, Is it possible somehow to unset all the environment variables which have been defined before in UNIX (Solaris). Thanks, Slava (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spavlov
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help..Environment variables...

hi, 1). i would like to know what is meant by environment variables? 2). is the number of envi variables is a constant number for unix systems? 3). how to see the list of envi variables (and the values of the envi variables)in a single command? 4). if this questions were already asked... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
3 Replies

5. Programming

environment variables

hi, I want to create a new EV(Environment Variable) through a c program and I done this thing through setenv() method. But the newly created EV is not permanent, i.e. when I exit from the program the EV also no longer lives. But I want to make it a permanent EV for the current user. Actually I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variables

Hi, If i have a variable set and exported in my pofile file will that variable be available in all shell scripts created. Thanks, Radhika. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variables

why are all environment variables represented in a fixed format regardless of the shell you use? like $HOME $PATH etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment variables

I have read tons of posts about how you can't set persisting environment variable in a child script of a shell and have it persist. The only way is to source a file as % . <scriptname> I am finding that true... but I know there is a way around it. I just don't know how. I worked for 6... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwa25
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

Environment Variables

Hi Experts, Need your help in understanding the commands to setup the environment variables in hp-ux. Beleive need to use either set,setenv or export. I am confused between above three options, when to use which option? On command line, I have tried both set and setenv but couldn't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Environment Variables

Hi All, I need to understand following three environment variables and their usages in HP Unix. _M_ARENA_OPTS _M_CACHE_OPTS PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM How does these environment variables influence multi threaded applciation and how do we decide the value of these variables? Is there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
0 Replies
EXECUTE(7)                                                         SQL Commands                                                         EXECUTE(7)

NAME
EXECUTE - execute a prepared statement SYNOPSIS
EXECUTE name [ ( parameter [, ...] ) ] DESCRIPTION
EXECUTE is used to execute a previously prepared statement. Since prepared statements only exist for the duration of a session, the pre- pared statement must have been created by a PREPARE statement executed earlier in the current session. If the PREPARE statement that created the statement specified some parameters, a compatible set of parameters must be passed to the EXECUTE statement, or else an error is raised. Note that (unlike functions) prepared statements are not overloaded based on the type or number of their parameters; the name of a prepared statement must be unique within a database session. For more information on the creation and usage of prepared statements, see PREPARE [prepare(7)]. PARAMETERS
name The name of the prepared statement to execute. parameter The actual value of a parameter to the prepared statement. This must be an expression yielding a value that is compatible with the data type of this parameter, as was determined when the prepared statement was created. OUTPUTS
The command tag returned by EXECUTE is that of the prepared statement, and not EXECUTE. EXAMPLES
Examples are given in the Examples [prepare(7)] section of the PREPARE [prepare(7)] documentation. COMPATIBILITY
The SQL standard includes an EXECUTE statement, but it is only for use in embedded SQL. This version of the EXECUTE statement also uses a somewhat different syntax. SEE ALSO
DEALLOCATE [deallocate(7)], PREPARE [prepare(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 EXECUTE(7)