Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting what is the better way to validate records in a file. Post 302715407 by Scrutinizer on Monday 15th of October 2012 01:20:06 AM
Old 10-15-2012
You could try to do it all in awk, that would speed up things. For example:
Code:
awk '
  NR==FNR{
    W[$2]=$3
    next
  }
  {
    for(i in W)
      if(length($i)>W[i]){
        print > "file.bad"
        next
      }
  }
' FS='[^0-9]*' colwidthfile FS=\| file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate the file name

write a shell script that check file name like pstat_24.txt (up to 5 digits) i mean to say this digit can be range from 1 to 99999 only correct file name are pstat_10000.txt pstat_12345.txt pstat_14569.txt wrong file name are pstat_1234567.txt pstat_1a2345.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maykap100
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate a CSV file?

Hi. I think some people have already asked this, but the answers/questions seem to be about validating the contents inside a CSV file. I am simply after a simple variable solution (ie 0 = false, 1 = true) that I can use in my script to say that file so-and-so is actually a CSV file, or in some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate against a file

Hello all, I am having problem in writing a if condition for the following: I have a file Instance.dat which has: #Server Environment server1 dev server2 dev server3 sit #!/bin/ksh ENV=dev for i in $( cat Instances.dat | grep -v '#' |awk {'print $2'} ) do if ]... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validate the file

How do we validate the header file. The file number should increament by 1 (position 17 to 19) if not abend the process. first week ABC0001 20100101123 second week ABC0001 20100108124 Third week ABC0001 20100115125 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wanted best way to validate delimited file records

actually i post about this issue before but many folkz miss-understood with my quesion, We are checking for the delimited file records validation Delimited file will have data like this: Aaaa|sdfhxfgh|sdgjhxfgjh|sdgjsdg|sgdjsg| Aaaa|sdfhxfgh|sdgjhxfgjh|sdgjsdg|sgdjsg|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seshendranath
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Validate csv file

Hi guys, i want to validate the no.of colums in a csv file ,but if there is a comma(,) in any of the data values it should skip and count only valid (,) commas. e.g 1.abc,pqrs,1234,567,hhh result :4 2.abc,pqrs,1234,567,hhh,"in,valid",end12 result:6 here script should skip the comma inside... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harry123
10 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)