Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting lines before and until next pattern in file /awk, sed Post 302715069 by ocramas on Saturday 13th of October 2012 05:40:26 PM
Old 10-13-2012
Thanks guys, the last post from msabhi did the trick! but I was also able to get a lot of good things from the previous answers.

thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk/sed/grep lines which contains a pattern at a given position

Dear friends I am new to linux and was trying to split some files userwise in our linux server. I have a data file of 156 continuous columns named ecscr final. I want the script to redirect all the lines containing a pattern of 7 digits to separate files. I was using grep to do that,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anoopvraj
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk to insert multiple lines before pattern

I'm attempting to insert multiple lines before a line matching a given search pattern. These lines are generated in a separate function and can either be piped in as stdout or read from a temporary file. I've been able to insert the lines from a file after the pattern using: sed -i '/pattern/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zksailor534
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk : how to delete lines based on IP pattern ?

Hi, I would like to delete lines in /etc/hosts on few workstations, basically I want to delete all the lines for a list of machines like this : for HOST in $(cat stations.lst |uniq) do # echo -n "$HOST" if ping -c 1 $HOST > /dev/null 2>&1 then HOSTNAME_val=`rsh $HOST "sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: albator1932
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the lines between the pattern using awk/grep/sed?

Hi, I need a help to search a pattern and print the multiple lines between them. Input file: Tue May 29 12:30:33 EDT 2012:threadWebContainer : 357:com.travimp.hotelierlinks.abba.service.RequestHandler.requestService(String, ITICSDataSet): hotelCancelReservation request: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk/perl command to replace pattern in multiple lines

Hi I know sed and awk has options to give range of line numbers, but I need to replace pattern in specific lines Something like sed -e '1s,14s,26s/pattern/new pattern/' file name Can somebody help me in this.... I am fine with see/awk/perl Thank you in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani777
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk or sed to find a pattern that has lines before and after it

Dear gurus, Please help this beginner to write and understand the required script. I am looking for useing awk for sed. I have a few thousand lines file whose contain are mostly as below and I am trying to achieve followings. 1. Find a string, say user1. Then hash the line containing the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran_bon_78
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed/awk join lines once pattern found

Hi all OS - RHEL6.4 I have input file -f1.txt I need to search line which starts with \Start and read next line till it gets blank line and join them all. I need to trim any trailing spaces for each line.So output.txt should be.. \Start\now\fine stepwatch this space for toolsends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
slrnpull(1)							   User Manuals 						       slrnpull(1)

NAME
slrnpull - Pull a small newsfeed for offline reading. SYNOPSIS
slrnpull [-d spooldir] [-h server] [--debug file] [--expire] [--fetch-score n] [--help] [--kill-log file] [--kill-score n] [--logfile file] [--marked-bodies] [--new-groups] [--no-post] [--post] [--post-only] [--rebuild] [--version] DESCRIPTION
slrnpull pulls a small newsfeed from an NNTP server. It puts the articles into a spool directory from which slrn can later read them, even if the server is unreachable at that time. Typically, this is useful if you do not have a permanent network connection. OPTIONS
The following options can be used when calling slrnpull from the command line. -d spooldir Set slrnpull's root directory for this run to spooldir, overriding the $SLRNPULL_ROOT environment variable. -h host[:port] Connect to the NNTP server on host, overriding the $NNTPSERVER environment variable. If no port is given, the default NNTP port (119) will be used. --debug file Write dialogue with the server and some additional debugging output to file. --expire Expire (remove) old messages from the spool, but do not fetch news. --fetch-score n Fetch article bodies with a score of at least n automatically (in true offline mode, the default is to fetch only bodies that were explicitly marked by the user). --help Show help for command line switches. --kill-log file Keep a log of all articles that were killed by the scorefile in file. By default, no such logfile is created. --kill-score n Kill all articles with a score below n. The default value for this is 0. --logfile file Log the messages and errors that slrnpull prints to the screen to file. By default, they get written to the file log in slrnpull's root directory. --marked-bodies Only fetch bodies that were marked for download within slrn. --new-groups Check for new groups, appending them to the file new.groups in the data directory. --no-post Do not post any articles to the server. --post Obsolete version of --post-only. --post-only Post outgoing articles, but do not fetch news. --rebuild Like --expire, but also rebuild the overview information. To be used when the overview information is damaged. --version Print the version number. ENVIRONMENT
slrnpull reads the following environment variables. Note that they can be overridden by command line switches. NNTPSERVER You can use this variable to tell slrnpull which NNTP server to connect to. It can be overridden by the command line option -h. SLRNPULL_ROOT Defines the directory where slrnpull will look for its configuration files and spool the articles. An absolute filename is needed here. This can be overriden by the option -d. FILES
$SLRNPULL_ROOT/authinfo If the server requires authentication, this file needs to contain the data (username in the first line, password in the second). Be careful not to make this file world-readable! $SLRNPULL_ROOT/log The default file to log status and error messages to. $SLRNPULL_ROOT/score If you want slrnpull to apply scoring rules to decide which articles to download, put them into this file. $SLRNPULL_ROOT/slrnpull.conf The main configuration file. It tells slrnpull how many articles to get from which groups and when to expire them. SEE ALSO
The documentation that comes with slrnpull, especially README and SETUP. The FAQ of slrn also answers some questions about slrnpull. You might also want to look at slrn's official home page, http://slrn.sourceforge.net/ or post to news.software.readers if you have a ques- tion not covered by existing documentation. The latest version of slrnpull is part of the slrn package available from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/slrn/ AUTHOR
John E. Davis <davis@space.mit.edu> Please send any bug reports to the current maintainer, Thomas Schultz <tststs@gmx.de> Unix September 2004 slrnpull(1)