Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming what is the name of this piece of code Post 302714999 by fwrlfo on Saturday 13th of October 2012 12:53:21 PM
Old 10-13-2012
Computer what is the name of this piece of code

Code:
while ((numRead = read(inputFd, buf, BUF_SIZE)) > 0)
if (write(outputFd, buf, numRead) != numRead)
fatal("couldn't write whole buffer");

if (numRead == -1)
errExit("read");

if (close(inputFd) == -1)
errExit("close input");

if (close(outputFd) == -1)
errExit("close output");

exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);

since:
Code:
#ifndef BUF_SIZE 
#define BUF_SIZE 1024
#endif
ssize_t numRead;
char buf[BUF_SIZE];
inputFd = open(argv[1], O_RDONLY);
outputFd = open(argv[2], openFlags, filePerms);

I need to understand the while loop Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

a piece of code, plz help to review

use "getopts" to get params from command. Need replace black with a specified string like "%20 DEFAULT_DELIM=%20 ... while getopts dek:f:t:vh OPTION do case $OPTION in t) DELIM=`tvar=/'"$OPTARG"'/ svar="$DEFAULT_DELIM" awk 'BEGIN{T=ENVIRON;S=ENVIRON; while(index(T,S)!=0){S=S"0"};print... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anypager
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what does this piece of code do?

Hi All, I am trying to understand and change some code written by some programmer a while ago. There are following three lines of code that I am unable to grasp. Could anybody please help me understand it? 1) cd - > /dev/null 2) fname=`basename "$1"` where $1 = /dirA/dirB/a.txt ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a piece of information from a huge file

Hello All, I need some assistance to extract a piece of information from a huge file. The file is like this one : database information ccccccccccccccccc ccccccccccccccccc ccccccccccccccccc ccccccccccccccccc os information cccccccccccccccccc cccccccccccccccccc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcor
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script or piece of code where the data returned by a stored procedure you are writing

hi fndz. Can you please help me with the code if I call a stored procedure from my shell script and stored procedure returns a cursor, cursor output should be saved to a file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enigma_83
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help optimizing this piece of code (Shell script Busybox)

I am looking for suggestions on how I could possibly optimized that piece of code where most of the time is spend on this script. In a nutshell this is a script that creates an xml file(s) based on certain criteria that will be used by a movie jukebox. Example of data: $SORTEDTMP= it is a... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: snappy46
16 Replies

6. War Stories

One time I fixed an LCD monitor with a folded piece of paper

Some of the colors weren't working on the Monitor. I found pressing around the plastic border of the screen brought them back. I opened the monitor casing and used the folded paper to put pressure against the LCD panel and housing. Wah Lah. More of a bend than a hack I guess. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for guidance (comments) on a piece of code

Hello -- I am trying to learn to do a little sed and awk scripting to search for text and numbers in text files (text processing/manipulation). My professor gave me a piece of uncommented code and I am very unfamiliar w/ the language. Can someone help me with comments so I can understand what is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smithan05
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time:Piece

Hi I am trying to find out difference between two dates with Time:Piece. I am able to get the days difference, but I want the Days as wells as hours, mins and sec difference. Below is my code for both, but the later is now working. Can anyone help me out. With only days use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sauravrout
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a piece of shell scripting to remove column from a csv file

Hi, I need to remove first column from a csv file and i can do this by using below command. cut -f1 -d, --complement Mytest.csv I need to implement this in shell scripting, Whenever i am using the above command alone in command line it is working fine. I have 5 files in my directory and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samah
3 Replies
GETDENTS(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       GETDENTS(2)

NAME
getdents - get directory entries SYNOPSIS
int getdents(unsigned int fd, struct linux_dirent *dirp, unsigned int count); Note: There is no glibc wrapper for this system call; see NOTES. DESCRIPTION
This is not the function you are interested in. Look at readdir(3) for the POSIX conforming C library interface. This page documents the bare kernel system call interface. The system call getdents() reads several linux_dirent structures from the directory referred to by the open file descriptor fd into the buffer pointed to by dirp. The argument count specifies the size of that buffer. The linux_dirent structure is declared as follows: struct linux_dirent { unsigned long d_ino; /* Inode number */ unsigned long d_off; /* Offset to next linux_dirent */ unsigned short d_reclen; /* Length of this linux_dirent */ char d_name[]; /* Filename (null-terminated) */ /* length is actually (d_reclen - 2 - offsetof(struct linux_dirent, d_name)) */ /* char pad; // Zero padding byte char d_type; // File type (only since Linux // 2.6.4); offset is (d_reclen - 1) */ } d_ino is an inode number. d_off is the distance from the start of the directory to the start of the next linux_dirent. d_reclen is the size of this entire linux_dirent. d_name is a null-terminated filename. d_type is a byte at the end of the structure that indicates the file type. It contains one of the following values (defined in <dirent.h>): DT_BLK This is a block device. DT_CHR This is a character device. DT_DIR This is a directory. DT_FIFO This is a named pipe (FIFO). DT_LNK This is a symbolic link. DT_REG This is a regular file. DT_SOCK This is a UNIX domain socket. DT_UNKNOWN The file type is unknown. The d_type field is implemented since Linux 2.6.4. It occupies a space that was previously a zero-filled padding byte in the linux_dirent structure. Thus, on kernels before 2.6.3, attempting to access this field always provides the value 0 (DT_UNKNOWN). Currently, only some file systems (among them: Btrfs, ext2, ext3, and ext4) have full support for returning the file type in d_type. All applications must properly handle a return of DT_UNKNOWN. RETURN VALUE
On success, the number of bytes read is returned. On end of directory, 0 is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appro- priately. ERRORS
EBADF Invalid file descriptor fd. EFAULT Argument points outside the calling process's address space. EINVAL Result buffer is too small. ENOENT No such directory. ENOTDIR File descriptor does not refer to a directory. CONFORMING TO
SVr4. NOTES
Glibc does not provide a wrapper for this system call; call it using syscall(2). You will need to define the linux_dirent structure your- self. However, you probably want to use readdir(3) instead. This call supersedes readdir(2). The original Linux getdents() system call did not handle large file systems and large file offsets. Consequently, Linux 2.4 added get- dents64(), with wider types for the d_ino and d_off fields employed in the linux_dirent structure. EXAMPLE
The program below demonstrates the use of getdents(). The following output shows an example of what we see when running this program on an ext2 directory: $ ./a.out /testfs/ --------------- nread=120 --------------- i-node# file type d_reclen d_off d_name 2 directory 16 12 . 2 directory 16 24 .. 11 directory 24 44 lost+found 12 regular 16 56 a 228929 directory 16 68 sub 16353 directory 16 80 sub2 130817 directory 16 4096 sub3 Program source #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <dirent.h> /* Defines DT_* constants */ #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/syscall.h> #define handle_error(msg) do { perror(msg); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } while (0) struct linux_dirent { long d_ino; off_t d_off; unsigned short d_reclen; char d_name[]; }; #define BUF_SIZE 1024 int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int fd, nread; char buf[BUF_SIZE]; struct linux_dirent *d; int bpos; char d_type; fd = open(argc > 1 ? argv[1] : ".", O_RDONLY | O_DIRECTORY); if (fd == -1) handle_error("open"); for ( ; ; ) { nread = syscall(SYS_getdents, fd, buf, BUF_SIZE); if (nread == -1) handle_error("getdents"); if (nread == 0) break; printf("--------------- nread=%d --------------- ", nread); printf("i-node# file type d_reclen d_off d_name "); for (bpos = 0; bpos < nread;) { d = (struct linux_dirent *) (buf + bpos); printf("%8ld ", d->d_ino); d_type = *(buf + bpos + d->d_reclen - 1); printf("%-10s ", (d_type == DT_REG) ? "regular" : (d_type == DT_DIR) ? "directory" : (d_type == DT_FIFO) ? "FIFO" : (d_type == DT_SOCK) ? "socket" : (d_type == DT_LNK) ? "symlink" : (d_type == DT_BLK) ? "block dev" : (d_type == DT_CHR) ? "char dev" : "???"); printf("%4d %10lld %s ", d->d_reclen, (long long) d->d_off, d->d_name); bpos += d->d_reclen; } } exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
readdir(2), readdir(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-08-03 GETDENTS(2)