Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nawk is truncating output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting nawk is truncating output Post 302714973 by alister on Saturday 13th of October 2012 10:53:52 AM
Old 10-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
You should also note that the value of SUBSEP varies in different implementations of awk (and I don't remember what value nawk uses). Some systems (for example OS X) default SUBSEP to an empty string.
That's incorrect. From opensource.apple.com :: awk-18 :: tran.c (OS X 10.8.2):
Code:
char	**SUBSEP;	/* subscript separator for a[i,j,k]; default \034 */
SUBSEP = &setsymtab("SUBSEP", "\034", 0.0, STR|DONTFREE, symtab)->sval;

That code is also present in opensource.apple.com :: awk-1.2 :: tran.c (10.0), so it's not a recent change.

Any implementor who chooses an empty string for the value of SUBSEP should be shunned by the AWK community Smilie. Seriously, though, the chance for collisions would be too great.

OS X's awk is nawk (which is also used by the BSD systems). "\034" is also the value of SUBSEP in the mawk, GNU awk, and busybox awk implementations.

In light of this, fiddling with SUBSEP is usually unnecessary.

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 10-13-2012 at 12:02 PM..
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning nawk output to variables

I do a lot of command line scripting to capture data from files or other command output. I've checked in a number of Unix and scripting books but for the life of me I can't find out how to asign field data from nawk output into variables that I can manipulate later. For example, reading a two... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveje0711
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning nawk output to shell variable

Hello friends, I doing the follwing script , but found problem to store it to a shell variable. #! /bin/sh for temp in `find ./dat/vector/ -name '*.file'` do echo $temp nawk -v temp=$temp 'BEGIN{ split(temp, a,"\/"); print a}' done output: ./dat/vector/drf_all_002.file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncating a variable

I have a variable that is a full path name and I just want the file name with out the extension. I have figured out how to do this using some temp files but I would really like to avoid that if possible. I know I can do echo ${TMPNAME%.*} to drop the extension is there a similar way to drop... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whdr02
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me how to use nawk for required output

Hi all i have 2 input files 1st file is N1 | N2|N3|N4|N5|N6|N7|N8|N9 4041491000|245160|1|0|0|1|0|0|0 4041401505|152178|1|1|1|1|0|0|0 4041450004|014052|1|1|1|1|0|0|0 4041450005|580916|1|1|1|1|0|0|0 4041491000|230990|1|0|1|1|0|0|0 4041460001|338317|1|1|1|1|0|0|0 2nd file N1 |... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodasajan
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK conversion of hexadecimal input to decimal output via printf, I am close I can feel it

I have searched and the answers I have found thus far have led me to this point, so I feel I am just about there. I am trying to convert a column of hexadecimal to decimal values so that I can filter out via grep just the data I want. I was able to pull my original 3 character hex value and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PCGameGuy
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print and append output of nawk script in commandline and as well into a file?

Hi All, I am working on nawk script, has the small function which prints the output on the screen.Am trying to print/append the same output in a file. Basically nawk script should print the output on the console/screen and as well it should write/append the same result to a file. script :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Problem - nawk out of space in tostring on

Hi.. i am running nawk scripts on solaris system to get records of file1 not in file2 and find duplicate records in a while with the following scripts -compare nawk 'NR==FNR{a++;next;} !a {print"line"FNR $0}' file1 file2duplicate - nawk '{a++}END{for(i in a){if(a-1)print i,a}}' file1in the middle... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhiraj Singh
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk command to output in var

Hi I have this command, which counts number of lines in a specific file and then prints it on screen.nawk 'NF{c++}END{print "Number of GPS coordinates in file: "c}' $filename I would like to have the output put into a variable, but can't seem to find the correct argument for it. How do I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bulleteyedk
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk truncating first field output?

Hello, I'm writing an Awk script to take a command line argument (student's name) and output their relevant student#, name, and marks. For some reason, awk arbitrarily removes the first digit from the student number and doesn't show me the proper output. Here is my code: #! /usr/bin/awk -f... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trashmouth12
6 Replies

10. Solaris

How to avoid truncating in ps output ?

Hello, This is Solaris 10 (x86) bash-3.2# cat /etc/release Solaris 10 5/09 s10x_u7wos_08 X86 Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to license terms. Assembled 30 March... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)