Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String concatenation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String concatenation Post 302714901 by nareshkumar522 on Saturday 13th of October 2012 05:02:51 AM
Old 10-13-2012
No Its not homework.I have the single file where I splitted into two files.For simplification I have given the above one.

Code:
cat tmp.txt
/sad/a
/sda/b
/sda/c
/sda/d
/sdb/l
/sdb/j
/sdb/k
/sdb/m

I need the output as below as single file.

/sad/a:/sdb/l
/sda/b:/sdb/j
/sda/c:/sdb/k
/sda/d:/sdb/m

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string concatenation

my input file contains thousands of lines like below 234A dept of education 9788 dept of commerce 8677 dept of engineering How do i add a delimeter ':' after FIRST 4 CHARACTERS in a line 234A:dept of education 9788:dept of commerce 8677:dept of engineering (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemsb
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help concatenation string and variable

Hello, in my script i have this lines of code in a while cycle: .. let j=i+1 t_prod_$i = `cat myfile.csv | grep world | cut -d ";" -f$j` let i+=1 ... So if i try an echo $t_prod_$i at the end of the cycle i cannot see the right value obtained by `cat myfile.csv | grep world |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drain
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

String concatenation with spaces

Hi, I have a variable $ID=40 and I need to build a string like 40 40 40 40 40 40 so repeating ID 'n' times separated by spaces. Any help? Thanks Sarah (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Concatenation

Hi All, I need to concatenate the values in the array into a variable. Currently the code is : for (( i=1 ; i <= $minCount ; i++ )) do var="${var}""${sample_file}" done The output is : /tmp/1/tmp/2/tmp/3/tmp/4/tmp/5/tmp/6/tmp/7/tmp/8/tmp/9/tmp/10 I need a space between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sh_kk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String/Variable Concatenation

Hello, Trying to concatenate the following using bourne shell: # !/bin/bash # this works in bash shell e.g. get the results I am expecting fnTmp=C$cindex.$station_0.$station_1.$station_3.$ts.tmp # # under !/bin/sh # the results are not the same Any assistance would be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String concatenation problems

#! /bin/csh set tt=12345_UMR_BH452_3_2.txt set rr=`echo $tt | cut -d_ -f1` set rr1=welcome set ff=$rr $rr1 echo $ff why $ff returned only 12345 and not 12345welcome? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String / Variable Concatenation

Hi all, I'm trying to build a variable name automatically through a for loop for a script I'm working on, basically I want to build the variables named: $JVM_HOME0 or $JVM_HOME1 so that I can loop through some file copy/deletes and a server restart once completed. With the code below, I get this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hydroponx
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String concatenation problem

Hi there, I'm writing a basic script where I want to make a string of 2 numeric fields from a file, which I have done, but the behavior is rather confusing. I have a file of random values such as: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 and my awk code is: BEGIN { FS = " " } { str = str $1 $2 } END {... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HMChadwick
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Group by and string concatenation

Hi, I was trying to work on a file which had the following data format 1 hi 1 this 1 is 1 john 2 hello 3 test 3 case the expected output file is the below 1 hi, this, is, john 2 hello 3 test, case I tried using awk or while read, but I couldnt... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikbhuvana
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with String concatenation

I have a script which is migrated from AIX to Linux & now while running it is no able to concatenate string values The string concatenation step under while loop is not displaying desired result Please find below the piece of code: while read EXT_FILE ; do EXT_FILE=$EXT_FILE.ext.sent echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
7 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat, read, nobs - catenate files SYNOPSIS
cat [ file ... ] read [ -m ] [ -n nline ] [ file ... ] nobs [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus cat file prints a file and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no file is given, cat reads from the standard input. Output is buffered in blocks matching the input. Read copies to standard output exactly one line from the named file, default standard input. It is useful in interactive rc(1) scripts. The -m flag causes it to continue reading and writing multiple lines until end of file; -n causes it to read no more than nline lines. Read always executes a single write for each line of input, which can be helpful when preparing input to programs that expect line-at-a- time data. It never reads any more data from the input than it prints to the output. Nobs copies the named files to standard output except that it removes all backspace characters and the characters that precede them. It is useful to use as $PAGER with the Unix version of man(1) when run inside a win (see acme(1)) window. SOURCE
/src/cmd/cat.c /src/cmd/read.c /bin/nobs SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Read exits with status eof on end of file or, in the -n case, if it doesn't read nlines lines. BUGS
Beware of and which destroy input files before reading them. CAT(1)