Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting lines before and until next pattern in file /awk, sed Post 302714807 by Yoda on Friday 12th of October 2012 05:37:59 PM
Old 10-12-2012
Can't you simply run below command and get rid of lines starting with IP and ending with *:-

Code:
cat input | egrep -v "^IP|\*$"

This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk/sed/grep lines which contains a pattern at a given position

Dear friends I am new to linux and was trying to split some files userwise in our linux server. I have a data file of 156 continuous columns named ecscr final. I want the script to redirect all the lines containing a pattern of 7 digits to separate files. I was using grep to do that,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anoopvraj
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk to insert multiple lines before pattern

I'm attempting to insert multiple lines before a line matching a given search pattern. These lines are generated in a separate function and can either be piped in as stdout or read from a temporary file. I've been able to insert the lines from a file after the pattern using: sed -i '/pattern/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zksailor534
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk : how to delete lines based on IP pattern ?

Hi, I would like to delete lines in /etc/hosts on few workstations, basically I want to delete all the lines for a list of machines like this : for HOST in $(cat stations.lst |uniq) do # echo -n "$HOST" if ping -c 1 $HOST > /dev/null 2>&1 then HOSTNAME_val=`rsh $HOST "sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: albator1932
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the lines between the pattern using awk/grep/sed?

Hi, I need a help to search a pattern and print the multiple lines between them. Input file: Tue May 29 12:30:33 EDT 2012:threadWebContainer : 357:com.travimp.hotelierlinks.abba.service.RequestHandler.requestService(String, ITICSDataSet): hotelCancelReservation request: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk/perl command to replace pattern in multiple lines

Hi I know sed and awk has options to give range of line numbers, but I need to replace pattern in specific lines Something like sed -e '1s,14s,26s/pattern/new pattern/' file name Can somebody help me in this.... I am fine with see/awk/perl Thank you in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani777
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk or sed to find a pattern that has lines before and after it

Dear gurus, Please help this beginner to write and understand the required script. I am looking for useing awk for sed. I have a few thousand lines file whose contain are mostly as below and I am trying to achieve followings. 1. Find a string, say user1. Then hash the line containing the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran_bon_78
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed/awk join lines once pattern found

Hi all OS - RHEL6.4 I have input file -f1.txt I need to search line which starts with \Start and read next line till it gets blank line and join them all. I need to trim any trailing spaces for each line.So output.txt should be.. \Start\now\fine stepwatch this space for toolsends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)