Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault Post 302714765 by DGPickett on Friday 12th of October 2012 03:05:21 PM
Old 10-12-2012
Watchdog scripts should move the core file before restarting. I like compressing it into a file with the date-time in another directory, perhaps /tmp so they get cleaned up if they get too large.

Beyond that, I like to scan for core on prod and dev boxes, ls -l it, copy it to /tmp/core.YYYY-MMDD-HHMMSS so it is not overwritten, automatically locate the main code using 'file' and common PATHs, run gdb for a stack trace (where), sending an email to the group with as much info as I could get, so they know one side effect of their activities is this core dump, which might be missed otherwise. Then I compress it in the background and sleep a second to ensure unique naming. A marker file keeps track of my last scan time, so I do not pick up the same files over and over.

But then, I am more into diagnosis by post mortem than running in debug mode. I am not sure what the environment has to do the the SEGV, that is usually a programmer with too much trust of his inputs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Hi! segmentation fault

I have written a program which takes a directory as command line arguments and displays all the dir and files in it. I don't know why I have a problem with the /etc directory.It displays all the directories and files untill it reaches a sub directory called peers which is in /etc/ppp/peers.the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
4 Replies

2. AIX

Segmentation fault

Hi , During execution a backup binary i get following error "Program error 11 (Segmentation fault), saving core file in '/usr/datatools" Riyaz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rshaikh
2 Replies

3. Linux

Segmentation fault

Hi, on a linux Red HAT(with Oracle DB 9.2.0.7) I have following error : RMAN> delete obsolete; RMAN retention policy will be applied to the command RMAN retention policy is set to redundancy 2 using channel ORA_DISK_1 Segmentation fault What does it mean ? And the solution ? Many thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies

4. Programming

segmentation fault

What is segmentation fault(core dumped) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokult
1 Replies

5. Programming

Segmentation fault.

I'm getting a segmentation fault. I'm new to Linux programming. Thanks so much for all of your input.:eek: #include </usr/include/mysql++/mysql++.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <sstream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int outputToImport(const char*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

6. Programming

segmentation fault.

This code is causing a segmentation fault and I can't figure out why. I'm new to UNIX and I need to learn how to avoid this segmentation fault thing. Thank you so much. Thanks also for the great answers to my last post.:):b: int main() { mysqlpp::Connection conn(false); if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepoto
3 Replies

7. Programming

Segmentation fault gdb

Hello everyone, I am using the debugger from C++ and these are the message I got: Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x0040cc0e in malloc_consolidate (av=0x4ff3c0) at malloc.c:5169 in malloc.c I don't know if the problem is cause i'm trying to acess an invalid memory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: juliecf5
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Segmentation Fault

this is a network programming code to run a rock paper scissors in a client and server. I completed it and it was working without any error. After I added the findWinner function to the server code it starts giving me segmentation fault. -the segmentation fault is fixed Current problem -Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using gdb to detect segmentation fault in sh?

I am using scientific linux. In the directory user/project/Build, after I ran 'make' to compile and link all the cpp files,I had no problems. But then, when I went to directory user/run/run.sh, which runs the project binary in user/project/Build/bin/project, I get a segmentation fault error. In... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larry burns
1 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
jstack(1)						      General Commands Manual							 jstack(1)

NAME
jstack - stack trace SYNOPSIS
jstack [ option ] pid jstack [ option ] executable core jstack [ option ] [server-id@]remote-hostname-or-IP DESCRIPTION
jstack prints Java stack traces of Java threads for a given Java process or core file or a remote debug server. For each Java frame, the full class name, method name, 'bci' (byte code index) and line number, if available, are printed. With the -m option, jstack prints both Java and native frames of all threads along with the 'pc' (program counter). For each native frame, the closest native symbol to 'pc', if available, is printed. C++ mangled names are not demangled. To demangle C++ names, the output of this command may be piped to c++filt. NOTE - This utility is unsupported and may or may not be available in future versions of the J2SE SDK. jstack is not currently available on Windows platforms or on the Linux Itanium platform. PARAMETERS
Options are mutually exclusive. Option, if used, should follow immediately after the command name. pid process id for which the stacktrace is to be printed. The process must be a Java process. To get a list of Java processes running on a machine, jps may be used. executable Java executable from which the core dump was produced. core core file for which the stack trace is to be printed. remote-hostname-or-IP remote debug server's (see jsadebugd) hostname or IP address. server-id optional unique id, if multiple debug servers are running on the same remote host. OPTIONS
-m prints mixed mode (both Java and native C/C++ frames) stack trace. -h Prints a help message. -help Prints a help message. SEE ALSO
pstack(1) c++filt(1) jps(1) jsadebugd(1) KNOWN BUGS
Mixed mode stack trace, the -m option, does not work with the remote debug server. 13 June 2004 jstack(1)