Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help understanding regex with grep & sed Post 302714695 by trogdortheburni on Friday 12th of October 2012 12:43:32 PM
Old 10-12-2012
help understanding regex with grep & sed

I have the following line of code that works wonders. I just don't completely understand it as I am just starting to learn regex. Can you help me understand exactly what is happening here?

Code:
find .  -type f | grep -v '^\.$' | sed 's!\.\/!!'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep & sed question

I'm trying to write a bash script to perform a tedious task, but I have no experience and hardly any knowledge so I've been having a rough time with it. I'm on Mac OS X, and I want a script to do the following: I have a directory that has about 200 sudirectories. In each of these directories,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: der Kopf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, awk, regex -- extracting a matched substring from a file/string

Ok, I'm stumped and can't seem to find relevant info. (I'm not even sure, I might have asked something similar before.): I'm trying to use shell scripting/UNIX commands to extract URLs from a fairly large web page, with a view to ultimately wrapping this in PHP with exec() and including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex & grep-foo

I need a way to grep -v a list of times/date from the output of postqueue -p that are a few hours old, in order to remove them with postsuper -d. Right now I have a script that is deleting the previous day of messages left in the queue, which runs once each day. I want to clean up the job and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DoneWithM$
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed with grep & sed

On one of my servers, it appears that a bunch of html files got the following code added to it... I was going to try to remove this line using grep & sed... as sample grep -lr -e 'apples' *.html | xargs sed -i 's/apples/oranges/g' I can get the grep portion to work... grep "<script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: djlane
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding a regex

Hi, Please help me to understand the bold segments in the below regex. Both are of same type whose meaning I am looking for. find . \( -iregex './\{6,10\}./src' \) -type d -maxdepth 2 Output: ./20111210.0/src In continuation to above: sed -e 's|./\(*.\{1,3\}\).*|\1|g' Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

applescript & grep - sed command

I'm new using Unix commands in applescript. The following script you choose different folders with PDfs, get file count of PDfs on chosen folders, & write the results in text file. set target_folder to choose folder with prompt "Choose target folders containing only PDFs to count files" with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nellbern
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep & sed - Output

Hi All, Facing an issue with grep & sed I have logs as below: gsc_1_20121121.log:2012-11-21 10:09:13,143 INFO - fmsspace.1 ProcessNewOrderSingleRequest: Result - ProcessNewOrderSingleBatchResultDTO - success:true,newOrderSingleBatchResults:ProcessNewOrderSingleResultDTO -... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: irfanmemon
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding regex behaviour when using quantifiers

# echo "Teest string" | sed 's/e*/=>replaced=</' =>replaced<=Teest string So, in the above code , sed replaces at the start. does that mean sed using the pattern e* settles to zero occurence ? Why sed was not able to replace Teest string. # echo "Teest string" | sed 's/e*//g' Tst string ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Quick help on Understanding sed Regex

Hi Guys, Could you please kindly explain what exactly the below SED command will do ? I am quite confused and i assumed that, sed 's/*$/ /' 1. It will remove tab and extra spaces .. with single space. The issue is if it is removing tab then it should be Î right .. please assist.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help understanding this Regex.

Hi everyone, This regex looks simple and yet it doesn't make sense how it's manipulating the output. ifconfig -a eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0c:49:c2:35:6v inet addr:192.16.1.1 Bcast:192.168.226.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcod3r
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)