Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to get spare disks working Post 302714403 by gull04 on Friday 12th of October 2012 06:42:43 AM
Old 10-12-2012
Hi,

You will have to set the disk as the hot spare for the disk group like;

Code:
vxedit -g "group_name" set spare=on "disk"

I can't remember if you have to add the disk to the group, but if you do you'll have to use the following;

Code:
vxdg -g "group" adddisk "disk"="device"

Regards

Dave

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vfstab on spare disk - HOW ? Mount ?

Hi, guys ! Could someone clarify one thing for me: I start machine from disk0, and want to check the /etc/vfstab on disk1. How do i do it ? Tried to write: cd / mount /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 /mnt But if I do cd /mnt, it is empty. I expected to see disk1 there ? Or am I wrong ? How do I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

SCSI disk spare sectors

Is there a way to determine the number of available spare sectors on a disk ? as it may be useful for notifying a user to take a backup of the disk before it runs into a medium error. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rednex
6 Replies

3. SuSE

SLES11 - RAID6 all disks marked as Spare

Hello, After a replacement of the motherboard of my server, all disks belonging to a raid6 are now marked as spare. Is there any way to mark those disks as active and restore the raid6? $ cat /proc/mdstat Personalities : md1 : inactive sda1(S) sdk1(S) sdj1(S) sdi1(S) sdh1(S)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavix
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy failing disk to Spare

Hi Guys, I have a failing 4gb (c0t5d0) drive that contains lvol4 -8 on hp-ux. It's not the boot disk but is part of VG00 volume group. Within that group, I have a disk (c0t4d0) of the same size that has 1 lvol on it for swap(4gb) I also have a seperate 1.5 gb swap volume on another physical disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rees_a
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Hot Spare pool

One more query in SVM :) Now with hot spare spool... I can understand adding/replacing a slice in particular hot spare pool with "-a / -r" option (or) adding a slice to all existing hot spare pool with "-all" option. Here my query is for deleting, we have only option "-d". 1) If the hot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Hot Spare replacement

Hi Guys, Can Someone pls let me know the thorough process for Hot spare replacement as current Hot spare slice has broken down . :mad: Thanks ---------- Post updated at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:21 PM ---------- Update : Its a solaris 10 box (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Solarister
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Can v240 disks be moved to v440 and have a chance of working?

We have a v240 running Solaris 10, and an application that I don't want to go through the pain of reinstalling on a new system right now. Can I just move those disks to a v440 for an easy upgrade? At first I thought the idea was laughable, but then I started thinking that they are both Ultra... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyle
9 Replies

8. Programming

C- trying to code a 'spare array'; 'enum' fauled.

I am trying to implement a spare array in C that would be referenced by regular integers. Right away: define array for maximum possible index elements completely is not what I trying to get!!! It should be a construction that would have just 2 elements if I need to have just two indexes, like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun Fire 480 - devfsadm -C not working after replacing one of the boot disks

Our SunFire 480 - one of the boot disks failed. It is mirrored with VxVm. I followed the exact steps that is detailed in the veritas and sun guides (I can not post the URL since I don't have 5 posts yet.) After removing the failed disk, I ran devfsadm -C -c disk and it still shows the device... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
7 Replies

10. Solaris

How to determine if i have spare disks in Solaris?

Hi Guys, obviously new to SOLARIS SUN SPARC 5.10 I would really appreciate if you help me see how to find free disks available in my system. Like i am a linux admin. If i want to grow a file system in linux. I would first have a look at my volume groups to see if they have free PEs if not then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aiqbal
2 Replies
vxpfto(1M)																vxpfto(1M)

NAME
vxpfto - set Powerfail Timeout (pfto) SYNOPSIS
vxpfto -g diskgroup -t timeout vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -t timeout volume_list vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} volume_list DESCRIPTION
Powerfail Timeout is an attribute of a SCSI disk connected to an HP-UX host (see the pfto(7) man page). The vxpfto command sets the Power- fail Timeout interval on a set of Volume Manager disks, either all disks in a disk group, or all disks underlying the volumes listed. The first form of the command sets the same PFTO value for all the disks in the specified VxVM diskgroup. In the second form, all disks underlying the given list of volumes are selected, optionally restricted by the disk group specified with the -g option. If you specify a diskgroup, any volume in the list not belonging to the diskgroup is ignored. Use the -o pftostate option to disable or enable PFTO. By default, PFTO is enabled. You can enable PFTO either on all disks in a disk group, or on all disks underlying the volumes listed. If you invoke vxpfto without arguments, it displays a usage message. OPTIONS
-g diskgroup Specifies the disk group for the operation, either by disk group ID or by disk group name. -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} Enables or disables the use of PFTO for IO. -t timeout Specifies the PFTO value in seconds. The value must be zero or a positive integer. Zero represents the system default PFTO value. The default value depends on the disk driver controlling the disk device. volume_list A list of VxVM volume names. List items must be separated by white-space. EXIT CODES
vxpfto returns a zero if successful. If it encounters an error, vxpfto exits and displays a message on standard error. Defined exit codes are: 0 Success. 1 No PFTO value specified. 2 No diskgroup or volume list specified. 3 Illegal PFTO value specified. EXAMPLES
Set the PFTO value on all disks in disk group testdg to 100 seconds: vxpfto -t 100 -g testdg Set the PFTO value to 50 seconds on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02 in disk group testdg: vxpfto -t 50 -g testdg volume01 volume02 Set the PFTO value to 300 seconds on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02, even though they are not in the same disk group: vxpfto -t 300 volume01 volume02 Disable PFTO on all disks in disk group testdg: vxpfto -g testdg -o pftostate=disabled Enable PFTO on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02i in disk group testdg: vxpfto -g testdg -o pftostate=enabled volume01 volume02 SEE ALSO
vxdisk(1M), pfto(7) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxpfto(1M)