Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tape tar error
Operating Systems Solaris tape tar error Post 302714323 by bakunin on Friday 12th of October 2012 04:00:30 AM
Old 10-12-2012
Yes, "EOT" is "End of Tape". Rewind the tape to clear that condition.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar to tape and back

Howdy, I'm trying to tar some directories to tape and then extract them from tape on another machine. I was hoping someone could help me with the syntax of the tar commands. Both machines are running Solaris 8. Need to get all files and directories under the following: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmetal
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to remote tape

I tried to buckup some oracle archive logs (from a solaris machine) to a remote tape (in a HP-UX machine). I added the solaris machine name and user to .rhosts, and i tried to use this commande : tar cvf HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn /u01/* The probleme that it gives: HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn : No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lasgaa
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar: tape blocksize error

When trying to extract a tar file in HP-UX using tar -xvf command it exits with the following error :"Tar: tape blocksize error". Tar file is created using the following command with MKS toolkit(Unix Simulation Kit for Windows env) under Windows 2000 Professional: "$tar -cvf test.tar test.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkumar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

dump and tar backup in one tape

Hi all! I'm new in this forum. I need to ask a few question. I would like to know if it is possible to use dump and tar command for backup in one tape. If it is possible, how do I restore it back? Fyi, I'm using the Digital Unix 4.0E OSF/1 box. (old box) :-) Thank you. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apokobondo
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Error tar'ing files to tape

I'm trying to tar a bunch of files off to a tape, but for one specific file (it is fairly large, roughly 10Gb) I get the error: too large to archive Does tar have a limit of the size of file it can write off to tape? I'm using SunOS 5.8. Thanks! -Fred (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: tape blocksize error

Hi, I have tar: tape blocksize error when launching # gunzip < TierDB.tar.gz |tar -xvf /data/ora/DREC tar: tape blocksize error Can you please help me ? It is urgent. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing tar file to tape

Hi Guy`s I`m a newbie to Unix and I`m starting to love it I got stuck donig backups of tar files to tape I use this to find all tar files find . -name '*.tar.*' > output in output there would be n of file eg. 6 the size output is 156 but tar files are: 9.3M Jul 18 09:48... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donovan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and vdump on same tape?

Hello, This might be a dumb question, but I havent been able to find the answer anywhere. I currently have a backup script that uses 'tar' to backup some files to tape. I need to add a directory to the backup script, but I want to use 'vdump' to back it up to tape. So my question is can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to tape drive command

I want to use this command to tar to tape: tar cf - DIR | compress > `hostname`_`date +%m-%d-%y`.DIR.tar.Z this of course goes to the FS. How do I modify this to go directly to tape? My tape device is /dev/rmt/0 thanks. Having so many posts you should be familiar using code tags.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
7 Replies
DUMP(1M)																  DUMP(1M)

NAME
dump - incremental file system dump SYNOPSIS
dump [ key [ argument ... ] filesystem ] DESCRIPTION
Dump copies to magnetic tape all files changed after a certain date in the filesystem. The key specifies the date and other options about the dump. Key consists of characters from the set 0123456789fusd. f Place the dump on the next argument file instead of the tape. u If the dump completes successfully, write the date of the beginning of the dump on file `/etc/ddate'. This file records a separate date for each filesystem and each dump level. 0-9 This number is the `dump level'. All files modified since the last date stored in the file `/etc/ddate' for the same filesystem at lesser levels will be dumped. If no date is determined by the level, the beginning of time is assumed; thus the option 0 causes the entire filesystem to be dumped. s The size of the dump tape is specified in feet. The number of feet is taken from the next argument. When the specified size is reached, the dump will wait for reels to be changed. The default size is 2300 feet. d The density of the tape, expressed in BPI, is taken from the next argument. This is used in calculating the amount of tape used per write. The default is 1600. If no arguments are given, the key is assumed to be 9u and a default file system is dumped to the default tape. Now a short suggestion on how perform dumps. Start with a full level 0 dump dump 0u Next, periodic level 9 dumps should be made on an exponential progression of tapes. (Sometimes called Tower of Hanoi - 1 2 1 3 1 2 1 4 ... tape 1 used every other time, tape 2 used every fourth, tape 3 used every eighth, etc.) dump 9u When the level 9 incremental approaches a full tape (about 78000 blocks at 1600 BPI blocked 20), a level 1 dump should be made. dump 1u After this, the exponential series should progress as uninterrupted. These level 9 dumps are based on the level 1 dump which is based on the level 0 full dump. This progression of levels of dump can be carried as far as desired. FILES
default filesystem and tape vary with installation. /etc/ddate: record dump dates of filesystem/level. SEE ALSO
restor(1), dump(5), dumpdir(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If the dump requires more than one tape, it will ask you to change tapes. Reply with a new-line when this has been done. BUGS
Sizes are based on 1600 BPI blocked tape. The raw magtape device has to be used to approach these densities. Read errors on the filesys- tem are ignored. Write errors on the magtape are usually fatal. DUMP(1M)