Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Java and Javac problems
Operating Systems Solaris Java and Javac problems Post 302714129 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 11th of October 2012 08:39:30 PM
Old 10-11-2012
javac is NOT in your path so use
Code:
root@solaris:/usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.7.0/bin# ./javac HelloWorld.java

Place in your login directory [ .profile ] or in /etc/profile if all users need javac:
Code:
#below any PATH defining statements
PATH=${PATH}:/usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.7.0/bin
export PATH

I wrote the export on another line deliberately. This is Solaris so we use Borune syntax in case this is placed in /etc/profile

Comment:
Under no circumstances should you be running around on the system as the root user. It is dangerous, plus you seem to be new with what you are doing. Two reasons to create an unprivileged user and play with that.

You do have really frequent backups, right? An you enjoy re-installing your system?
Both will be needed if you keep on "root"-ing around.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

piping with javac command

how to i use javac on a file after searching for it? example: find . -name '*.java' -size -24 -links -2 -atime -4 what would happen if "find" found >1 .java files? also, i'm a little confused on the -size property... mix up between -2 and +2... what's the difference? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quipy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Java Problems

Hello, When i attempt to install Java. I get this error code Can someone tell me what im doing wrong. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fob Upset
2 Replies

3. Programming

set javac classpath

I have several jar files in a specific folder, but I can't get javac to understand it. How do I set the classpath for javac. It is NOT the same classpath as the java command. And it's not enough with one jar file. I have several. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)