Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting counting lines that match pattern Post 302714119 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 11th of October 2012 08:28:17 PM
Old 10-11-2012
You have explained the data, but not explained what your expected output will be.
What pattern? ... for example

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting files in a directory that match a pattern

I have 20 files in a direcotry like BARE01_DLY_MKT_YYYYMMDD. The MKT differes for all these files but the remaining syntax remains the same for a particular day. If I am checking for today I need to make sure that there are 20 files that start with BARE01_DLY_MKT_20060720. How can I write a... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
31 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete lines do NOT match a pattern

On Unix, it is easy to get those lines that match a pattern, by grep pattern file or those lines that do not, by grep -v pattern file but I am editing a file on Windows with Ultraedit. Ultraedit support regular expression based search and replace. I can delete all the lines that match a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JumboGeng
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match a pattern and copy above two lines

Dear experts, i want to search pattern tre and copy this line and above two lines in a seperate file:: Thanks for the help SEV="MAJOR": RX-TX HW-FAILURE DOMAIN="alcomc2_BSS_20 unit-type % bts nbr % 24 SBL-type % tre nbr % 4 subnb % 255 BR, Danish (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danish Shakil
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the lines matching a pattern, in between two pattern, and generate a tab

Hi all, I'm looking for some help. I have a file (very long) that is organized like below: >Cluster 0 0 283nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HMXZS... at +/99% 1 279nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HN12A... at +/99% 2 281nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HM4TS... at +/99% 3 283nt, >01_FRYJ6ZM12HM946... at +/99% 4 279nt,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: d.chauliac
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk counting lines with field match

Hi, Im trying to create a script that reads throught every line in a file and then counts how many lines there with a certain field that matches a input, and also ausing another awk it has to do the same as the above but to then use sort anduniq to get rid of all the unique lines with another... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredted40x
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines before and after pattern match

I am using Solaris, I want to print 3 lines before pattern match pattern 5 lines after pattern match Pattern is abcd to be searched in a.txt. Looking for the solution in sed/awk/perl. Thanks .. Input File a.txt: ================= 1 2 3 abcd 4 5 6 7 8 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manuswami
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one liner to search pattern and print everything expect 6 lines from where pattern match made

i need to search for a pattern from a big file and print everything expect the next 6 lines from where the pattern match was made. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join the lines until next pattern match

Hi, I have a data file where data is splitted into multiple lines. And, each valid record starts with a patten date | <?xml and ends with pattern </dmm> e.g. 20120924|<?xml record 1 line1....record 1 line1....record 1 line1.... record 1 line2....record 1 line2....record 1 line2.... record 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dipalik
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines that do not match the pattern

I need to print the lines that do not match a pattern. I tried using grep -v and sed -n '/pattern/!p', but both of them are not working as I am passing the pattern as variable and it can be null some times. Example ........ abcd...... .........abcd...... .........abcd......... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunny1234
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Pattern and print pattern and multiple lines into one line

Hello Experts , require help . See below output: File inputs ------------------------------------------ Server Host = mike id rl images allocated last updated density vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigerhills
4 Replies
GPIV_NSTRAIN(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   GPIV_NSTRAIN(1)

NAME
gpiv_nstrain - Calculates normal strain from PIV data. SYNOPSIS
gpiv_nstrain [-d N] [-h | --help] [-p | --print] [-g | --g] [--no_g ] [-v | --version] [filename] < stdin > stdout DESCRIPTION
gpiv_nstrain calculates the normal strain from PIV data. You can choose from several differential schemes: central differentiation, least squares, and Richardson extrapolation. The output can be generated as ASCII data containing four columns or as GNUPlot Data format that allows one to view/print the data as contour plots. The configuration parameters (containing the POST key) may be overruled by the command line options, as explained below. Options -d N Differential type to be used: central difference (N=0), least squares (N=1), Richardson interpolation (N=2), circulation method (N=3) -h | --help On-line help -p | --print Print parameters, command line options and eventually used input and output filenames to stdout. The output is identic of file- name.par, in case filename is used. -g Show contour plot of the output with gnuplot. --no_g Suppresses to show contour plot of the output with gnuplot. -v | --version Print version information on standard output, then exit successfully. filename Input PIV data file. Overrides stdin and stdout. The output will be written to filename.nstr. Parameters are stored in filename.par and may be used for future use by including them in ./gpivrc. SEE ALSO
gpivtools AUTHOR
Gerber Van der Graaf 8 November 2006 GPIV_NSTRAIN(1)