Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting zipping files then remove the folders Post 302713615 by pamu on Thursday 11th of October 2012 03:29:14 AM
Old 10-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by velava
Thanks for ur response!

I getting the below error message when i try to run the above,

rm: cannot remove 'Oct_bkp_files': Is a directory

When I run second time the already zipped folders should not get zipped again.

if [ -f *.* ]; - I am using this file exists checking if statement. how to enable this only for the current directory and not for its subdirectories?
If those are files it will work...

If those are directories then use
Code:
rm -rf

add this line to get only files

Code:
ls -lrt | awk '/^\-/ && ! /\.zip$/{print $6,$NF}'

Last edited by pamu; 10-11-2012 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: added

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy all files and folders and cjange or remove ownership

So tried: cp -r -p test1/ user@machine:///srv/www/vhosts/domain.co.uk/httpdocs/backup/ but this didn't work either :( Anyone able to help with this? Many thanks Mr M (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: misterm
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i remove files with extension in many folders

hello i have 2 question if i have 1 folder and under this folder many many sub folders and in every folders many files with man extension like *php * jpg * gif i need to remove all *php files 1- from tha main folder only 2- from tha main folder and all sub folders the second how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ateya
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipping files?

how would i zip a file? what does zip mean? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

how to remove inner files without removing child folders

Hi, I want to write a command to remove all the files from a folder and inner child folder without removing the child folders of parent folder. like I have folder like this... folder a/b/c file a/test.sql file a/b/test2.txt file a/b/c/temp.jpeg now I want to remove all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkashif
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove inner files without removing child folders

Hi, I want to write a command to remove all the files from a folder and inner child folder without removing the child folders of parent folder. like I have folder like this... Code: folder a/b/c file a/test.sql file a/b/test2.txt file a/b/c/temp.jpeg now I want to remove... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkashif
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some manipulations with files and folders. (loop, find, create and remove)

Hello! I need to realize such task. 1. In my user's home dir I have folder1; 2. In folder1 I have some (various count) subfolders with random names; 3. In these subfolders I have one file anyname.pdf (various name in each subfolder) and file content.txt (constant name in each subfolder) ##... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: optik77
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Help with Grouping and zipping folders

Hi can you please help with the below ? source file: Column1,Column2,Column3,Column4 abc,123,dir1/FXX/F19,1 abc,123,dir1/FXX/F20,1 abc,123,dir1/FXX/F23,2 abc,123,dir1/FXX/C25,2 abc,123,dir1/FXX/X25,2 abc,123,dir1/FXX/A23,3 abc,123,dir1/FXX/Z25,3 abc,123,dir1/FXX/Y25,4 I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paul1234
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and removing the old files and zipping the files using shell script

Hi, I am trying to removing the old files which were older than 10 days and same g zipping the files using the shell script. script was return as follows. find /jboss7_homes/JBOSS7/SKYLIV??/SKYLIV??_CRM/jboss-eap-7.0/standalone/log -mtime +10 -type f | xargs rm -f find /cer_skyliv??/log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
6 Replies
DH_COMPRESS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_COMPRESS(1)

NAME
dh_compress - compress files and fix symlinks in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_compress [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] [-A] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_compress is a debhelper program that is responsible for compressing the files in package build directories, and makes sure that any symlinks that pointed to the files before they were compressed are updated to point to the new files. By default, dh_compress compresses files that Debian policy mandates should be compressed, namely all files in usr/share/info, usr/share/man, files in usr/share/doc that are larger than 4k in size, (except the copyright file, .html and other web files, image files, and files that appear to be already compressed based on their extensions), and all changelog files. Plus PCF fonts underneath usr/share/fonts/X11/ FILES
debian/package.compress These files are deprecated. If this file exists, the default files are not compressed. Instead, the file is ran as a shell script, and all filenames that the shell script outputs will be compressed. The shell script will be run from inside the package build directory. Note though that using -X is a much better idea in general; you should only use a debian/package.compress file if you really need to. OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being compressed. For example, -X.tiff will exclude TIFF files from compression. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. -A, --all Compress all files specified by command line parameters in ALL packages acted on. file ... Add these files to the list of files to compress. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.0 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_COMPRESS(1)