Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find duplicate string in many different files Post 302713395 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 03:12:09 PM
Old 10-10-2012
What is your desired output and what have you tried so far? Why did it work with two files, but not with 100 files?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find duplicate files with find ?

hello all I like to make search on files , and the result need to be the files that are duplicated? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Duplicate files, not by name

I have a directory with images: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26216 Mar 19 21:00 020109.210001.jpg -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 21760 Mar 19 21:15 020109.211502.jpg -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 23144 Mar 19 21:30 020109.213002.jpg -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31350 Mar 20 00:45 020109.004501.jpg -rw-r--r-- 1 root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate files based on text string?

Hi I have been struggling with a script for removing duplicate messages from a shared mailbox. I would like to search for duplicate messages based on the “Message-ID” string within the messages files. I have managed to find the duplicate “Message-ID” strings and (if I would like) delete... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spangberg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate files

What utility do you recommend for simply finding all duplicate files among all files? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiasas
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate files by file size

Hi! I want to find duplicate files (criteria: file size) in my download folder. I try it like this: find /Users/frodo/Downloads \! -type d -exec du {} \; | sort > /Users/frodo/Desktop/duplicates_1.txt; cut -f 1 /Users/frodo/Desktop/duplicates_1.txt | uniq -d | grep -hif -... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk Einecke
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate files but with different extensions

Hi ! I wonder if anyone can help on this : I have a directory: /xyz that has the following files: chsLog.107.20130603.gz chsLog.115.20130603 chsLog.111.20130603.gz chsLog.107.20130603 chsLog.115.20130603.gz As you ca see there are two files that are the same but only with a minor... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate rows between files

Hi champs, I have one of the requirement, where I need to compare two files line by line and ignore duplicates. Note, I hav files in sorted order. I have tried using the comm command, but its not working for my scenario. Input file1 srv1..development..employee..empname,empid,empdesg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Selva_2507
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find help in shell - that clears away duplicate files

I am so frustrated!!! I want a nice command that clears away duplicate files: find . -type f -regex '.*{1,3}\..*' | xargs -I## rm -v '##' should work in my opinion. But it finds nothing even though I have files that have the file name: Scooby-Doo-1.txt Himalaya-2.jpg Camping... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Glaurung
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Find Duplicate files using latest in Linux

I have tried the following code and with that i couldnt achieve what i want. #!/usr/bin/bash find ./ -type f \( -iname "*.xml" \) | sort -n > fileList sed -i '/\.\/fileList/d' fileList NAMEOFTHISFILE=$(echo $0|sed -e 's/\/()$*.^|/\\&/g') sed -i "/$NAMEOFTHISFILE/d"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gold2k8
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX find duplicate backup files

I would like find and delete old backup files in aix. How would I go about doing this? For example: server1_1-20-2020 server1_1-21-2020 server1_1-22-2020 server1_1-23-2020 server2_1-20-2020 server2_1-21-2020 server2_1-22-2020 server2_1-23-2020 How would I go about finding and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies
MREF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MREF(1)

NAME
mref - make listing and cross reference map of MINIX SYNOPSIS
mref [-dlmstx] [-p n] [-n] file ... OPTIONS
-d Do not produce definition file (global symbol table) -l Do not produce listing -m Multiple references on one line are cited only once -p Set initial page number to n -s Suppress line numbering between procedures -t Generate output for troff -x Do not produce the cross reference map -n Number of lines to print per page, default = 50 EXAMPLES
mref *.[hc] # List and cross reference files .h and .c mref -60 -t *.c # Produce troff input at 60 lines/page mref -dx -p 100 *.c # Listing only, first page is numbered 100 DESCRIPTION
In default mode, mref produces three output files: a numbered listing of the input files (on standard output), a global symbol table (on symbol.out), and a cross reference map to the global symbols (on xref.out). A global symbol in this context is one present in a #define, PUBLIC, PRIVATE, or SYMBOL statement (the latter being introduced to allow users to explicitly declare certain symbols as global). Any of the three outputs can be suppressed, or alternatively, be made suitable for input to troff for typesetting. MREF(1)