Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script remove bad character Post 302713225 by kshji on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 11:30:29 AM
Old 10-10-2012
Code:
# ascii 169 = oct 251
tr -d '\251'

'[\252-\254]' # all ascii between \252 and \254
or list some chars
'\251\253\221'

\NNN = octal value

If you need conversion tool, ex. in ksh93 you can use builtin:
Code:
dec=169
typeset -i 8 oct
oct=$dec
echo $oct
# or binary
typeset -i 2 bin
bin=$dec
echo $bin

Last edited by kshji; 10-10-2012 at 12:38 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Remove Garbage Character

Hello, Whenever I transfer files between machines, I find a garbage character (^M) being appended to the end of every line of the file. Can you suggest a script wherein I can eliminate the garbage character. I tried sed 's/^M//g' < filename > filename1 ...but it doesn't work. Also, this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eddie_The_Head
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to remove first character if it is zero

Hi All, I have a input like this. 01 i want the output like this. 1 But if the input file is like 11 i should not do anything. Can anyone please help to get a command to do this. thanks, Giri. ---------- Post updated at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:04 AM ----------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to remove the last character(.) of a string

hi I have a list of words in a text file. these words are appended by "." at their end. They look something like this. word1. word2. word3. word4. word5. I need to remove the last character "." from all the words. The output must look something like this. word1 word2 word3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad substitution errors in shell script

Hello, I was hoping for a second pair of eyes or a little bit of help figuring out what my error is in a script. I did some searching in the forums and didn't find anything so please forgive me if it a similar problem has been discussed before. My script accepts normal user arguments; however,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jackinthemox
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad character in output file

Hi All, I am facing some problems with bad characters in my file.For example- 00000000509 TCI DEVOFFERS= 1 Now I want to remove all bad characters and replace with *. Please suggest some solution. Along with that How to mention a range of ASCII values in TR command to replace? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
2 Replies

6. Linux

Linux script to remove a character in a file based on position.

Greetings, We have a requirement where we need to loop in a fixed width file in linux and remove a character based on a position for every record. It would highly appreciate if someone can help to automate this. Appreciate your time and help! Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search for a character in files in a Directory & remove it

Hi All, Am new to both Unix & this Forum - Need some help on a script that I am trying to write: In a Directory i have few text files which might or might not contain some text that I am trying to find. Once that text is found in any of the files, it needs to be removed from the file ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rituparna_gupta
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bad substitution error in shell script

I have script data.sh which has following error. Script Name : data.sh #!/bin/sh infile=$1 len=${#infile} echo $len texfile=${infile:0:$len-4} echo $texfile run command ./data.sh acb.xml I get following error message: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: man4ish
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - Get last character from string - Bad Substitution error

I want to get the last character from my machine name using the following code, the default shell is bash, the script runs in ksh. I get 'bad' substitution error on running the script, but works fine if run using dot and space. Why? $ echo $0 bash $ cat -n myenv.sh 1 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				      CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Shell SYNOPSIS
use CPANPLUS::Shell; # load the shell indicated by your # config -- defaults to # CPANPLUS::Shell::Default use CPANPLUS::Shell qw[Classic] # load CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic; my $ui = CPANPLUS::Shell->new(); my $name = $ui->which; # Find out what shell you loaded $ui->shell; # run the ui shell DESCRIPTION
This module is the generic loading (and base class) for all "CPANPLUS" shells. Through this module you can load any installed "CPANPLUS" shell. Just about all the functionality is provided by the shell that you have loaded, and not by this class (which merely functions as a generic loading class), so please consult the documentation of your shell of choice. BUG REPORTS
Please report bugs or other issues to <bug-cpanplus@rt.cpan.org<gt>. AUTHOR
This module by Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT
The CPAN++ interface (of which this module is a part of) is copyright (c) 2001 - 2007, Jos Boumans <kane@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
CPANPLUS::Shell::Default, CPANPLUS::Shell::Classic, cpanp perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 CPANPLUS::Shell(3pm)