Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove some special ascii character Post 302712891 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 10th of October 2012 03:15:32 AM
Old 10-10-2012
Code:
LANG=C tr -d '[\200-\377]' < infile

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove box like special character from end of string

Hi All, How to remove a box like special character which appears at the end of a string/line/record. I have no clue what this box like special character is. It is transparent square like box. This appears in a .DAT file at the end of header. I'm to compare a value in header with a parameter.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special character from a textfile

Can any one plse help me writing shell script to removing some special character pattern (like / > -------, / > / > ------- etc....as shown below) from the text file ASAP. / > ------- <tag-normalization tag-name="EXECSERVPRODUCT" read-only="false" part="body"> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkc
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special character from a specific column

Hello , i have a text file like this : A123 c12AB c32DD aaaa B123 23DS 12QW bbbb C123 2GR 3RG cccccc i want to remove the numbers from second and third column only. i tried this : perl -pe 's///g' file.txt > newfile.txt but it will remove the number from... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelladdict
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special character ($) from file names

Hello I've searched here and on the 'net for examples of a script or command line function that will remove the $ character from all file names only that can be done within the directory that contains the file names - which are all html files. ie, I have a directory that contains html files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: competitions
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is ASCII character?

Hi Guru, I have put one post yesterday and get answer. thanks for your help. my question today is: what is ascii character for following non printable characters: ( we need filter these characters out in another process) ^MM-^E^MM-^E. Old post link: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank space and insert special character

Hi Folks, I have a huge data of the below format abc #apple 1200 06/23 ghj #orange 1500 06/27 uyt #banana 2300 05/13 efg #vegetable 0700 04/16 After first 3 letters, i have 9 spaces and after fruit there are no specific fixed space, but it varies... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove word after special character "/"

Hi There, I have one requirement to remove word after character "/". Input file is 2017-07-12|02|user1l|domain1/userl|0 2017-07-12|02|user2|domain1/user2|5 2017-07-12|02|user3|domain2/user3|0 2017-07-12|02|user4|domain1/user4|432 and require OP file is ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove a word that ends with special character "!"

Hi all. I want to use sed to remove a word that ends with "!" in the first page of a file. The word I want to remove is: "DNA!". I have search for an answer and nothing of what I found helped me. ~faizlo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
2 Replies
escape(1)                                                       Mail Avenger 0.8.3                                                       escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)