Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get 20 lines above string found, and 35 below string Post 302712583 by itkamaraj on Tuesday 9th of October 2012 10:22:18 AM
Old 10-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySmart
i want to search a log for a string. when that string is found, i want to grab the a set number of lines that came before the string, and a set number of lines that come after the string.

so if i search for the word "Error" in the /var/log/messages file, how can I output the 20 lines that came directly before it and the 35 lines that come after it..and also output the line that contained the specified string of "Error"?

im thinking a mixture of sed and awk can work here?

shell: bash
is your OS is linux or SunOS ?

if it is linux, you can use -A -B or -C in grep ( gnu grep )
This User Gave Thanks to itkamaraj For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Can't install Unicode::String due to String.so not found

CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GA/GAAS/Unicode-String-2.09.tar.gz Checking if your kit is complete... Looks good Writing Makefile for Unicode::String cp String.pm blib/lib/Unicode/String.pm cp lib/Unicode/CharName.pm blib/lib/Unicode/CharName.pm /usr/bin/perl /usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/ExtUtils/xsubpp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines after the search string until blank line is found

All I want is to look for the pattern in the file...If I found it at # places... I want print lines after those pattern(line) until I find a blank line. Log EXAMPLE : MT:Exception caught The following Numbers were affected: 1234 2345 2346 Error java.lang.InternalError:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search string in a file and retrieve 10 lines including string line

Hi Guys, I am trying to write a perl script to search a string "Name" in the file "FILE" and also want to create a new file and push the searched string Name line along with 10 lines following the same. can anyone of you please let me know how to go about it ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukrish
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a string with another string is found

finding a string with another string is found EX: abs c/- i want to find /-, then copy abs. i know it's easy use awk, but my problem is the substr syntax. substr($2,2,2) will give me /- but the conflict is /- is not always the second characted of the second string. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: engr.jay
11 Replies

5. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on string and printing line after until another string has been found

Hello Everyone, I just started scripting this week. I have no background in programming or scripting. I'm working on a script to grep for a variable in a log file Heres what the log file looks like. The x's are all random clutter xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx START: xxxxxxxxxxxx... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxc23816
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and write a value to next line of found string

Hi, I have two variables x and y. i need to find a particular string in a file, a workflow name and then insert the values of x and y into the next lines of the workflow name. basically it is like as below wf_xxxxxx $$a= $$b= $$c= figo $$d=bentley i need to grep the 'wf_xxxx' and then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append a string on the next line after a pattern string is found

Right now, my code is: s/Secondary Ins./Secondary Ins.\ 1/g It's adding a 1 as soon as it finds Secondary Ins. Primary Ins.: MEDICARE B DMERC Secondary Ins. 1: CONTINENTAL LIFE INS What I really want to achieve is having a 1 added on the next line that contain "Secondary Ins." It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Move a block of lines to file if string found in the block.

I have a "main" file which has blocks of data for each user defined by tags BEGIN and END. BEGIN ID_NUM:24879 USER:abc123 HOW:47M CMD1:xyz1 CMD2:arp2 STATE:active PROCESS:id60 END BEGIN ID_NUM:24880 USER:def123 HOW:4M CMD1:xyz1 CMD2:xyz2 STATE:running PROCESS:id64 END (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_me
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract lines if string found from last 30 min only

Hi guys, Appreciate your help as I am stuck with searching the logs for last 30 minutes from the current time. Current time is time when you execute the script and it will search for <string> through the logs for last 30 minutes only and if <string> found then print those lines only. The... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockstar
18 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output; unless the -h flag is used, the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ed(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -s No output is produced, only status. -h Do not print filename headers with output lines. -y Lower case letters in the pattern will also match upper case letters in the input (grep only). -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ? ' " ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character matches that character. The character ^ ($) matches the beginning (end) of a line. A . matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by * (+, ?) matches a sequence of 0 or more (1 or more, 0 or 1) matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. GREP(1)