Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting simple while loop script to check a connection Post 302712303 by RudiC on Tuesday 9th of October 2012 04:20:34 AM
Old 10-09-2012
You don't even need the variable:
Code:
while netstat -antu|grep  -q 10.1.1.1; do something; done

The -tu options to netstat will restrict its output to tcp/udp sockets only.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script loop question

Hey all. Thanks in advance for any help you can give, hopefully this is an easy one. I want to create a loop to run a simple performance monitor like vmstat and record it to a file, but have very limited scripting skills (obviously). Starting with this... date >> /var/log/perfmon.log vmstat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattlock73
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash Script to check Remote Host Connection

Hi all, Can anyone tell/guide me how to check remote host is up/running using bash script? Thanks. Zulfiqar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulfikarmd
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check DB connection in unix shell script

In the following script I need to find whether DB is established successfully or not. I need to find and display it. If <DB is connected successfully> then echo "DB connection success" else echo "DB connection failure" fi In the same way I need to do it for DB terminate. I don't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple LOOP script help

I am trying to create a simple ksh loop script. What I've pasted below is not working. Any help is appreciated. typeset -i count typeset -i tcount count=0 tcount=0 while $tcount >= 11 do print "\$count is $count" pwd ls -l sleep 30 $(( $tcount = $count + 1 )) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: musikman65
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple script with while loop getting problem

Hello forum memebers. can you correct the simple while program. #! /bin/ksh count=10 while do echo $count count='expr$count-1' done I think it will print 10 to 1 numbers but it running for indefinite times. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script to Check running Process

#!/bin/sh CHECK='ps aux | grep start.jar | grep -v grep | wc -l' if then /usr/local/jre-1.7.0/bin/java - jar start.jar & else fi Could anybody advise whats up with this code im trying to put this in as a cron job to check that solr search engine is running every 10secs and if... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: will_123
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the connectivity of the DB through script, exit if no connection

check the connectivity of the DBs through script, script should exit if no connection and display the output as below. connectivity for DB1 is OK connectivity for DB2 is OK connectivity for DB3 is FAILED for DB in 1 2 3 do (sqlplus -s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple check login script

Hello, I just started with shell and i am doin simple script to check if certain user is logged in. Script takes 3 args. name sleep time and quit value if there is q for quit then date and user name is printed to file, not to screen. so far i have got this... login() { while :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelllo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Simple script not working- for loop

Hi all, Please guide me writing this script Follwing is the file which I have created, which contains the files to be copied. cat system1-dr.txt /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group /etc/vfstab /etc/profile /etc/default/init /etc/shells /etc/dfs/dfstab /etc/dfs/sharetab... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to check the FTP connection

Hi, I need a script which check the FTP connections, if its working fine then no issue. Incase not working fine then Trigger the mail. Please help on this. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keshav Kalra
4 Replies
inet_type(4)							   File Formats 						      inet_type(4)

NAME
inet_type - default Internet protocol type SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/inet_type DESCRIPTION
The inet_type file defines the default IP protocol to use. Currently this file is only used by the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. The inet_type file can contain a number of <variable>=<value> lines. Currently, the only variable defined is DEFAULT_IP, which can be assigned a value of IP_VERSION4, IP_VERSION6, or BOTH. The output displayed by the ifconfig and netstat commands can be controlled by the value of DEFAULT_IP set in inet_type file. By default, both commands display the IPv4 and IPv6 information available on the system. The user can choose to suppress display of IPv6 information by setting the value of DEFAULT_IP. The following shows the possible values for DEFAULT_IP and the resulting ifconfig and netstat output that will be displayed: IP_VERSION4 Displays only IPv4 related information. The output displayed is backward compatible with older versions of the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. IP_VERSION6 Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. BOTH Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. The command-line options to the ifconfig and netstat commands override the effect of DEFAULT_IP as set in the inet_type file. For example, even if the value of DEFAULT_IP is IP_VERSION4, the command example% ifconfig -a6 will display all IPv6 interfaces. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Suppressing IPv6 Related Output This is what the inet_type file must contain if you want to suppress IPv6 related output: DEFAULT_IP=IP_VERSION4 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), netstat(1M) SunOS 5.10 16 Jun 1999 inet_type(4)