Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk: too many output files created from while loop Post 302712165 by dodgerfan78 on Monday 8th of October 2012 09:55:10 PM
Old 10-08-2012
agama,

Thanks. I ran that command as you suggested and it gave back no input. I am using a spreadsheet editor to make the CSV file so I am positive that there is data in column 7 for every row. It seems to me that my loop somewhere is clearing the value of column 7 then re-reading the dataset against the template.
This User Gave Thanks to dodgerfan78 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

total output from a file created in a while loop

I have a while loop which looks for files and then sets a variable to give me the record count of each file: current_members=`wc -l ${DATA_DIR}/$MEMBERS_FILENAME | nawk '{ printf "%d\n", $0}'` I am out putting the totals into a file: echo $current_members >> ../data/out_total_members.dat ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with a file path as awk output in for loop

When I run the following command in the shell it works fine. It prints a city name and then a path for a file. ~$ for i in `awk -F':' '{print $0}' /home/knoppix/Desktop/data/subs | grep -m 1 $ city | sed "s/:/ /"` >do >echo $i >done Now, when I place it in this shell script (sh) it prints... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: afroCluster
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop returns more output with awk

I need to get total number of hdisk not assigned to any VGs. PDC # lspv |grep None |awk '{print $1}' |wc 131 131 1099 So, it shows 131 hdisks. I need to look at the individual hdisk fget_config info like below: PDC # fget_config -Av |grep hdisk230 hdisk230 dac1 229... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unexpected output within a for loop using awk

Hi all, after hours of playing around with this and scouring the web I decided to ask my fellow UNIX operators as I can't wrap my head around this. First off, I want to parse an input file with tabs (I could pull this off easily with different delimiters) but I was trying to make nicer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output error while loop through array

Have built this script, the output is what I needed, but NR 6 is omitted. Why? Is it an error? I am using Gawk. '{nr=$2;f = $1} END{for (i=1;i<=f;i++) if (nr != i) print i, nr }' input1.csv >output1.csvinput1.csv 1 9 3 5 4 1 7 6 8 5 10 6 output1.csv > with the missing line number 6. 6 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print each output of loop in new column using awk or shell

I have this output from a loop a11 1,2 3,4 5,6 7,8 12,8 5,4 3,6 a12 10,11 12,13 15,18 20,22 a13 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maryre89
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give full access to output files created by .sh script run via crontab?

Hi Expert, I have a .sh script in my home/new_dir/script.sh This script creates number of output files at home/new_dir/email, home/new_dir/logs dir. I am running this script using crontab (owner root). Now this output files are getting created with rw-r----- 1 root root So if i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeet1982
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print awk output in same line ,For loop

My code is something like below. #/bin/bash for i in `ps -ef | grep pmon | grep -v bash | grep -v grep | grep -v perl | grep -v asm | grep -v MGMT|awk '{print $1" "$8}'` do echo $i ORACLE_SID=`echo $line | awk '{print $2}'` USERNAME=`echo $line | awk '{print $1}'` done ============= But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tapia
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output Multiple Files in the For Loop

while IFS= read -r line do # sV for version detection nmap -T4 -Pn -v -sS "$line" > "text/$line" done < <(grep '' $file) Hi, where line represents the IP. I am using NMAP to do scanning. How can I set to execute that command in the loop several concurrently at a time instead of one... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
5 Replies
PSC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PSC(1)

NAME
psc - prepare sc files SYNOPSIS
psc [-fLkrSPv] [-s cell] [-R n] [-C n] [-n n] [-d c] DESCRIPTION
Psc is used to prepare data for input to the spreadsheet calculator sc(1). It accepts normal ascii data on standard input. Standard out- put is a sc file. With no options, psc starts the spreadsheet in cell A0. Strings are right justified. All data on a line is entered on the same row; new input lines cause the output row number to increment by one. The default delimiters are tab and space. The column for- mats are set to one larger than the number of columns required to hold the largest value in the column. OPTIONS
-f Omit column width calculations. This option is for preparing data to be merged with an existing spreadsheet. If the option is not specified, the column widths calculated for the data read by psc will override those already set in the existing spreadsheet. -L Left justify strings. -k Keep all delimiters. This option causes the output cell to change on each new delimiter encountered in the input stream. The default action is to condense multiple delimiters to one, so that the cell only changes once per input data item. -r Output the data by row first then column. For input consisting of a single column, this option will result in output of one row with multiple columns instead of a single column spreadsheet. -s cell Start the top left corner of the spreadsheet in cell. For example, -s B33 will arrange the output data so that the spreadsheet starts in column B, row 33. -R n Increment by n on each new output row. -C n Increment by n on each new output column. -n n Output n rows before advancing to the next column. This option is used when the input is arranged in a single column and the spreadsheet is to have multiple columns, each of which is to be length n. -d c Use the single character c as the delimiter between input fields. -P Plain numbers only. A field is a number only when there is no imbedded [-+eE]. -S All numbers are strings. -v Print the version of psc SEE ALSO
sc(1) AUTHOR
Robert Bond PSC 7.16 19 September 2002 PSC(1)