Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers How to run addtional Shells on top of the default shell Post 302711869 by Bill Thompson on Monday 8th of October 2012 06:48:03 AM
Old 10-08-2012
How to run addtional Shells on top of the default shell

Hi

What is the command to run additional available shells on top of default shell. I am using bash

also how can i tell that the additional shells are actually running?

Also what is the advantage of running additional shells on top of your default login shell of bash?

Lastly How can I terminate the shells I opened What would happens if i accidentally closed the default login shell?

Thanks

Bill thompson

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How do you run Unix on top of Windows?

Okay, so here's my dealio. I have a (rather old) system that runs Windows 98 Second Edition. What i wanna do is be able to run Unix from it. My question is, how do you do that? A friend told me that when you boot up, the computer will ask you which OS you want to run. I'm really not quite clear on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkAngel
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to run different shells which run different processes

Hi, Would like to ask the experts if anyone knows how to run a script like this: dtterm -title shell1 run process1 on shell1 dtterm -title shell2 run process2 on shell2 cheers! p/s: sorry if i used the wrong forum, quite concussed after watching world cup for several nights; but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mochi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question regarding shells and subshells when a script is run

I have the following script running with nohup on one of my servers: #!/bin/bash #\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ #set log number #i=1 #\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ #Check if log exits, if so incrememnt log number up so we don't clobber #while... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
8 Replies

4. HP-UX

how to run top or glance non-interactively using ssh

Hello Am trying to run top /glance non-interactively using ssh from redhat to hp-ux hosts but getting following errors.. ======================= ssh msi 'top -n 1' Sorry, I need to know a more specific terminal type than "unknown". ssh msi top -d1 -n20 > /tmp/top.out Sorry, I need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
3 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

command to run another shell on top of your default shell?

Can someone point me to the right command to to run another shell on top of your default shell? Thanks PS If admin sees this It is not home work. I am old man who wants to learn unix in my spare time. I CURRENTLY DO NOT GO SCHOOL, COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill Thompson
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run additional shells

Hi, unix newbi here. Im currently on the bash shell, what are the commands to run additional shells? for example i want to run csh and then ksh? Thanks. BT. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BillThompson
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps and top in a custom shell

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around implementing top and ps in a custom shell. What I have is a shell that allows you to do basic commands as you would in a regular bash shell, but when I do the ps command, it gives me all of the processes within my regular bash shell rather than my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ziun
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run commands in a script in different shells

Hi to all, i have the following problem... i want to run three commands in a script in different shells... the first command is running always and is needed for the second on to run properly... example # Procedure 1 xterm -e exec1 arg1 arg2 # Procedure 2 xterm -e exec2 arg1 arg2 #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: paladinaeon
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call exeute multiple bash shells from one master shell?

I have few bash shells, which i want to run sequentially, how to create a shell file, and execute/call one after other shell file. I am very new to shell programming. Bult some and running individually and also with crontab scheduler. never had a shell calling other shells, kindly would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)                                                        User Commands                                                       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024). Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (pow- ers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/truncate> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) truncate invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TRUNCATE(1)