Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian VPN service fails after update applied in Debian Squeeze Post 302711615 by r4ym4r on Monday 8th of October 2012 08:53:03 AM
Old 10-08-2012
VPN service fails after update applied in Debian Squeeze

Hello everybody,

I used to log in to my office via PPTP VPN, but on last October 5th I updated my installed Debian Squeeze and it caused my VPN service (client-side) to fail. After this upgrade I'm unable to log in to the VPN server. Here follows the log:

Code:
#tail -f /var/log/messages
Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5/nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so loaded.
pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/2
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Connection terminated.
Modem hangup.
Exit.

According to the log I saved I see the following packages were upgraded:
Code:
libnm-glib-vpn1
network-manager

as well as some others (including the Linux kernel).

I reset my VPN configuration via Gnome's Network Manager without satisfactory results.

The authentication method I use is CHAPv2.

Could you please give me a hand to solve my VPN connection issue?

---------- Post updated 10-08-12 at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous update was 10-07-12 at 07:09 AM ----------

Here you are some new fresh information that might be useful to debug this issue:

root@thunderbox:/home/thor# tail -f /var/log/messages
[
]
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Plugin /usr/lib/pppd/2.4.5/nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so loaded.
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox kernel: [ 244.066976] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Using interface ppp0
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/2
Oct 8 08:21:45 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Connection terminated.
Oct 8 08:21:45 thunderbox pppd[3357]: Exit.

root@thunderbox:/home/thor# tail -f /var/log/debug
[
]
Oct 8 08:21:42 thunderbox modem-manager: (net/ppp0): could not get port's parent device

I think it is specially important this part: modem-manager: (net/ppp0): could not get port's parent device. This looks strange for me. However, I'd noticed this message appears when I open Virtual Box, look at this:

Oct 8 08:48:38 thunderbox modem-manager: (net/vboxnet0): could not get port's parent device

I don't want to deviate what I am looking to be solved, but I think the output above might be useful, too.

How to regain access to my VPN? Please suggest.

Last edited by Scott; 10-07-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Corporate VPN service with separate nets for different users/groups

Hi We are going to host some services for customers with separate private networks for each customer. Each customer will need one or more users. I have to put up a VPN solution, and I would like to use something that will work on "any" platform, easily, without too much... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: signal
0 Replies

2. Solaris

flash update fails

Hi I am trying to update firmware of SF V440 but I am getting below error, Sun Fire V440, No Keyboard Copyright 1998-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. OpenBoot 4.10.10, 4096 MB memory installed, Serial #56988021. Ethernet address 05:30:b0:56:a1:3d, Host ID: 8356a25d. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
3 Replies
GNUNET-VPN(1)						      General Commands Manual						     GNUNET-VPN(1)

NAME
gnunet-vpn - manually setup a GNUnet VPN tunnel SYNOPSIS
gnunet-vpn [options] DESCRIPTION
gnunet-vpn can be used to manually setup a VPN tunnel via the GNUnet network. There are two main types of tunnels. Tunnels to an exit node which routes the traffic to the global Internet, and tunnels to a node that runs a service only within GNUnet. Depending on the type of tunnel, gnunet-vpn takes different options. The "-i" option is required for tunnels to an exit node, whereas the "-p" and "-s" options in conjunction with either "-u" or "-t" are required for tunnels to services. For exit tunnels, both UDP and TCP traffic will be redi- rected. For service tunnels, either UDP ("-u") or TCP ("-t") traffic will be redirected. The tool will display the IP address for this end of the tunnel. The address can be displayed as soon as it has been allocated, or only after ("-a") the tunnel has been created. OPTIONS
-4, --ipv4 Desired IP address on this end of the tunnel should be an IPv4 address. -6, --ipv6 Desired IP address on this end of the tunnel should be an IPv6 address. -a, --after-connect Display IP address only after the tunnel is fully connected. -c FILENAME, --config=FILENAME Use the configuration file FILENAME. -d SEC, --duration SEC The mapping should be established for SEC seconds. Default is 5 minutes. -h, --help Print short help on options. -i IP, --ip IP Tunnel should be to an exit node and connect to the given IPv4 or IPv6 IP address. Note that you can specify an IPv6 address as the target here, even in combination with "-4" (4to6) and similarly you can specify an IPv4 address in combination with "-6" (6to4). -L LOGLEVEL, --loglevel=LOGLEVEL Use LOGLEVEL for logging. Valid values are DEBUG, INFO, WARNING and ERROR. -p PEERID, --peer=PEERID Name of the peer offering the service to connect to. Cannot be used in conjunction with "-i", requires "-s". -s NAME, --service=NAME Name of the service running on the target peer. Cannot be used in conjunction with "-i", requires "-p". -t, --tcp Service runs TCP. Either "-t" or "-u" must be specified when using "-s". -u, --udp Service runs UDP. Either "-t" or "-u" must be specified when using "-s". -V, --verbose Be verbose. -v, --version Print GNUnet version number. BUGS
Report bugs by using Mantis <https://gnunet.org/bugs/> or by sending electronic mail to <gnunet-developers@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
gnunet-setup(1) GNUnet 25 Feb 2012 GNUNET-VPN(1)