Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multi platform script perl or awk Post 302711509 by Chubler_XL on Saturday 6th of October 2012 05:13:24 PM
Old 10-06-2012
Thanks guys I know something was consuming the additional backslashes.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running a Perl script on HPUX platform

Hi, I wish to execute a simple perl script to pass unix commands on a HPUX platform, retrieve the result and filter through the text to determine outcomes x,y and z. I am developing the code on my windows system. I initially wrote the code to issue UNIX commands line by line, however i soon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmetcalfe
1 Replies

2. Programming

Multi-platform includes?

I know that <cstudio> can also be <stdio> and can be written different ways on Linux then with windows. I've see some code doing a IFDEF __APPLE__ (I'm guessing, if compiled on a mac do whats between this) Is there one for Linux/Window? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2432
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multi-platform Centralized Patch Management

We have a mix of AIX, HP-UX, Linux (RHEL and SLES), and Solaris in our environment. Currently we have seperate patch management systems for each platform (NIM, SD, Spacewalk, etc), but have started looking for a centralized patch management solution that would work for most, if not all, of our... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kknigga
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

5. Solaris

Application not working in multi core platform

Hi, I have a multiprocess C application (used POSIX library for threads and fork() & exec for creating process) of millions of LOC. 1. Which works fine in single processor machine. 2. Which works fine in multicore machine only if one core is enabled. Problem is, which results an undefined... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejesh
2 Replies
ECHO(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo -- write arguments to the standard output SYNOPSIS
echo [-n] [string ...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes any specified operands, separated by single blank (' ') characters and followed by a newline (' ') character, to the standard output. The following option is available: -n Do not print the trailing newline character. The end-of-options marker -- is not recognized and written literally. The newline may also be suppressed by appending 'c' to the end of the string, as is done by iBCS2 compatible systems. Note that the -n option as well as the effect of 'c' are implementation-defined in IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. For porta- bility, echo should only be used if the first argument does not start with a hyphen ('-') and does not contain any backslashes (''). If this is not sufficient, printf(1) should be used. Most shells provide a builtin echo command which tends to differ from this utility in the treatment of options and backslashes. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The echo utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), printf(1), sh(1) STANDARDS
The echo utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. BSD
November 12, 2010 BSD