Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help me pls : splitting single file in unix into different files based on data Post 302711397 by RudiC on Saturday 6th of October 2012 04:39:44 AM
Old 10-06-2012
For the colouring of lines, I leave this for your exercise. For the first line, you may want to print your colour escape sequences around the a in the print a > fn statement.
For the file numbering, try:
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{FS="[\\\|]"} /Layout/{a=$0; getline; fn=$14(++A[$14]);  print a >fn } a{print > fn}' file

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting files based on text in the file

I need to split a file based on certain context inside the file. Is there a unix command that can do this? I have looked into split and csplit but it does not seem like those would work because I need to split this file based on certain text. The file has multiple records and I need to split this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrix1067
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting large file into multiple files in unix based on pattern

I need to write a shell script for below scenario My input file has data in format: qwerty0101TWE 12345 01022005 01022005 datainala alanfernanded 26 qwerty0101mXZ 12349 01022005 06022008 datainalb johngalilo 28 qwerty0101TWE 12342 01022005 07022009 datainalc hitalbert 43 qwerty0101CFG 12345... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy12
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data Splitting into two files from one file

I have a file as: I/P File: Ground Car 2009 Lib 2008 Lib 2003 Ground Car 2009 Ground Car 2003 Car 2005 Car 2003 Car 2005 Sita 2900 2006 Car 2007 I have to split the file into two: - one for names and second for years. O/p1 (Names): Ground Car (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting single file into n files

Hi all, I am new to scripting and I have a requirement we have source file as HEADER 01.10.2010 14:32:37 NAYA TA0022 TA0000 20000001;20060612;99991231;K4;02;3 20000008;20080624;99991231;K4;02;3 20000026;19840724;99991231;KK;01;3 20000027;19840724;99991231;KK;01;3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srk409
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent ...pls Sorting files based on timestamp and picking the latest file

Hi Friends, Newbie to shell scripting. Currently i have used the below to sort data based on filenames and datestamp $ printf '%s\n' *.dat* | sort -t. -k3,4 filename_1.dat.20120430.Z filename_2.dat.20120430.Z filename_3.dat.20120430.Z filename_1.dat.20120501.Z filename_2.dat.20120501.Z... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robertbrown624
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: Splitting A large File into smaller files based on recursive Regular Expression match

I will simplify the explaination a bit, I need to parse through a 87m file - I have a single text file in the form of : <NAME>house........ SOMETEXT SOMETEXT SOMETEXT . . . . </script> MORETEXT MORETEXT . . . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting data from one file, based on another file (splitting)

Dear All, I have two files but want to extract data from one based on another... can you please help me file 1 David Tom Ellen and file 2 David|0010|testnamez|resultsz David|0004|testnamex|resultsx Tom|0010|testnamez|resultsz Tom|0004|testnamex|resultsx Ellen|0010|testnamez|resultsz... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a single file to multiple files

Hi Friends , Please guide me with the code to extract multiple files from one file . The File Looks like ( Suppose a file has 2 tables list ,column length may vary ) H..- > File Header.... H....- >Table 1 Header.... D....- > Table 1 Data.... T....- >Table 1 Trailer.... H..-> Table 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AspiringD
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a single file into multiple files based on a value.

Hi All, I have the sales_data.csv file in the directory as below. SDDCCR; SOM ; MD6546474777 ;05-JAN-16 ABC ; KIRAN ; CB789 ;04-JAN-16 ABC ; RAMANA; KS566767477747 ;06-JAN-16 ABC ; KAMESH; A33535335 ;04-JAN-16 SDDCCR; DINESH; GD6674474747 ;08-JAN-16... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PErl script: need to read the data one file and generate multiple files based on the data

We have the data looks like below in a log file. I want to generat files based on the string between two hash(#) symbol like below Source: #ext1#test1.tale2 drop #ext1#test11.tale21 drop #ext1#test123.tale21 drop #ext2#test1.tale21 drop #ext2#test12.tale21 drop #ext3#test11.tale21 drop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
5 Replies
AWK(1)							      General Commands Manual							    AWK(1)

NAME
awk - pattern scanning and processing language SYNOPSIS
awk [ -Fc ] [ prog ] [ file ] ... DESCRIPTION
Awk scans each input file for lines that match any of a set of patterns specified in prog. With each pattern in prog there can be an asso- ciated action that will be performed when a line of a file matches the pattern. The set of patterns may appear literally as prog, or in a file specified as -f file. Files are read in order; if there are no files, the standard input is read. The file name `-' means the standard input. Each line is matched against the pattern portion of every pattern-action statement; the associated action is performed for each matched pattern. An input line is made up of fields separated by white space. (This default can be changed by using FS, vide infra.) The fields are denoted $1, $2, ... ; $0 refers to the entire line. A pattern-action statement has the form pattern { action } A missing { action } means print the line; a missing pattern always matches. An action is a sequence of statements. A statement can be one of the following: if ( conditional ) statement [ else statement ] while ( conditional ) statement for ( expression ; conditional ; expression ) statement break continue { [ statement ] ... } variable = expression print [ expression-list ] [ >expression ] printf format [ , expression-list ] [ >expression ] next # skip remaining patterns on this input line exit # skip the rest of the input Statements are terminated by semicolons, newlines or right braces. An empty expression-list stands for the whole line. Expressions take on string or numeric values as appropriate, and are built using the operators +, -, *, /, %, and concatenation (indicated by a blank). The C operators ++, --, +=, -=, *=, /=, and %= are also available in expressions. Variables may be scalars, array elements (denoted x[i]) or fields. Variables are initialized to the null string. Array subscripts may be any string, not necessarily numeric; this allows for a form of associative memory. String constants are quoted "...". The print statement prints its arguments on the standard output (or on a file if >file is present), separated by the current output field separator, and terminated by the output record separator. The printf statement formats its expression list according to the format (see printf(3)). The built-in function length returns the length of its argument taken as a string, or of the whole line if no argument. There are also built-in functions exp, log, sqrt, and int. The last truncates its argument to an integer. substr(s, m, n) returns the n-character sub- string of s that begins at position m. The function sprintf(fmt, expr, expr, ...) formats the expressions according to the printf(3) for- mat given by fmt and returns the resulting string. Patterns are arbitrary Boolean combinations (!, ||, &&, and parentheses) of regular expressions and relational expressions. Regular expressions must be surrounded by slashes and are as in egrep. Isolated regular expressions in a pattern apply to the entire line. Regu- lar expressions may also occur in relational expressions. A pattern may consist of two patterns separated by a comma; in this case, the action is performed for all lines between an occurrence of the first pattern and the next occurrence of the second. A relational expression is one of the following: expression matchop regular-expression expression relop expression where a relop is any of the six relational operators in C, and a matchop is either ~ (for contains) or !~ (for does not contain). A condi- tional is an arithmetic expression, a relational expression, or a Boolean combination of these. The special patterns BEGIN and END may be used to capture control before the first input line is read and after the last. BEGIN must be the first pattern, END the last. A single character c may be used to separate the fields by starting the program with BEGIN { FS = "c" } or by using the -Fc option. Other variable names with special meanings include NF, the number of fields in the current record; NR, the ordinal number of the current record; FILENAME, the name of the current input file; OFS, the output field separator (default blank); ORS, the output record separator (default newline); and OFMT, the output format for numbers (default "%.6g"). EXAMPLES
Print lines longer than 72 characters: length > 72 Print first two fields in opposite order: { print $2, $1 } Add up first column, print sum and average: { s += $1 } END { print "sum is", s, " average is", s/NR } Print fields in reverse order: { for (i = NF; i > 0; --i) print $i } Print all lines between start/stop pairs: /start/, /stop/ Print all lines whose first field is different from previous one: $1 != prev { print; prev = $1 } SEE ALSO
lex(1), sed(1) A. V. Aho, B. W. Kernighan, P. J. Weinberger, Awk - a pattern scanning and processing language BUGS
There are no explicit conversions between numbers and strings. To force an expression to be treated as a number add 0 to it; to force it to be treated as a string concatenate "" to it. AWK(1)