Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Append users if GID exists
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append users if GID exists Post 302711227 by DGPickett on Friday 5th of October 2012 02:20:45 PM
Old 10-05-2012
It sounds like you could egrep or sed or awk or bash a list as it downloads, just keeping what you want for a list of users.

$Variables are not evaluated inside single quotes (not much is, so I prefer them, generally).

No point in going through the file twice, with sed and grep.

Red hat exact identity is in /etc/*red*hat* !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

append 3 users in /etc/passwd

I am looking to add 3 lines in /etc/passwd via a script. Can you please give me an idea on how to write a script that can do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GID & UID for HP-UX ?

Hi, can somebody tell me how to make directoriy in which all files will be generated as dir owner ? I'm able to add GID for directory group and files have group id like folder , but when i do same for user files still are created as user which creates them :( drwsrwsrwx 2 flexbul ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pp56825
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rm: Unable to remove directory /mnt/users/test/logs/: File exists

rm: Unable to remove directory /mnt/users/test/logs/: File exists ls -latr total 191208 drwxrwxrwx 6 test echo 4096 Jul 3 22:36 .. -rwxrwxrwx 1 test echo 97692804 Jul 3 22:36 .nfsDFA4 drwxrwxr-x 2 test echo 4096 Jul 3 23:00 . M not able to delete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solitare123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find, if exists then append for file with same name

I will have to process multiple files with same name everyday. My requirement is: If on a certain day I see that filename.txt exists then the contents of the filename.txt would be added/append to the former file contents.Each time it sees the file the content would be added.But the header ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
8 Replies

5. AIX

script for finding all the users with GID 0 ( admin group )

Hi Friends, I am trying to write a script for finding all the users with the GID 0 i.e. Admin users. can you please help me on this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anoopraok
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get the gid from a group name

Hi there, One can easily retrieve the uid from a username : id -u $username But how can we easily retrieve the gid from a group name? I mean is there a command without using sed? sed -nr "s/^$groupname:x:(+):.*/\1/p" /etc/group Thanks for your help Santiago (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uid ,gid value change

Present /home/dsadm# id dsadm uid=0(root) gid=0(root) ---------------------------------- needs to be /home/dsadm> id dsadm uid=23186(dsadm) gid=16284(gdstage) Please provide the command/steps for the above uid, gid value change Thanks in advance for all your support . ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find users with root UID or GID or root home

I need to list users in /etc/passwd with root's GID or UID or /root as home directory If we have these entries in /etc/passwd root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash rootgooduser1:x:100:100::/home/gooduser1:/bin/bash baduser1:x:0:300::/home/baduser1:/bin/bash... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
6 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Display info about users (UID GID processes terminal)

I would like to get an opinion for my solution for this task and get feedback about better approach or mistakes I have made. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to create a script which prints information about users whose names are specified in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kornfan
2 Replies
GROUP(5)                                                     Linux Programmer's Manual                                                    GROUP(5)

NAME
group - user group file DESCRIPTION
The /etc/group file is a text file that defines the groups on the system. There is one entry per line, with the following format: group_name:password:GID:user_list The fields are as follows: group_name the name of the group. password the (encrypted) group password. If this field is empty, no password is needed. GID the numeric group ID. user_list a list of the usernames that are members of this group, separated by commas. FILES
/etc/group BUGS
As the 4.2BSD initgroups(3) man page says: no one seems to keep /etc/group up-to-date. SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), gpasswd(1), groups(1), login(1), newgrp(1), sg(1), getgrent(3), getgrnam(3), gshadow(5), passwd(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2016-10-08 GROUP(5)