Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk == with a variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk == with a variable Post 302711217 by Corona688 on Friday 5th of October 2012 02:05:18 PM
Old 10-05-2012
You cannot use == on a list of numbers. It will check if column 7 is equal to "1234 1235", see that it isn't, and return false. You'll have to split it in the BEGIN section. If you put it in an array like B["12345"]=1, you can check without a loop.

Since you need it in the BEGIN section, you will have to put the variable in with -v before, not VAR= afterwards. When you put in variables at the end, they get assigned when awk starts reading files, after BEGIN happens.

Code:
awk -v N="1234 5678" 'BEGIN { split(N,X); for(L in X) B[A[X]]=1 } $7 in B' inputfile

Last edited by Corona688; 10-05-2012 at 03:41 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

really stuck- need to get a variable within a variable- AWK

Hi all, I have been struggling with this all day, and it is key to a conversion database I have to write. The data converts the information out of an array using AWK, and basically all I have to do is figure out how to get the value of a variable inside a variable. Right now at its... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign variable with -v didn't work in awk filter

I want to filter 2nd column = 2 using awk $ cat t 1 2 2 4 $ VAR=2 #variable worked in print $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR ' { print ID}' 2 2 # but variable didn't work in awk filter $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR '$2~/ID/ { print $0}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help. how to compare a variable with a data array in AWK?

Hi all, i have a data array as follows. array=ertfgj2345 array=456ttygkd . . . array=errdjt3235 so number or elements in the array can varies depending on how big the data input is. now i have a variable, and it is $1 (there are $2, $3 and so on, i am only interested in $1). ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print variable then fields in variable

i have this variable: varT="1--2--3--5" i want to use awk to print field 3 from this variable. i dont want to do the "echo $varT". but here's my awk code: awk -v valA="$varT" "BEGIN {print valA}" this prints the entire line. i feel like i'm so close to getting what i want. i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping for one variable while using awk to parse an associated variable

Im trying to search for a single variable in the first field and from that output use awk to extract out the lines that contain a value less than a value stored in another variable. Both the variables are associated with each other. Any guidance is appreciated. File that contains the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies
Test::use::ok(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  Test::use::ok(3)

NAME
Test::use::ok - Alternative to Test::More::use_ok SYNOPSIS
use ok 'Some::Module'; DESCRIPTION
According to the Test::More documentation, it is recommended to run "use_ok()" inside a "BEGIN" block, so functions are exported at compile-time and prototypes are properly honored. That is, instead of writing this: use_ok( 'Some::Module' ); use_ok( 'Other::Module' ); One should write this: BEGIN { use_ok( 'Some::Module' ); } BEGIN { use_ok( 'Other::Module' ); } However, people often either forget to add "BEGIN", or mistakenly group "use_ok" with other tests in a single "BEGIN" block, which can create subtle differences in execution order. With this module, simply change all "use_ok" in test scripts to "use ok", and they will be executed at "BEGIN" time. The explicit space after "use" makes it clear that this is a single compile-time action. SEE ALSO
Test::More CC0 1.0 Universal To the extent possible under law, XX has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to Test-use-ok. This work is published from Taiwan. <http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0> POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 45: Non-ASCII character seen before =encoding in 'XX'. Assuming UTF-8 perl v5.18.2 2012-09-11 Test::use::ok(3)