Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl inline replace only on 1st line Post 302710817 by balajesuri on Friday 5th of October 2012 02:36:37 AM
Old 10-05-2012
Or:
Code:
| xargs perl -i -pe 'if(eof){s/...........'

Or you may use sed too:
For substituting in first line: sed -i '1s///g'

For substituting in last line: sed -i '$s///g'
This User Gave Thanks to balajesuri For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Search and replace entire line

I have a perl function in my script that needs to replace an entire line in a file sub changestate { my $base = (); my @base = (); open(BASE, $file) || die("Could not open file!"); @base=<BASE>; close (BASE); foreach $base(@base) { if($base =~... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: insania
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace only 1st word of a line if it comes in the subsequent lines at same postion.

I have a file like this.. Maharastra Mumbai worli Maharastra Mumbai navy maharatra Pune Maharastra Nagpur Karnataka Bangalore Karnataka Mysore Karnataka Mangalore Punjab Amritsar punjab Jalandar my expected outcome should be like this Maharastra Mumbai worli ---------- ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: geeko
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inline searc and replace inside file

Hello, I have a text file that i want to redirect into a new file , searching and replacing certain string during the opertaion. This should be done using shell script , so it should not be interactive. The script should get four parameters : source file target file source string target... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace line via perl script of file

Hi All, I wanted to do following. 1) If file exit then open file for reading and check if my string is there then i wanted to replace the entire line with that string + something else then close the file. 2) If file does not exit then i need to open the file and write to it. I am done with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tarun24
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: replace multiple word on a line

Hi All, If I have a line as following: ( MA "vertical" ) How can I convert it to as below: ( BC "horizontal" ) Thanks, --Michael (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mxn731
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Conditional replace based on previous and current value in a line

I need to read the contents of a file. Then I need to grep for a keyword and replace part of the grepped line based on the condition of previous and present line. Example input file: V { port1 = P; port2 = 0; shift_port = P0; /* if next shift_port is P0 I need... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen@
9 Replies

8. Programming

Perl : Inline program to determine file size

Hi, I have 5 files as below $ ll sam* -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Mar 21 06:06 sam3 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 0 Apr 3 22:41 sam2 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 17335 Apr 10 06:07 sam1 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 5 Apr 10 07:53 sam5 -rw-rw-rw- 1 sam ugroup 661 Apr 10 08:16 sam4 I want to list out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
4 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Grep inline use perl

Hi, i have input like this : SS-ID VLAN MAC TIME IP RSSI MODE UAPSD BW GI WMOS DHCP IDENTITY ----- ---- --- ---- -- ---- ---- ----- -- -- ---- ---- -------- 1-1 0 C4:46:19:75:C1:55 23m 192.168.5.253 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search and replace a line in perl

Hi All, i can replace a perticular value in sentence using perl. perl -pi -e 's/old/new/' sample.txt but i am not able to replace whole string by perl. file1 contains "jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.147.109.211)(PORT=1526))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID= MWDBD22)))". i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
3 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)