Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Filesystem using Oracle and mirroring VG ? Post 302710703 by bakunin on Thursday 4th of October 2012 05:07:11 PM
Old 10-04-2012
filosophizer, it is impossible to teach someone the job over the net. funksen has given you some useful pointers already but if you lack the basics to even understand what he is telling you we can't help you. How to benchmark I/O is learned by understanding how storage technology works, how Unix kernels work, how disks are accessed, by which strategies relational databases (in your case Oracle) optimize disk access and probably some other areas of competence you seriously lack.

To learn all this funksen has probably read several books, a lot of documents plus had some years of experience. How is he supposed to transfer this accumulated amount of knowledge to you here in a few articles? This is impossible.

It is not ill will from our side, but there is probably only one way for you: learn starting from the basics, the same way as he did. Over time you will arrive at the same point as funksen, but neither without effort nor in short time. It took him some years of experience and it will take you the same time to know what he knows.

You come across like a first grader, eager to solve math problems involving advanced calculus and now expect the teacher to tell you how to solve it. In order for you to understand his explanation he would have to explain so many things which in turn will need explanation too, etc., ad infinitum, that you are probably best off pursuing a sound education in systems administration. This, alas, is beyond our scope here.

To finally answer your question:

Quote:
so what would the benchmark indicate, i mean how can we read it. If it indicates high I/O then after mirroring it would be even higher ? right ?
No, not right. It depends. It depends on so many things you can only find out by first benchmarking the system and then interpreting the values produced by these benchmarks that an answer is simply impossible.

It is not even clear your system is really I/O-bound as you claim: how have you analyzed that and by applying which methods did you arrive at this conclusion? Have you run filemon? vmstat? iostat? What is the OS level (different AIX versions need different tuning parameters)? What is the contents of "/etc/tunables/lastboot"? Which size is the SGA? What is the cache hit/miss statistics in Oracle?

The answers to all these (and a lot more) questions are (or could be) factors if it comes to the I/O-performance of a database. Given the info you have presented until now we could as well toss a coin and answer "friday".

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 10-04-2012 at 06:18 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Mirroring

I am running Solaris 10 and i need to mirror a 73 gig HD. How do you mirror one in Solaris? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dewsdwarfs
2 Replies

2. SCO

Mirroring

How Can I Do Mirroring In Unix? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DIMITRIOSDOUMOS
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Filesystem - error when extend the filesystem

Hi all, currently , my root filesystem already reach 90 ++% I already add more cylinder in the root partition as below Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 67 - 5086 38.46GB (5020/0/0) 80646300 1 swap wu 1 - ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies

4. Solaris

Mirroring

Hi All i wish to mirror the root disk, but i face the below error. root@saturn # metainit d11 1 1 c0t0d0s0 metainit: saturn: c0t0d0s0: is mounted on / kindly assist... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
27 Replies

5. AIX

fsck ran on a filesystem hosting an oracle DB ?

One of our tasks in the office is to do database backups. We were taught (us all operators working here) that it is done via a bunch of specialized scripts. Those scripts are at least 10 years old (system is an AIX 4.1). One of those script does an fsck against the databases. Everytimes we run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies

8. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

9. AIX

Anyone has experience with mirroring vg for Oracle Database and Application

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any experience or information regarding mirroring volume group which has the filesystem running Oracle Database and Application E-business suite. Will this deteriorate the performance for the users ? Secondly, if one of mirrored disk fails, will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies
PURITY(6)                                                          Games Manual                                                          PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)