Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dump Files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dump Files Post 302710591 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 4th of October 2012 03:01:34 PM
Old 10-04-2012
Your question needs a tuneup:
What type of database - Oracle, mysql....what?
Do you know the actual command to dump an object for your database software?
What OS and shell are you using?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump?

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aileen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tarring and gzipping dump files

Say I want to transfer several dump files from a Solaris machine onto a Win2k machine for storage. It was suggested that I tar and gzip the dump files before doing so. Is it completely necessary to use both of these utilities, or is it sufficient to compress multiple dump files into one gzip... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PSC
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

hp dump files

Does anyone know where the location of HP-UX dump files get written too, when I do a system reset from the CM issuing a TC, its will always do a system dump, but not sure where the dump is located. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

identifying core dump files.

I have come into a business environtment problem and had been 10+ years since the last time I did any unix admin work. A long time ago some mainframe person created an app that talked to a mainframe on UNIX and wrote a c program with "core" in the file name to indicate that the file was the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcooke2002
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Process does not dump any core files when crashed even if coredumpsize is unlimited

Hello Im using redhat and try to debug my application , its crashes and in strace I also see it has problems , but I can't see any core dump I configured all the limit ( im using .cshrc ) and it looks like this : cputime unlimited filesize unlimited datasize unlimited... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large zone file dump into multiple files

I have a large zone file dump that consists of ; DNS record for the adomain.com domain data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 CRLF CRLF CRLF ; DNS record for the anotherdomain.com domain data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 data6 CRLF (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bluemerlin
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple .gz decompress files and dump other directory

I have code below for i in *.gz; do gzip -dc $i /home/vizion/Desktop/gzipfile/; done one more for i in *.gz; do gunzip -dc $i /home/vizion/Desktop/gzipfile/; done both are getting error: "gunzip: /home/vizion/Desktop/gzipfile/ is a directory -- ignored " i have requirement below in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
3 Replies
PG_DUMPALL(1)						  PostgreSQL Client Applications					     PG_DUMPALL(1)

NAME
pg_dumpall - extract a PostgreSQL database cluster into a script file SYNOPSIS
pg_dumpall [ options... ] DESCRIPTION
pg_dumpall is a utility for writing out (``dumping'') all PostgreSQL databases of a cluster into one script file. The script file contains SQL commands that can be used as input to psql(1) to restore the databases. It does this by calling pg_dump(1) for each database in a clus- ter. pg_dumpall also dumps global objects that are common to all databases. (pg_dump does not save these objects.) This currently includes the information about database users and groups. Thus, pg_dumpall is an integrated solution for backing up your databases. But note a limitation: it cannot dump ``large objects'', since pg_dump cannot dump such objects into text files. If you have databases containing large objects, they should be dumped using one of pg_dump's non-text output modes. Since pg_dumpall reads tables from all databases you will most likely have to connect as a database superuser in order to produce a com- plete dump. Also you will need superuser privileges to execute the saved script in order to be allowed to add users and groups, and to cre- ate databases. The SQL script will be written to the standard output. Shell operators should be used to redirect it into a file. pg_dumpall might need to connect several times to the PostgreSQL server, asking for a password each time. It is convenient to have a $HOME/.pgpass file in such cases. OPTIONS
The following command-line options are used to control the output format. -c --clean Include SQL commands to clean (drop) the databases before recreating them. -d --inserts Dump data as INSERT commands (rather than COPY). This will make restoration very slow, but it makes the output more portable to other RDBMS packages. -D --column-inserts --attribute-inserts Dump data as INSERT commands with explicit column names (INSERT INTO table (column, ...) VALUES ...). This will make restoration very slow, but it is necessary if you desire to rearrange column ordering. -g --globals-only Dump only global objects (users and groups), no databases. -i --ignore-version Ignore version mismatch between pg_dumpall and the database server. pg_dumpall can handle databases from previous releases of PostgreSQL, but very old versions are not supported anymore (currently prior to 7.0). Use this option if you need to override the version check (and if pg_dumpall then fails, don't say you weren't warned). -o --oids Dump object identifiers (OIDs) for every table. Use this option if your application references the OID columns in some way (e.g., in a foreign key constraint). Otherwise, this option should not be used. -v --verbose Specifies verbose mode. This will cause pg_dumpall to print progress messages to standard error. The following command-line options control the database connection parameters. -h host Specifies the host name of the machine on which the database server is running. If host begins with a slash, it is used as the directory for the Unix domain socket. The default is taken from the PGHOST environment variable, if set, else a Unix domain socket connection is attempted. -p port The port number on which the server is listening. Defaults to the PGPORT environment variable, if set, or a compiled-in default. -U username Connect as the given user. -W Force a password prompt. This should happen automatically if the server requires password authentication. Long options are only available on some platforms. ENVIRONMENT
PGHOST PGPORT PGUSER Default connection parameters. NOTES
Since pg_dumpall calls pg_dump internally, some diagnostic messages will refer to pg_dump. pg_dumpall will need to connect several times to the PostgreSQL server. If password authentication is configured, it will ask for a pass- word each time. In that case it would be convenient to set up a password file. [Comment: But where is that password file documented?] EXAMPLES
To dump all databases: $ pg_dumpall > db.out To reload this database use, for example: $ psql -f db.out template1 (It is not important to which database you connect here since the script file created by pg_dumpall will contain the appropriate commands to create and connect to the saved databases.) SEE ALSO
pg_dump(1), psql(1). Check there for details on possible error conditions. Application 2002-11-22 PG_DUMPALL(1)